Buffalo Bills: A potential breakout rookie in 2019

HOUSE

Image result for Vosean Joseph

The Buffalo Bills made it a point to build through the NFL Draft. One late-round pick could do big things during the 2019 season.

It is easy for Buffalo Bills fans to only look at the top of a draft class to determine the success or failure of a group for any given year.

Yet players like Robert Foster, Levi Wallace and Matt Milano show that being taken late or not at all doesn’t prevent a successful NFL career from taking place.

Gary Davenport of Bleacher Report recently posted an article looking at a potential rookie gem on every NFL team. This includes players who weren’t taken at the top of the draft, yet who could still end up doing great things.

His choice for the Bills is fifth-round pick Vosean Joseph. From the article:

However, Buffalo may be a best-case landing spot for the former Florida standout. With young stud Tremaine Edmunds in the middle, the weak-side linebacker in Buffalo is free to roam and attack the ball. And while Matt Milano is a capable veteran linebacker, he doesn’t have Joseph’s wheels. If Joseph is a quick study in his new home, he could push Milano for snaps. And if the 6’1″, 230-pounder can come close to realizing his potential, he’ll be one of Day 3’s biggest steals.

The key part of that excerpt is the part about Joseph “realizing his potential.” Most draft selections are a crapshoot in that a player can look great in college, only to struggle in the pros. That is true of the first pick all the way down to Mr. Irrelevant at the end of the draft.

Joseph should have a small advantage in that he is a Brandon Beane draft pick, but his draft slot means he could be cut without anyone batting an eye. So it will simply come down to how good he looks in training camp and the preseason.

In terms of undrafted free agents, Buffalo’s own Tyree Jackson stands out as an intriguing player. With Derek Anderson gone the undrafted quarterback could end up making the roster and sticking around for quite some time.

Elsewhere on the offense, wide receiver David Sills V stands out as a player who could make the team at a position in need of playmakers. The former quarterback stands 6-foot-3 and ran a 4.57 40-yard dash at the combine.

Basically any late-round pick and undrafted player could be a potential gem. That is the beauty of watching things progress throughout the summer to the fall.

https://buffalowdown.com/2019/05/27/buffalo-bills-potential-breakout-rookie-2019/

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They lost me at “could push Milano.” Milano was having a Pro Bowl year in year 2. I like Joseph and think that he could find snaps but it’s not at the expense of Milano assuming he’s healthy.

Mat Milano lives in a cave with no running water....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm going to play Devil's advocate here and agree that Joseph could push Milano for snaps. I still don't believe that this regime absolutely loves Milano. He was still losing snaps to Ramon Humber last year, when he was clearly the better player, which is just totally ludicrous. That tells me that he was likely making mistakes in games that were forcing coaches to make that substitution. These are the types of mistakes that we as fans probably can't really see. Don't get me wrong, I love Milano, but he played really terrible in a few games last year. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that Joseph could push Milano a bit. 

Again, I love Milano. I think he's a prototype Will for today's game, but he's going to be overmatched in power run schemes when teams use tight ends and full backs and run right at him, which is what happened against Indy and New England last year. I think we as fans like him a lot more than the powers that be do (This is just my speculation). If Joseph proves to be just as good in coverage and better in the run game, it isn't totally crazy that he could push Milano for snaps. I do think it's more likely that we see Joseph at some Sam a bit in base 4-3 plays, which would take some linebacker snaps from Lorax which is probably a good thing. I think he could be our poor man's Shaq Thompson.  

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

The national media at large doesn’t realize how well Milano was playing last year. Unless he takes a huge step back, Joseph isn’t taking any of his snaps.

No kidding. It’s good to hear that Milano is supposed to be healthy.  If this is and remains true he is not likely to be unseated.  

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I'm going to play Devil's advocate here and agree that Joseph could push Milano for snaps. I still don't believe that this regime absolutely loves Milano. He was still losing snaps to Ramon Humber last year, when he was clearly the better player, which is just totally ludicrous. That tells me that he was likely making mistakes in games that were forcing coaches to make that substitution. These are the types of mistakes that we as fans probably can't really see. Don't get me wrong, I love Milano, but he played really terrible in a few games last year. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that Joseph could push Milano a bit. 

Again, I love Milano. I think he's a prototype Will for today's game, but he's going to be overmatched in power run schemes when teams use tight ends and full backs and run right at him, which is what happened against Indy and New England last year. I think we as fans like him a lot more than the powers that be do (This is just my speculation). If Joseph proves to be just as good in coverage and better in the run game, it isn't totally crazy that he could push Milano for snaps. I do think it's more likely that we see Joseph at some Sam a bit in base 4-3 plays, which would take some linebacker snaps from Lorax which is probably a good thing. I think he could be our poor man's Shaq Thompson.  

Matt Milano needs a better house. Maybe a dog or something.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Unless Milano doesnt fully recover he will firmly be entrenched as a 3 down defender.

With that said, I am pumped of the possibilities of Joseph, he is extremely athletic, super aggressive and loves to hit.  I think he will thrive in this system and since defenses play less than 50% of their snaps outside of their "base" defense, if he performs well they will find a way to get him some snaps in particular formations.  Good defensive players tend to find a way on the field.

I didn't realize 13 games, 3 starts, and 27 receptions for 541 yards (Foster) or 7 games and starts and 3 pass defenses (Wallace) constituted successful NFL careers.   Millano at least played in 29 games over 2 seasons, starting 18, but again, that's hardly a "successful career" at this point.  The author of this article is really scraping the bottom of the barrel to come up with examples of UDFAs and day three draft picks who've done well for the Bills. 

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

Wonder if Joseph will be trained at SAM too.  When Zo retires would be nice to plug Joseph in that spot.  

Or if Milano bulks up a bit, and switches to SAM, Joseph could pick up at WILL. I feel like that's Joseph's more natural position, and all Milano lacks, in terms of being a SAM is a little beef. Joseph trains behind Milano this year, and Milano gives Lorax a breather here and there. Next year, Joseph is ready to man the WILL. Just an idea. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I didn't realize 13 games, 3 starts, and 27 receptions for 541 yards (Foster) or 7 games and starts and 3 pass defenses (Wallace) constituted successful NFL careers.   Millano at least played in 29 games over 2 seasons, starting 18, but again, that's hardly a "successful career" at this point.  The author of this article is really scraping the bottom of the barrel to come up with examples of UDFAs and day three draft picks who've done well for the Bills. 

Kyle Williams, Karlos Williams, Jonathan Williams. Starting to notice a pattern. Shame the later two threw it all away.