OTA Phase 3 updates 5/28 - media will be present

10 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Are you calling it now? ?

No, I stand by my criticism back on Feburary 27th, it was earned by him on the field.  I never wanted to root against him, I was just skeptical he could hold off stiffer competition from being very underwhelmed and disappointed in his first 2 years.  That being said, I will keep rooting for him to succeed.  I could absolutely care less if a feeling I had in beginning of the offseason is proven right or wrong.  I would much rather see Zay go out and be a big part of this team.

That being said, while I like some of the things that we have seen from Zay so far in the OTA's and his communication with Josh...lets not get ahead of ourselves here and just remove all the things he still needs to work on because of a few positive signs in shorts.

1. I mean in this very video, he wasn't running good routes and Allen had to pull him aside.  
  2. There is still no contact and just playing in shorts
  3. His main competition for reps are still learning the playbook and some aren't even competing yet.

So...I have said all along, I want to see it on the field when it matters and also see what guys like Cole, Brown, and Duke do out there too.  Thats when I will start building my confidence back up in him.  But, I am a Bills fan, not a "I need to be right about every thought on some stupid message board" fan.  I would love to see Zay become a big weapon for the offense.  So I will be cheering for his success, I have nothing personal against him.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Now THIS is the kind of good stuff from Zay, and especially Josh, that both gets me excited and encouraged!

Its no secret, one of the biggest criticisms I had (and so did many others) of Zay last year was the inconsistent route running and not giving Josh good targets early in the route.  Too much of Zay's production, and even our whole offenses production, came from when Josh had to extend plays on the run because there were not good targets early in their routes.  He also had a lot of statistical production when the game was late and out of reach and defenses started playing softer for clock control giving him easier route opportunities.

On one hand, its good that our offense can still make plays when our QB extends them, but to move the chains consistently and to keep Josh from always running for his life, our guys need to get open consistently early in their routes and give Josh good targets where they are supposed to be.  Of course, Josh also needs to be able to read the D correctly and know where to go with the ball, and I love that he knows exactly what he wants already from his receivers.  Thats a great sign in his ability to read and react to what the D is giving him.  

So this right here is both exciting and encouraging to see for both Zay and Josh.  Its awesome that Josh is at a place where he sees this and knows what he wants from his guys and communicate it.  And its great to see Zay understand it and go right out and execute that just how Josh wanted it.  Of course, its just OTA's and there is no real big pass rush coming now and our receivers aren't really having their routes challenged, but its still great to see this kind of communication and progress.  

This is the 2nd interview in a row where Zay has been saying some really good stuff that is both positive and encouraging.  The WR battle is going to be a real fun ride to watch and I do sincerely want to see Zay take a big step forward.  

100%

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

But were any wearing helmets like this?

Kelso.jpg

Ahh Kelso - one of the last 2 stripers. They actually had to recycle that jersey from 1987 (this pic is 1991 bc of the NFL shield on the neck)  to accomodate his love of the 2 stripe sleeve. There was something unique abt his helmet as well... i think.....??

• Haha (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Frazier is so easy to root for. I know he had a rough couple weeks when McD took over the play calling but I get the feeling that he is a major asset to the D and to the team in general. I'm glad we've got him, he is always a pleasure to listen to.

17 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Defender or not  

Practice or not  

to bend over backwards and catch the ball on the run was cool imo. 

Sure...he still misplayed the ball.  Its one thing to look cool in shorts, its another to do this in a live game and make the catch difficult or even a risk for a turnover.   In a live game you have DB's and Safeties factoring in, and misplaying the ball can make that catch a drop or worse...a bobble/tip allowing the defender to pick it off or even just giving the defender the angle they need to directly intercept.  

So that one play didn't impress me...but what he talked about in his interview is the stuff I get excited about and loved hearing that from Zay.  That is what I want to hear and see more of from him, and its the 2nd interview in a row from OTAs by Zay that I thought was great.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

27 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If Zay has a lights out year....you have to get this tattoo on you right quad.

Image result for zay jones

Hahaha no way.  

I will commit to buying a Zay Jones jersey after the season if he has a big year though.  I would LOVE that as it means we got ourselves a good WR and also 11 is my lucky and favorite number (one of the reasons I liked Zay so much going into his rookie year haha).  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Hahaha no way.  

I will commit to buying a Zay Jones jersey after the season if he has a big year though.  I would LOVE that as it means we got ourselves a good WR and also 11 is my lucky and favorite number (one of the reasons I liked Zay so much going into his rookie year haha).  

11 has been anything but for the bills of late. 

Mostly fragility....

glasscoe Parrish

Marquise Glasswin

Rob Glassy Johnson

Then there’s TJ Graham,  Norwide and Drew ‘statue’ Bledsoe

?

hoping Zay comes around 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

watch Zay bend over backwards to catch the ball 25 seconds in 

it's too bad though. as i learned here, he's isn't going to make the roster.

• Haha (+1) 1

This roster is just filled with players that I like a whole lot and am really rooting for to succeed. Guys who make it EASY to root for them.

I mean, think about it: Tre'Davious White is one of the more likable football players I've ever seen. Upbeat, positive, does everything the right way, funny, has fun out on the field, lifts his teammates' spirits, is a great ambassador for Buffalo, etc. And you can go down the line and see guys like that. How do you not root for Levi Wallace? Talk about a self-made man! Taron Johnson? The dog in that dude! Poyer and Hyde are both smart, versatile, productive players in their prime. Edmunds and Milano are athletic freaks (and Joseph, too, for that matter). Ed Oliver and Harrison Philips are about as likable and promising a duo as you could ask for at DT. 

Same on offense. Mitch Morse, Dion Dawkins, Wyatt Teller, Cody Ford. Robert Foster beating the odds. Singletary getting to learn from McCoy and Gore. Allen, perhaps the easiest to root for QB you could ever imagine, with his toughness and scrappiness and fighting spirit.

This team is young, talented, hungry, and has extremely high potential. They're also all hard working, engaging, likable guys, for the most part. And how often do you see a head coach build a culture that includes the concept of "Loving each other" and "becoming a family"? That type of closeness is really going to pay off when the going gets tough. It's a really easy team to root for. It's a really exciting time to be a Bills fan.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What a wuss, biking in Miami where it's flat. Try biking where there's hills. :w00t:

I'm amazed that a guy that big can even ride a bike - I feel like my Fairdale commuter would just crush under his weight! ?

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah couldn't agree more.  This Zay interview was the most exciting thing I have seen all OTA so far.  For Allen to be at this point is huge and its also great to see Zay absorb it and go out and execute it better.  

Not necessarily better, to Allen’s liking.