Tipping Getting Out of Control

Mark80

11 hours ago, Augie said:

Our oldest son was a wild card, but with a good heart. I found a can of orange spray paint in his car one time. Naturally, you need to ask “what was the paint for?” He stammered for a bit, but then admitted he went with a buddy from the football team to go cow tipping one night. The poor cows were so innocent and unaware, and they didn’t have it in their hearts to rock them to the ground, so they......”decorated them” instead. 

Good thing. @Boyst62 will tell you that cow tipping is a myth.

15 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You're the first person I've ever heard of complaining about getting hooked up.

You'll never be happy.

Not that I mind getting hooked up, but I'm friends with the owners of the bars I patronize and don't want to see them go out of business because their employees are looking for a quick buck. It's not like bar ownership is a gold mind. Also, my brother owns a bar. He's there every day so this rarely happens to him. 

10 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

You are correct.  Worked my thru college as a waiter and the tip was always pre-tax.  Post tax is one of my pet peeves.

what does an American know about taxes on non-necessities???

11 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You would think... There would be a way to block them with computers. Lot of spoofing going on.  Got into an argument with someone who called my cell.  They said I called, I said no, they said my # on their caller Id.  LoL... How the heck are they spoofing #s.

At least a cell, you can block the #.

I agree.

Lots of gratuitous stuff consumers are bombarded with today... And they always make bad choices.

You can block it on a land line, too. Hit *612 and you an block that number. Problem is, they have trunk lines with multiple numbers and the calls just keep coming. BOO! 

• Sad 1

On 5/28/2019 at 11:13 AM, Gugny said:

I don't mind tipping for delivery.  Why?  Because of the convenience of not having to leave my house for dinner.

If I'm using my time, my car and my gas to get my food that I'm paying for with my money ... I'll be damned if I'm going to tip someone for giving me the food.

I haven't read the whole thread, so please excuse this if it has already been mentioned...

Did they just give it to you or did they pack it up? Did they swap the baked beans for the cole slaw? Did the make sure you got the BBQ chicken and not the plain chicken? White meat only? No onions on your side salad? Dressing was packed, correct, and not forgotten? Was your order for the entire family and each one had their own special instructions? Have you ever been pissed off when you got home and your to-go order was completely FUBAR'd?

Many times, they are not just giving you your food.

16 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I dread when I go to the bathroom somewhere and there is a bathroom attendant.  

they know what cologne to put on you so you can swing like Sinatra

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

My husband calls me The Patron Saint of Service Workers as he feels I overtip for everything. However, I will not tip for take-out. I tip for delivery, but not for getting my food together that I then I have to pick it up.  

This is how I feel.  I've served and bartended.  Bartenders are generally the person who handles the take out orders and when I did, I didn't expect a tip.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

My husband calls me The Patron Saint of Service Workers as he feels I overtip for everything. However, I will not tip for take-out. I tip for delivery, but not for getting my food together that I then I have to pick it up.  

when I've paid the bill at Chinese restaurants, people at my table of that background have upbraided me for being way too generous....

okay....

people are going to whine and kvetch over an extra $3 ????

12 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Professional beggars.  Same with the professional charities that beg on the phone for the widows and orphans... We must not be paying them well enough?

Those that call on phone are almost always commissioned sales agents who get a large percentage of donation.  I will tell charities that I will not donate to those who use sales agents not only on phone but other means as well.  Most of my donations are via work who does some matching anyways but those companies are always crossed off list.

Worse police donation solicitation was when a cop showed up at my door trying to get donation for some police fund.  The same cop was making his quota by watching brake lights and issuing tickets for not stopping long enough coasting to a stop in our neighborhood.  The place he choose was right past a playground on a very short road so naturally drivers were already going slow hence not need to brake as long to go complete stop.  I went to court on issue and twice he dodged court having postcards sent too late to arrive before court date.  On third court date he was there and judge asked if he was ready to present cases he said yes.  After all of those who pleaded guilty was done judge processed my ticket (I was in court for more than  2 hours waiting at that point) I presented my case including map of area with pictures of all intersections showing stop signs at each, speed limit sign of 15 miles mph by playground and distances measures.  Explained my points and then judge asked police officer for his rebuttal and police officer stated he did not bring paperwork.  Judge told him that he was never to show up in court again unprepared and he should cite him for contempt of court for lying saying he was ready to present cases.  Case was dismissed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SDS said:

I haven't read the whole thread, so please excuse this if it has already been mentioned...

