Sign in to follow this  
T&C

Stanley Cup Finals: Bruins Vs Blues

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Oh, BTW, finishing 2nd in voting for the lady bang means nothing in regards to his performance on the ice. That is awarded to the guy who takes the least penalties (“most gentlemanly conduct”). 

Lady Byng Memorial Trophy:   "player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability".[1]

Means nothing, since none of these guys were any good...

2000–01 Joe Sakic Colorado Avalanche C 1 82 30 0.37
2001–02 Ron Francis Carolina Hurricanes C 3 80 18 0.23
2002–03 Alexander Mogilny Toronto Maple Leafs RW 1 73 12 0.16
2003–04 Brad Richards Tampa Bay Lightning C 1 82 12 0.15
2004–05 Not awarded due to the lockout.
2005–06 Pavel Datsyuk Detroit Red Wings C 1 75 22 0.29
2006–07 Pavel Datsyuk Detroit Red Wings C 2 79 20 0.25
2007–08 Pavel Datsyuk Detroit Red Wings C 3 82 20 0.24
2008–09 Pavel Datsyuk Detroit Red Wings C 4 81 22 0.27
2009–10 Martin St. Louis Tampa Bay Lightning RW 1 82 12 0.15
2010–11 Martin St. Louis Tampa Bay Lightning RW 2 82 12 0.15
2011–12 Brian Campbell Florida Panthers D 1 82 6 0.07
2012–13 Martin St. Louis Tampa Bay Lightning RW 3 48 14 0.29
2013–14 Ryan O'Reilly Colorado Avalanche C 1 80 2 0.03
2014–15 Jiri Hudler Calgary Flames RW 1 78 14 0.18
2015–16 Anze Kopitar Los Angeles Kings C 1 81 16 0.20
2016–17 Johnny Gaudreau Calgary Flames LW 1 72 4 0.06
2017–18 William Karlsson Vegas Golden Knights C 1 82 12 0.15

Ratelle, Bucyk and Perreault were greats

Bucyk was never shy to throw it down....

Posted (edited)

Enjoying watching the celebration videos for the franchise's first cup. What a great story. Fired their coach, put in a rookie goalie and won it all.

Someday, maybe us. Maybe. Please.

Edited by Big C
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Big C said:

Enjoying watching the celebration videos for the franchise's first cup. What a great story. Fired their coach, put in a rookie goalie and won it all.

shows what a total farce it is to ask for continued excellence and continuity of great coaching and team effort

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Lady Byng Memorial Trophy:   "player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability".[1]

Means nothing, since none of these guys were any good...

2000–01 Joe Sakic Colorado Avalanche C 1 82 30 0.37
2001–02 Ron Francis Carolina Hurricanes C 3 80 18 0.23
2002–03 Alexander Mogilny Toronto Maple Leafs RW 1 73 12 0.16
2003–04 Brad Richards Tampa Bay Lightning C 1 82 12 0.15
2004–05 Not awarded due to the lockout.
2005–06 Pavel Datsyuk Detroit Red Wings C 1 75 22 0.29
2006–07 Pavel Datsyuk Detroit Red Wings C 2 79 20 0.25
2007–08 Pavel Datsyuk Detroit Red Wings C 3 82 20 0.24
2008–09 Pavel Datsyuk Detroit Red Wings C 4 81 22 0.27
2009–10 Martin St. Louis Tampa Bay Lightning RW 1 82 12 0.15
2010–11 Martin St. Louis Tampa Bay Lightning RW 2 82 12 0.15
2011–12 Brian Campbell Florida Panthers D 1 82 6 0.07
2012–13 Martin St. Louis Tampa Bay Lightning RW 3 48 14 0.29
2013–14 Ryan O'Reilly Colorado Avalanche C 1 80 2 0.03
2014–15 Jiri Hudler Calgary Flames RW 1 78 14 0.18
2015–16 Anze Kopitar Los Angeles Kings C 1 81 16 0.20
2016–17 Johnny Gaudreau Calgary Flames LW 1 72 4 0.06
2017–18 William Karlsson Vegas Golden Knights C 1 82 12 0.15

The main criteria for the lady bang is the number of penalty minutes you take in a season. It usually goes to one of the players (who play top 6/top 4 roles on their team) with the least amount of penalty minutes. 

Maybe I shouldn’t have said it’s meaningless. But it’s not an award given for being one of the best players in the NHL. Like the year ROf won in (2013) he was 33rd in the NHL in points, 29th in goals, 56th in assists. 

