Stanley Cup Finals: Bruins Vs Blues

T&C

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Why do you think ROR was traded? He sulked his way off the team the same way he sulked his way off Colorado. Don't know how the Sabres would have looked with a center spine of Eichel, O'Reilly, Mitts, and Asplund, but I'm guessing this coming year they might have been formidable, especially with a coaching change. He's a good player, not so good dude, imo. Feel free to think differently. Personally, I don't believe everyone who disagrees with me is dim, but that's your perogative as well.

Define sulk.   He showed up night after night for 81 games.   He had over 200+ more minutes of ice time than any other forward.   He had the second best scoring year of his career and was the Sabres go-to guy in every critical faceoff or defensive zone matchup.     

And perogative is to ignore people who make up **** like these kind of posts...

1 minute ago, GG said:

And where from your deductive reasoning did I mention that packing in referred simply to points output?  Especially, when I specifically referred to his captaincy and charge to lead a young team.  Care to explain his leadership qualities rubbing off on Eichel, Reinhart & others?  

Still deflecting I see...    

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Define sulk.   He showed up night after night for 81 games.   He had over 200+ more minutes of ice time than any other forward.   He had the second best scoring year of his career and was the Sabres go-to guy in every critical faceoff or defensive zone matchup.     

And perogative is to ignore people who make up **** like these kind of posts...

So now folks who disagree with you are dim, make crappy posts, and ought to be ignored? You're a lovely fellow. Again, why was he traded? His play was not the issue. If you use your superior intellect you might discern I said he was a good player, so why are you quoting me stats to indicate he is a good player. I'm not disputing that. Teams don't ordinarily trade players like that who produce well and certainly not for questionable and generally poor returns unless they are forced to because of issues obvious or not. I surmise character problems that might be connoted broadly as a sulk.

Edited by Dr. Who

https://buffalonews.com/2019/06/12/st-louis-blues-stanley-cup-ryan-oreilly-nhl-jordan-binnington/

O'Reilly never wanted to be traded when he said he had lost his passion for the game. He told TSN that last year at the World Championships, saying he was looking forward to playing with Rasmus Dahlin. His father reiterated the point on the Garden ice Wednesday night.

"His comment about being complacent with losing and we have a culture where we're not doing the hard work was what he believed," Brian O'Reilly said. "We've always told our kids if you want to find the truth, you've got to remove and point out what's false. And he pointed out the falsehood. There are false things and he called them out.

"He had no intention of leaving. He wanted to stay there and build it. But once something leaves your mouth, people pick up anything they want from it and make it into anything they want. I guess that's what happened.

We love Buffalo. I have the greatest respect for Terry (owner Terry Pegula). They treated him so well. I love the city. It was so nice to drive three hours and go to games. We were happy there. But they decided to move on."

Who are these "people" who "pick up anything they want from it and make it into anything they want?" Do you think the hoi polloi got O'Reilly traded? Either JBots is as dim as the other folks you have contempt for or there was a problem.

Interesting comments from dad.  One would imagine that the team captain would try to enforce that players worked hard to achieve the goal.  Isn't that a big reason for the big C on the sweater?

https://theathletic.com/1003253/2019/05/31/ryan-oreillys-unique-approach-to-the-game-began-long-before-the-nhl/

“It’s been an absolute rollercoaster. Throughout the whole thing,” O’Reilly said.

“It’s crazy how one year can change so dramatically.  Being so disappointed. And not thinking I was going to be traded at all. Sitting there at the end of the year thinking how do I be a part of this change? Thinking I’ve got to do some things different in order to get this group in the right way.

Next thing you know I hear I’m kind of on the block and then I’m traded.”

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

https://theathletic.com/1003253/2019/05/31/ryan-oreillys-unique-approach-to-the-game-began-long-before-the-nhl/

“It’s been an absolute rollercoaster. Throughout the whole thing,” O’Reilly said.

“It’s crazy how one year can change so dramatically.  Being so disappointed. And not thinking I was going to be traded at all. Sitting there at the end of the year thinking how do I be a part of this change? Thinking I’ve got to do some things different in order to get this group in the right way.