Did they just give it to you or did they pack it up? Did they swap the baked beans for the cole slaw? Did the make sure you got the BBQ chicken and not the plain chicken? White meat only? No onions on your side salad? Dressing was packed, correct, and not forgotten? Was your order for the entire family and each one had their own special instructions? Have you ever been pissed off when you got home and your to-go order was completely FUBAR'd?

Many times, they are not just giving you your food.

Fair questions.

My only sticking point is .... it's their job to get it right.  No one is going above and beyond by giving me the food that I asked for. 

One could say the same for delivery drivers and/or servers ... but servers are paid a smaller hourly wage, so tips are a significant piece of their income.  Drivers are using their gas and putting wear/tear on their cars - so I don't mind tipping them, either.

Don't get me wrong ... I appreciate when I get home and my order is correct (Burger King actually forgot an item when we got takeout and yes - my son was pissed).  I just think that's a basic expectation that doesn't warrant any extra money.

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Fair questions.

My only sticking point is .... it's their job to get it right.  No one is going above and beyond by giving me the food that I asked for. 

One could say the same for delivery drivers and/or servers ... but servers are paid a smaller hourly wage, so tips are a significant piece of their income.  Drivers are using their gas and putting wear/tear on their cars - so I don't mind tipping them, either.

Don't get me wrong ... I appreciate when I get home and my order is correct (Burger King actually forgot an item when we got takeout and yes - my son was pissed).  I just think that's a basic expectation that doesn't warrant any extra money.

Well, I'm not really talking Burger King here. I was referring to a family restaurant that also had take-out services.

What percentage of the real work did the take-out person I mentioned above do that a server also does? Besides drinks/refills... what else is there? Is one worth 20% and the other is 0%? Is that take-out employee a server who got pulled off the floor and now makes $7.50/hr and not $20/hr with the tips included? What's wrong with 10% when a real effort was made to put everything together?

Just now, SDS said:

Well, I'm not really talking Burger King here. I was referring to a family restaurant that also had take-out services.

What percentage of the real work did the take-out person I mentioned above do that a server also does? Besides drinks/refills... what else is there? Is one worth 20% and the other is 0%? Is that take-out employee a server who got pulled off the floor and now makes $7.50/hr and not $20/hr with the tips included? What's wrong with 10% when a real effort was made to put everything together?

Again - all valid points/questions.

Let's say you go get takeout from Applebee's.  Do you just give the tip to the cashier, not knowing if that's the person who packaged your food?  I'm asking because I'm starting to bend on this. 

I did state earlier in the thread that I put money in the tip jar where I take my recyclables.  I do that because I'm assuming they're making minimum wage and they get to split the tips.

When you give a tip to the cashier whilst picking up your takeout food, how do you know it's going to the person responsible for packing your food correctly?  Or do you view it the same as I do in my recyclables example ... that the people who need it will get it?

In some restaurants the management takes a percentage of tips. I can see restaurant wanting a small amount to process credit card, etc but I was told by employees I knew at one that management took 25% and would question employees who had lower percentage of tips whether all of the tip was there. I certainly do not intend on management getting part of tip even if the person greeting / sitting you is manager.  The restaurant had some issues with employees including workers' laywer and after the payout the employees I knew left and the restaurant changed to service charge. The restaurant include service charge on tax which I questioned and they said it is the restaurant's policy.  I paid the bill and told the manager my policy it I do not tip on taxes OR eat in restaurants which do.  I also told manager service sucks now and I used to eat regularly there 3 to 4 times a month but no longer.

36 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

In some restaurants the management takes a percentage of tips. I can see restaurant wanting a small amount to process credit card, etc but I was told by employees I knew at one that management took 25% and would question employees who had lower percentage of tips whether all of the tip was there. I certainly do not intend on management getting part of tip even if the person greeting / sitting you is manager.  The restaurant had some issues with employees including workers' laywer and after the payout the employees I knew left and the restaurant changed to service charge. The restaurant include service charge on tax which I questioned and they said it is the restaurant's policy.  I paid the bill and told the manager my policy it I do not tip on taxes OR eat in restaurants which do.  I also told manager service sucks now and I used to eat regularly there 3 to 4 times a month but no longer.

And that's the BS part of it.      The tip is for the servers and not the establishment.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.