He wasn’t even top 20 in any category (with a quick glance)

https://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2014_leaders.html

And I never once said ROR wasn’t any good. Even in his last season here he was still a good player for us. But it was still nothing like his 1st year here, or this year in STL, when everyone was saying “is this guy too good to be true?”. 

In ROR’s first year here he was unreal, just like in STL this year. Anyone you put on his line he had producing (even Nic Deslauriers). He was our best player in 2015, without a doubt. 

He was not that same player last year. 

I still never wanted to trade him. Even after the comments. I was pretty outspoken about that. I said the only way I was ok with trading him is if we got a return we couldn’t refuse. That didn’t happen. I hated the return from day 1. But I tried my best to look at it as a futures trade and not judge it until we knew where the 1st fell at the very least.

My main point is that I just don’t buy this narrative that ROR was blameless in getting shipped out of buffalo. Botterill got a crap return but ROR played a large role in getting traded. In Botterill’s only year with ROR in Buffalo, he did not get to see the player we all saw in 2015-16. He got to see a player that was a shell of his former self. If you want to say he was beaten down by the losing, I’d say that was very likely. But whatever the reason, he just wasn’t the same driven to win player he was when he first got here. 

I also don’t buy that he didn’t want to leave (as I explained above). 

And for someone one who supposedly didn’t want to get traded, he sure was super excited when it happened (and in every interview afterwards). He seemed glad to be out of Buffalo, and even talked about how he was never equipped to be a leader here (the whole reason it was reported he wanted out of Colorado - to go be a real leader, and main guy, on a team). 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Big C said:

Yeah, super happy for STL fans. They were the team that had been in the NHL the longest without a Cup win. Now Buffalo and Vancouver are... lol. 

A couple cool celebration videos -

https://globalnews.ca/video/5385110/fans-celebrate-after-st-louis-blues-win-first-ever-stanley-cup

4 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah, super happy for STL fans. They were the team that had been in the NHL the longest without a Cup win. Now Buffalo and Vancouver are... lol. 

A couple cool celebration videos -

https://globalnews.ca/video/5385110/fans-celebrate-after-st-louis-blues-win-first-ever-stanley-cup

Per the bold: be that as it may, there is still one team that has gone longer than Buffalo and Vancouver without winning a cup, regardless of our number of years in the league without one.

• Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Per the bold: be that as it may, there is still one team that has gone longer than Buffalo and Vancouver without winning a cup, regardless of our number of years in the league without one.

Big deal. At least they have won. 

9 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

ROR can say whatever he wants for public consumption. If the fella didn't want out, he wouldn't have been traded. 

You mean because the Sabres front office has shown a level of competence on team building?  Forgive me for laughing at the very thought.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

You mean because the Sabres front office has shown a level of competence on team building?  Forgive me for laughing at the very thought.

It's understandable why ROR was frustrated and wanted out. He got tired of the losing and felt that he was stuck in a situation that wasn't going to soon change. But that's not to say that he didn't contribute in forcing his way out of town. What was apparent to his teammates and to the organization that his level of play and preparation noticeably declined. This malaise in play and attitude was going on for more than a short time. 

When ROR was traded to Buffalo and signed a near max contract he signed with a team that he knew was undertaking a major rebuild. He signed a long-term deal with a team that was still quite away from being a good team. So there should be no surprise what he was going to experience. 

There are plenty of players in this league who play for bad teams and organizations who continue to give consistent effort. So the situation he was in was not so unusual.  What bothers me the most about this situation is his on and off the ice dropoff. That lack of commitment that he deliberately exhibited created a situation where he needed to be moved. 

Without question the Sabres front office has not acted competently for quite awhile. But even acknowledging the obvious doesn't make ROR's behavior very admirable. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Q-baby! said:

Big deal. At least they have won. 

It was meant as a joke. Lighten up. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

I basically agree with John C's response. There are levels of incompetency. Maybe you think JBots is a complete idiot. I don't.

Edited by Dr. Who

35 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I basically agree with John C's response. There are levels of incompetency. Maybe you think JBots is a complete idiot. I don't.

You should never publicly agree with me. It brings into question your judgment. :)

I made this point in another post so I apologize for the repetition: I don't recall one player questioning the trade or defending the player. It was recently reported that the GM was aggressively working to get him dealt. It's obvious to me that more was going on behind the scenes that made this trade a necessity, or at least made the organization feel that he had to be moved. 

• Thanks! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

It was meant as a joke. Lighten up. 

Sorry, didn’t catch that, but didn’t mean for negative tone! 

• Thanks! (+1) 1