Bills face harsh realities of balancing offseason workload with health risks

HOUSE

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The number of injuries at the beginning of OTAs to training camp is disproportionate to the season.  I'm not saying they are overweight and soft.  But it's cleat that many aren't ready physically for OTAs.  How many noncontact, season ending injuries happen during the season?

A lot of non-contact injuries happen during the season, a lot of torn ACL’s happen non-contact. I think that the issue with these non-contact injuries isn’t an issue of conditioning. Most players as I said are in good shape all year round. Yes there are some lazy NFL players like Dareus who once they get the big bonus they phone it in (although Dareus was talented enough to be a pretty decent NFL player even when he phoned it in.) But I think 90% of NFL players are conditioning most of the year. 

Also adding in more OTA’s and mini-camps won’t make lazy players less lazy. To state it again that I do agree with you there should be more OTA’s and mini-camps along with longer training camps. 10-15 years ago there existed too many OTA’s where teams were meeting up twice a month for weight training, conditioning, mini-camps, light practices, in addition to longer training camps. It was too much for teams to have weight training in the end of February and the middle of March, have conditioning workouts in the beginning of April, have rookie mini-camps in late April, then weight training in the beginning of May, Mini Camps in mid May and early June, strength training in early July then training camp in July. 

But now the players have rolled back OTA’s and training camp (I think the camp roll back is worse) way too much. Teams meet two times for OTA’s and Mini Camp and that’s about it (rookies have their own separate camp) there should be at least be some more OTA type activity and the training camps should be a few days longer. There is a balance and it is way off.  

On 5/28/2019 at 11:09 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Every year, same thing.  Not in proper shape.

These guys need year round mandatory workouts.  Go to work every day.

That is absurd.

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The number of injuries at the beginning of OTAs to training camp is disproportionate to the season.  I'm not saying they are overweight and soft.  But it's cleat that many aren't ready physically for OTAs.  How many noncontact, season ending injuries happen during the season?

A lot.

21 hours ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

Man I'm not as old as some of the folk round these parts but I'm old enough (born 1978) to know that players back in the day used to play through so much pain... This new breed of athletes is soft...

Just yesterday i was recommended the AFC divisional playoff game by YouTube. Marino vs. Kelly in buffalo... Man. I can't begin to tell you how many late hits and helmet to helmet contact I seen in just 13 minutes of highlights. Sheesh... I get it... we dont want people getting hurt or even worse, suffering long term health issues but it's becoming a bit ridiculous with all the new rules...

I'm of the group who thinks NFL players should get paid much more than they do currently since their careers are MUCH shorter than any of the other major American sports... Boxing is the only other sport besides NFL where your career can be over in a short time... Baseball players are allowed to be fat as long as they can hit a ball... Basketball players usually have longer careers also... Even if they have a short career, the money they make per year compared to an NFL player is no comparison... 

I'm not an exact crunch the numbers kind of guy but I'm pretty sure that the worst NBA player's contract compared to the worst NFL player's contract has to be a big difference.

You're right. These guys being held out by doctors for concussions are soft.

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why is it absurd?

Because an athlete can't do that everyday. The Body needs to recuperate. I understand working out different muscles on a schedule, but still even then, days off are needed. 

That's why hockey, basketball, baseball, and soccer have days off or sit players out. Even football has scheduled days off for players. I work 6 days a week at not a very physically demanding job, but we're trying to find ways to get me more time off.

Saying something like go to work everyday is absurd. Especially in my opinion when it comes to ligament injuries. Those are either flukes, too much explosiveness around them from muscles or over usage.

Working out everyday won't reduce them.