Bills face harsh realities of balancing offseason workload with health risks

HOUSE

"Bills face harsh realities of balancing off-season workload with health risks" - uh... is this not true for all sports teams in like, any league anywhere? Or is this special to the Bills? "If youse guys do workouts in da off-season, youse might get hurt! More at 11!"

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Every year, same thing.  Not in proper shape.

These guys need year round mandatory workouts.  Go to work every day.

...LOL....how did the 'ol stalwarts like Billy Shaw take time off from mixin' cement to come and play for 18 grand a year back in the 60's and then had a post game smoke and beer at his locker?...kept mixin' cement until 66 so he could get full Social Security despite his bountiful (COUGH) NFL pension.....bet he thought OTA's were some new alphabet soup or General Mills cereal.......ain't no divas in THAT era.......

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

actually i thought the amount of injuries is making it harder for the new Guys to get reps.
Morse and Spain in particular. Beasley  ? These guys were likely to be starting. Spain is out who knows how long.
McBeanes was wise to overstock the O line Pantry : ) and the WR cabinets lol

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

actually i thought the amount of injuries is making it harder for the new Guys to get reps.
Morse and Spain in particular. Beasley  ? These guys were likely to be starting. Spain is out who knows how long.
McBeanes was wise to overstock the O line Pantry : ) and the WR cabinets lol

PS Croom and Kroft as well.

goodness gracious  !

Its a long time till training camp, I am not sure why some of these minor injuries are listed.

I am not losing any sleep over this. If it was September I MIGHT worry.

The only real concern is Tyler Kroft  but there's still time..

Edited by HOUSE

10 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Its a long time till training camp, I am not sure why some of these minor injuries are listed.

I am not losing any sleep over this. If it was September I MIGHT worry.

The only real concern is Tyler Kroft  but there's still time..

you are clearly not concerned enough !

This is happeneing for several reasons:

1) Kids are playing the same sport all year round at early ages which causes more wear and tear on specific muscles/tendons/joints while not allowing strengthening of others from playing sports that require different muscle groups

2) Non stop all year training that puts unnatural strains on the body. The body is no different than your car tires. The more miles you put on it, the more wear and tear there will be. You can put 70K miles on it in 5 years or 15 years, but eventually the tires will need to be changed. Same thing with the ligaments and tendons...all those sharp cuts and change of directions put stress on them...you only have so many times you can make the same cut before it gives out.

Man I'm not as old as some of the folk round these parts but I'm old enough (born 1978) to know that players back in the day used to play through so much pain... This new breed of athletes is soft...

Just yesterday i was recommended the AFC divisional playoff game by YouTube. Marino vs. Kelly in buffalo... Man. I can't begin to tell you how many late hits and helmet to helmet contact I seen in just 13 minutes of highlights. Sheesh... I get it... we dont want people getting hurt or even worse, suffering long term health issues but it's becoming a bit ridiculous with all the new rules...

I'm of the group who thinks NFL players should get paid much more than they do currently since their careers are MUCH shorter than any of the other major American sports... Boxing is the only other sport besides NFL where your career can be over in a short time... Baseball players are allowed to be fat as long as they can hit a ball... Basketball players usually have longer careers also... Even if they have a short career, the money they make per year compared to an NFL player is no comparison... 

I'm not an exact crunch the numbers kind of guy but I'm pretty sure that the worst NBA player's contract compared to the worst NFL player's contract has to be a big difference.

2 minutes ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

Man I'm not as old as some of the folk round these parts but I'm old enough (born 1978) to know that players back in the day used to play through so much pain... This new breed of athletes is soft...

Just yesterday i was recommended the AFC divisional playoff game by YouTube. Marino vs. Kelly in buffalo... Man. I can't begin to tell you how many late hits and helmet to helmet contact I seen in just 13 minutes of highlights. Sheesh... I get it... we dont want people getting hurt or even worse, suffering long term health issues but it's becoming a bit ridiculous with all the new rules...

I'm of the group who thinks NFL players should get paid much more than they do currently since their careers are MUCH shorter than any of the other major American sports... Boxing is the only other sport besides NFL where your career can be over in a short time... Baseball players are allowed to be fat as long as they can hit a ball... Basketball players usually have longer careers also... Even if they have a short career, the money they make per year compared to an NFL player is no comparison... 

I'm not an exact crunch the numbers kind of guy but I'm pretty sure that the worst NBA player's contract compared to the worst NFL player's contract has to be a big difference.

NFL minimum is roughly half compared to the NBA, but there's 4 times as many guys to pay on an NFL roster. Then there's the cold hard fact that a football player is much more likely to have their career destroyed in a split second. The NBA also has a much better union. I tend to agree that NFL players are underpaid relative to their peers, but it's the nature of the beast.

