Tipping Getting Out of Control

Mark80

I don't mind tipping $1-$2 a drink. What I don't like is when I go to a place, start a tab, have several beers, and only get charged for half of them. I mean if someone is having 3 or more drinks they are probably entitled to one on the house. But it's tough to run a business when the profits are given away in the hopes of a big tip. Which admittedly I give, often upwards of 100% when this happens, which probably makes me part of the problem.

And while we're ranting, when did "no problem" replace "you're welcome" as the proper response to a thank you? Nothing irks me more than thanking the wait staff and being told it was not a problem. I wasn't expecting it to be a problem, it's their effing job! Okay, there's probably a lot that irks me more that that, but I find it really annoying. Does anyone else?

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ll sometimes have a beverage while I wait for the food to be ready. They get a blended tip, too much for the drink, but not enough for the meal. 

Other times I’ll have just a cup of soup, plus the free chips and salsa, along with a drink. On a $7 check I’ll never tip less than $2. I’ll add another dollar or two  when they don’t charge me $2.95 for the iced tea. 

The dog groomer has a new POS terminal that makes it awkward to not tip. I want my dog well cared for, so I’m glad to tip there. They call me 10-15 minutes before she’s done so my girl doesn’t have to be crated while waiting for me to arrive. She freaks in a crate, so it’s worth an extra 15%. 

this is the only time i tip during pick up as well.  otherwise no.  their relationship is me returning to give my business.  for a typical sit down dinner, it's the standard 20%.  if we really like the waiter or is someone we always have, we'll give a couple of bucks more, but it's just nonsense now.  

when we traveled through italy, they were completely confused when we tried to give tips.  you even have to make sure you give it to the waiter directly, or people will just take it off the table.  

edit:  bar tipping is a bit different for me.  typically i give the big tip very early so they pay attention to me, then it's a couple of bucks for drinks ordered after that.

Edited by teef

46 minutes ago, Gugny said:

If I'm using my time, my car and my gas to get my food that I'm paying for with my money ... I'll be damned if I'm going to tip someone for giving me the food.

Uhmm, isn't that what you do when you eat and tip at a restaurant?

Fast food and the likes, no way do I tip.

at a restaurant? absolutely usually 10%. They putting the food together and bringing it to just like if you sitting down...maybe easier

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Uhmm, isn't that what you do when you eat and tip at a restaurant?

Fast food and the likes, no way do I tip.

at a restaurant? absolutely usually 10%. They putting the food together and bringing it to just like if you sitting down...maybe easier

I'm served at a restaurant.  Handing me a bag full of food isn't what I consider as "Service."

What's the difference between someone assembling a bunch of burgers, etc. and putting them in a bag to hand to you .... and someone putting together any other meal, then putting it in a bag to hand to you?  Why do you draw a line between "fast food" and a "restaurant?"

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm served at a restaurant.  Handing me a bag full of food isn't what I consider as "Service."

What's the difference between someone assembling a bunch of burgers, etc. and putting them in a bag to hand to you .... and someone putting together any other meal, then putting it in a bag to hand to you?  Why do you draw a line between "fast food" and a "restaurant?"

well, I think most restaurant meals I order takeout involve lots more than putting something in a bag. Pizza not included.

If I’m picking up lunch for everyone at work (not buying, just making a run & picking up), I will give a $5 tip on say a $60 total if they do a good job packaging and have a history of not shorting any of the orders. Everyone who orders kicks in on the tip.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t like doing math on a tip. I’ll round up to the nearest dollar amount to avoid the math. It’s worth a few cents to avoid math.

an easy guideline here in NYS is, you just take whatever the tax is and double it (common core maths be damned). if the service was extra good you toss in a bit extra if is was lousy you deduct a bit.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

well, I think most restaurant meals I order takeout involve lots more than putting something in a bag. Pizza not included.

But even sitting down in a fine dining establishment, you're not tipping the food preparer; you're tipping the server.

Whether there's a filet mignon dinner, or a Whopper meal, in the bag - the service is identical.  They're handing you a bag of food.

35 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

As a rule I generally tip 25% unless the service is particularly bad.

That's what I do.  10% of bill, double it and add the cents.  Off of everything, tax included. I always include tax, etc... When calculating tip.

Usually from 20-25%.

10-15% on take out

2 bucks or so on stuff under $10.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

But even sitting down in a fine dining establishment, you're not tipping the food preparer; you're tipping the server.

Whether there's a filet mignon dinner, or a Whopper meal, in the bag - the service is identical.  They're handing you a bag of food.

you either have to bend to the situation or give basically nothing every single time

i kind of admire that basically nothing every single time attitude, a lot of it comes from how they were raised, i guess...

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That's what I do.  10% of bill, double it and add the cents.  Off of everything, tax included. I always include tax, etc... When calculating tip.

Usually from 20-25%.

10-15% on take out

2 bucks or so on stuff under $10.

Don's apparently paying you too much

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Thrifty

Why I am going to the poor house.  I feel sorry for service workers.  Even if they give sucky service.  It's the bougie bastards (myself??) that should be grateful for anything they get:

"...Tra la la la la bombardier, this is the pilot speaking
I've got some news for you
It seems my ship still stands no matter what you drop
And there ain't a whole lot that you can do
Oh sure the banner may be torn and the wind's gotten colder
Perhaps I've grown a little cynical
But I know no matter what the waitress brings
I shall drink it and always be full, yeah I will drink it and always be full..."
4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

they probably spit in your food so why tip them??    F them. 

That's for you too Mr.Cynical. ^^^^ The lyrics.

• Haha (+1) 1

I tip everywhere that has a way to receive it.  If there's a tip jar or one of those POS systems with the flip around iPad something gets added on top.  Ice cream shop, maybe $1 unless I get a cappuccino there too, then $2.  Italian deli where the pretty girl makes my sandwich and cashes me out with her college fund tip jar sitting there, $2 plus whatever coins were in my change.  If I get water or club soda at the bar, $1 for the bartender per drink even though it's free.  Picking up a pizza at my favorite joint and the folks are polite as always, they get a dollar.  A few singles left on the golf cart for the guy hosing it down after a round.  Tip the hotel concierge or front desk attendant for a dinner reservation/recommendation.  If their driving wasn't ridiculous, Uber/Lyft drivers get a minimum $3 tip.  20% BARE MINIMUM if I sit down to eat and be served somewhere unless the service (and really, the service, not the kitchen) really sucks.  $5 to the girl who cuts my hair to make it an even 20.  A fiver to the delivery guy.  All get increased if it's the holidays.

Tipping well is a mark of good character and good social graces.  People who suck at tipping suck at life.  End of story. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

I never tip for take-out, why would I? You handed me my food, thanks. I actually far and away prefer the German way of tipping... you don’t. The price is the price. The only tip you are ever leaving in Germany is rounding up. If your bill is 19.45 you can leave a 20 and tell them to keep the change, but it is never expected. 

23 minutes ago, Gugny said:

that's where I disagree, and maybe someone who has waited for a living can help. Food gets prepared and packaged generally by a server, not a line cook..so in actuality I think they are doing more work than when they bring you food in the dining room.

So tip them ya cheap bastage!!!! I am usually 10% BTW at a nice place.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.