Buffalo Bills: A potential breakout rookie in 2019

On 5/28/2019 at 3:22 PM, TigerJ said:

Milano is close to the perfect weak side linebacker for the McDermott defense.  He has the requisite high football IQ and is very instinctive.  He's not an elite athlete, but he's not bad athletically either.  His main drawback is that he's undersized, being in the low 220s.  Vosean is a little bigger and is more athletic, but the knock on him in college was that his instincts weren't great.  He was over aggressive at times and tended to bite on fakes.  Before he becomes a threat to get a significant number of plays, he needs to prove that he can develop his football IQ and instinctiveness.  As I understand it, there is not that much difference between the roles and physical requirements of strong side and weak side linebacker in the McDermott scheme.  That makes me wonder if Vosean might be groomed to become Lorenzo Alexander's successor.  Whether or not that works will depend on how well Vosean grows mentally into the pro game.

That's just it. Will Joseph respond well to coaching and will he "get it" and develop mentally. If he does, he could be a formidable player.

On 5/28/2019 at 9:24 AM, SoTier said:

I didn't realize 13 games, 3 starts, and 27 receptions for 541 yards (Foster) or 7 games and starts and 3 pass defenses (Wallace) constituted successful NFL careers.   Millano at least played in 29 games over 2 seasons, starting 18, but again, that's hardly a "successful career" at this point.  The author of this article is really scraping the bottom of the barrel to come up with examples of UDFAs and day three draft picks who've done well for the Bills. 

Wait, what?

Are you saying that last year Robert Foster and Levi Wallace were NOT examples of significant UDFA success?!

And that Matt Milano, in his two years on the field, given his 5th round selection, has also not been an unanticipated success?!

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Using the word "career" is a bit silly, sure. But the three players mentioned in your post have been wildly successful in relation to draft position, and frankly just in general. So their "careers" thus far have been successful by multiple measures:

Analytics favor Wallace's coverage snaps last season. Gross statistical productivity shows Foster as a beast in the second half of the season. If you watch Bills football, then you've seen Milano flash often over the past two years (and you also watched the D lag a little after his injury). 

Going with Singletary.

On 5/28/2019 at 8:23 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

I'm going to play Devil's advocate here and agree that Joseph could push Milano for snaps. I still don't believe that this regime absolutely loves Milano. He was still losing snaps to Ramon Humber last year, when he was clearly the better player, which is just totally ludicrous. That tells me that he was likely making mistakes in games that were forcing coaches to make that substitution. These are the types of mistakes that we as fans probably can't really see. Don't get me wrong, I love Milano, but he played really terrible in a few games last year. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that Joseph could push Milano a bit. 

Again, I love Milano. I think he's a prototype Will for today's game, but he's going to be overmatched in power run schemes when teams use tight ends and full backs and run right at him, which is what happened against Indy and New England last year. I think we as fans like him a lot more than the powers that be do (This is just my speculation). If Joseph proves to be just as good in coverage and better in the run game, it isn't totally crazy that he could push Milano for snaps. I do think it's more likely that we see Joseph at some Sam a bit in base 4-3 plays, which would take some linebacker snaps from Lorax which is probably a good thing. I think he could be our poor man's Shaq Thompson.  

Shaq Thompson is pretty poor.

4 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Wait, what?

Are you saying that last year Robert Foster and Levi Wallace were NOT examples of significant UDFA success?!

And that Matt Milano, in his two years on the field, given his 5th round selection, has also not been an unanticipated success?!

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Using the word "career" is a bit silly, sure. But the three players mentioned in your post have been wildly successful in relation to draft position, and frankly just in general. So their "careers" thus far have been successful by multiple measures:

Analytics favor Wallace's coverage snaps last season. Gross statistical productivity shows Foster as a beast in the second half of the season. If you watch Bills football, then you've seen Milano flash often over the past two years (and you also watched the D lag a little after his injury). 

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.   UDFA rookie Phillip Lindsay of the Broncos rushed for nearly 1100 yards in 15 games and 9 TDs.  That's "significant UDFA success".   It still doesn't constitution a "successful career" for him, which implies that the player makes team rosters for several NFL seasons.