Buffalo Bills: A potential breakout rookie in 2019

HOUSE

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Unless Milano doesnt fully recover he will firmly be entrenched as a 3 down defender.

With that said, I am pumped of the possibilities of Joseph, he is extremely athletic, super aggressive and loves to hit.  I think he will thrive in this system and since defenses play less than 50% of their snaps outside of their "base" defense, if he performs well they will find a way to get him some snaps in particular formations.  Good defensive players tend to find a way on the field.

Milano's coverage skills are unlikely to be matched.  Milano is a converted safety, and knows how to cover.  I look for him to get a few more picks next year, as he was on that track last year before the injury.  He is not the superstud that his running mate is(Edmunds)......but, he will do adequately on the physical tools side.

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

The national media at large doesn’t realize how well Milano was playing last year. Unless he takes a huge step back, Joseph isn’t taking any of his snaps.

This.

In season one, he was still working his way into the starting lineup. In season two, he was making as many plays as any linebacker in the league, but JUST when he was starting to get name recognition, he got hurt.

I look forward to Milano claiming his rightful spot as one of the five or ten best weakside linebackers in the game this season. The Edmunds/Milano duo (can Joseph step up and make it a trio?) will be terrorizing the opposition for the next decade in western New York.

not only do i think our last 3 picks make the team, but i think we may have struck gold.  i heard ed reed gush over joquan johnson (sp?) saying he's gonna be a star.

i also believe joseph will be the head hunter we need and will get some snaps from lorax now and then.

lastly, i heard daryl johnson talk in an interview on obl and he's putting on the muscle to get to 260+. he may very well be shaq's replacement next year.

overall this will be looked at as a terrific draft.

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They lost me at “could push Milano.” Milano was having a Pro Bowl year in year 2. I like Joseph and think that he could find snaps but it’s not at the expense of Milano assuming he’s healthy.

Same here.   It would be very, very unlikely that Joseph could beat Milano's smarts and instincts right out of the box.    And, given this coaching staff, unlikely that they'd favor a raw rookie over a young, productive vet... 

5 hours ago, whatdrought said:

The national media at large doesn’t realize how well Milano was playing last year. Unless he takes a huge step back, Joseph isn’t taking any of his snaps.

If anything he may take some of edmunds snaps in sub packages, and hopefully can be a solid teams contributor.

Just now, dneveu said:

If anything he may take some of edmunds snaps in sub packages, and hopefully can be a solid teams contributor.

Doubt it... Unless Edmunds struggles he'll be on the field for every defensive snap. He's meant to be the core of the D. 

26 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Doubt it... Unless Edmunds struggles he'll be on the field for every defensive snap. He's meant to be the core of the D. 

yeah - just a thought for how he could see the field on defense.  Coverage situations etc.  I suppose he could also push for playing time in a big nickel with bush.  

5 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Or if Milano bulks up a bit, and switches to SAM, Joseph could pick up at WILL. I feel like that's Joseph's more natural position, and all Milano lacks, in terms of being a SAM is a little beef. Joseph trains behind Milano this year, and Milano gives Lorax a breather here and there. Next year, Joseph is ready to man the WILL. Just an idea. 

I think Joseph has longer features and room to add weight and would make a better SAM than Milano.  My thought is why move Miano as he is doing very well at Will.  Mo Alexander will likely be his backup this year as we signed him with plan to convert to LB - he has played as a large S to date.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Wonder if Joseph will be trained at SAM too.  When Zo retires would be nice to plug Joseph in that spot.  

This was my thought as well. Seems to make more sense to let Zo take him under his wing for this season and hope that Joseph can take over next year when Zo retires. Really can't see him pushing Milano for snaps as that kid is somehow always around the ball.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, whatdrought said:

EXACTLY.  I had already read this prior to it being posted on this board, and that was my first thought too.  This guy clearly didn't realize how good Milano was playing last year before the injury.  

That being said, Milano still only has a partial season under his belt at that level and needs to show he can get back to that level of play before the injury and also keep growing overall.  But all reports from OTA's so far sound like Milano is out there tearing it up already and flying around the ball.  So sounds like Milano isn't showing any drop off or ill affects from the injury and should be a key piece of our defense again this year.  

Now this kid still has a lot of potential and could be someone who emerges as a valuable part of the rotation and a guy to groom into a starter some day down the road.  

Milano is close to the perfect weak side linebacker for the McDermott defense.  He has the requisite high football IQ and is very instinctive.  He's not an elite athlete, but he's not bad athletically either.  His main drawback is that he's undersized, being in the low 220s.  Vosean is a little bigger and is more athletic, but the knock on him in college was that his instincts weren't great.  He was over aggressive at times and tended to bite on fakes.  Before he becomes a threat to get a significant number of plays, he needs to prove that he can develop his football IQ and instinctiveness.  As I understand it, there is not that much difference between the roles and physical requirements of strong side and weak side linebacker in the McDermott scheme.  That makes me wonder if Vosean might be groomed to become Lorenzo Alexander's successor.  Whether or not that works will depend on how well Vosean grows mentally into the pro game.

• Like (+1) 2

If Joseph achieves his potential i could easily see him as the WILL in 2020 with Milano as the SAM. 

Joseph is pretty small to be a SAM so i dont think he will ever have that job

1 hour ago, DJB said:

If Joseph achieves his potential i could easily see him as the WILL in 2020 with Milano as the SAM. 

Joseph is pretty small to be a SAM so i dont think he will ever have that job

FYI Joseph is 6'1" and over 230 lbs.  That is bigger than Milano.  

Milano doesn't get "Winded"

Can never have enough good backups though. Hope he is as good as this guy thinks, McDermott will find a way for him to get on the field if he is good enough.

Edited by Boca BIlls