As far as NFLPA is concerned their should be no OTA or preseason games and their rules on practices, etc. lead to more injuries.  Teams have less and less time to train so they try to do as much as they can in little time they are given.  Players get injured training on their own and you do not see writers pumping out articles trying to prevent those.

19 hours ago, blacklabel said:

"Bills face harsh realities of balancing off-season workload with health risks" - uh... is this not true for all sports teams in like, any league anywhere? Or is this special to the Bills? "If youse guys do workouts in da off-season, youse might get hurt! More at 11!"

every freaking minute under contract is a harsh reality in this game

Just now, Limeaid said:

As far as NFLPA is concerned their should be no OTA or preseason games and their rules on practices, etc. lead to more injuries.  Teams have less and less time to train so they try to do as much as they can in little time they are given.  Players get injured training on their own and you do not see writers pumping out articles trying to prevent those.

and w/o team activities and practice teams will suck throughout September and people will tune out.

people tune out - less money for the league 

less money for the league  -  less money for the players

Being in OTAs also gives them injury (salary) benefits sitting at home doesn't 

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

and w/o team activities and practice teams will suck throughout September and people will tune out.

people tune out - less money for the league 

less money for the league  -  less money for the players

Being in OTAs also gives them injury (salary) benefits sitting at home doesn't 

I agree completely and while I know some coaches abuse rules (i.e. Ravens) players were in better shape at start of season before rules changed at last contract.  Maybe the rules will go back to previous ones at next contract if the NFL gives up ability to penalize the dopes for smoking dope.

18 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I agree completely and while I know some coaches abuse rules (i.e. Ravens) players were in better shape at start of season before rules changed at last contract.  Maybe the rules will go back to previous ones at next contract if the NFL gives up ability to penalize the dopes for smoking dope.

there are plenty of dopes smoking dope (last estimate 50% of the league) 

its the dopes that can't put the joint down for 2 weeks prior to known drug tests that get in trouble.  and that % is very low.  single digits would be my guess.  

1 year ago 

Via USA Today “Martellus Bennett: ‘About 89%’ of NFL players use marijuana”:

Estimates on the percentage of NFL players who use marijuana have been made, but recently retired tight end Martellus Bennett pinned the number pretty high.

“I want to say about 89%,” Bennett said on a Bleacher Report podcast hosted by Chris Simms and Adam Lefkoe.

May 28, 2019

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/5/28/18639350/does-the-nfl-really-care-about-players-smoking-pot

How to get around it?

So, taking this into consideration, all a player like Chris Long would have to do to avoid getting caught is:

1. Stop smoking around the end of February/start of March
  2. Stay clean until your test
  3. Once you are tested, you can smoke all you want until you have to start the process all over again

Seems simple enough.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

21 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

More likely Martellus Bennett was high when he gave that number.  He is like some who cheat on taxes and justify it by "everyone does it".

I agree 89% is very high

but 50% has been the number discussed for at least 5 years now

how long ago was Dareus busted?  

(the first time)

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

On 5/28/2019 at 8:09 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Every year, same thing.  Not in proper shape.

These guys need year round mandatory workouts.  Go to work every day.

These guys workout 11 out of 12 months of the year at worst. So I think that the idea that these athletes are out of shape is laughable. This isn’t the 1960’s where training camp was literally to get guys in shape after spending the off-season working jobs. 

That’s not to say that I think that they have pulled back a bit too much on off-season mini-camps and workouts but the issues the shortened training camps and OTA’s cause is more so an issue with chemistry and integrating new players and draftees to the team than injuries or players being out of shape. 

18 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

These guys workout 11 out of 12 months of the year at worst. So I think that the idea that these athletes are out of shape is laughable. This isn’t the 1960’s where training camp was literally to get guys in shape after spending the off-season working jobs. 

That’s not to say that I think that they have pulled back a bit too much on off-season mini-camps and workouts but the issues the shortened training camps and OTA’s cause is more so an issue with chemistry and integrating new players and draftees to the team than injuries or players being out of shape. 

The number of injuries at the beginning of OTAs to training camp is disproportionate to the season.  I'm not saying they are overweight and soft.  But it's cleat that many aren't ready physically for OTAs.  How many noncontact, season ending injuries happen during the season?

Lots of players go into camp out of shape especially if they have guaranteed contracts. We had a tub of lard who signed a contract and then would not go to OTAs and showed up in  training camp out of shape and could not pass fitness test.  Eventually he was cut not making 51 man roster and picked up in October by the evil empire.