Next thing you know I hear I’m kind of on the block and then I’m traded.”

Sounds like he just admitted that he was a ***** captain.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

ROR can say whatever he wants for public consumption. If the fella didn't want out, he wouldn't have been traded. 

Yep. It was a carefully orchestrated exit. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Yep. It was a carefully orchestrated exit. 

In which case, ROR's public expression ought to be ironized, no? He's not just some simple, hardworking emo who was blindsided by a trade. But maybe Jbots didn't realize ROR was a good player so he traded him for a bad return just because, you know, he's a dim.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

In which case, ROR's public expression ought to be ironized, no? He's not just some simple, hardworking emo who was blindsided by a trade. But maybe Jbots didn't realize ROR was a good player so he traded him for a bad return just because, you know, he's a dim.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s it, too. JBotts simply had no idea O’Reilly was any good at all. He probably thought he got a steal from St. Louis in return, too. 

Seriously though, if Pegs had insisted on paying that $7.5m bonus BEFORE the trade, it probably would have opened up additional trade opportunities with other teams. 

Anyway, as good as ROR is, if not for Binnington’s arrival and, more importantly, the naming of Berube as coach, he’d still have been the sulking post game emo he was his first three months in St. Louis when he, once again, was helping his team to a last place position in the standings. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Q-baby! said:

Lots of sour grapes here. 

Not from me. I congratulate Ryan O’Reilly on winning the cup and being named MVP.

I am also glad he’s no longer on my favorite team. Have been since we traded him. Good a player as he is. He wanted out and needed to go. It wasn’t a healthy situation for anybody concerned. 

41 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Not from me. I congratulate Ryan O’Reilly on winning the cup and being named MVP.

I am also glad he’s no longer on my favorite team. Have been since we traded him. Good a player as he is. He wanted out and needed to go. It wasn’t a healthy situation for anybody concerned. 

I've read and heard radio reports that the GM was determined to trade him. So that tells you that the situation was untenable. It was also reported that another team that was interested in him was Montreal who also needed a second line center. Apparently the return in each case was not so overwhelming. I have not and will not be critical of the trade because obviously the GM felt compelled that the locker room needed to be altered. What is noticeable about this deal is that I don't recall any players making any statements on or off the record criticizing the organization for this trade. 

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I've read and heard radio reports that the GM was determined to trade him. So that tells you that the situation was untenable. It was also reported that another team that was interested in him was Montreal who also needed a second line center. Apparently the return in each case was not so overwhelming. I have not and will not be critical of the trade because obviously the GM felt compelled that the locker room needed to be altered. What is noticeable about this deal is that I don't recall any players making any statements on or off the record criticizing the organization for this trade. 

some times it really is "all business"

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

some times it really is "all business"

In hockey more than most sports the "mix" in the room is very important. It's has to be remembered that ROR was a captain and a core player. When an organization invests in a player like him and the player is not invested in the team then that is not a simple problem but a festering problem that needs to be addressed. The best way to deal with the fallout of the void created by his departure is to act as quickly to fill the void. This is going to be an important offseason for the GM to address some of the roster needs. 

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

In hockey more than most sports the "mix" in the room is very important. It's has to be remembered that ROR was a captain and a core player. When an organization invests in a player like him and the player is not invested in the team then that is not a simple problem but a festering problem that needs to be addressed. The best way to deal with the fallout of the void created by his departure is to act as quickly to fill the void. This is going to be an important offseason for the GM to address some of the roster needs. 

i believe that Mark Messier had the ability to scare a teammate into trying a little harder, just by staring at him between the 2nd and 3rd.  No other sport can do that.

The Leafs always beat up a teammate who sleeps with the wife of another Leaf, pretty severe injuries dished out.

Just now, row_33 said:

i believe that Mark Messier had the ability to scare a teammate into trying a little harder, just by staring at him between the 2nd and 3rd.  No other sport can do that.

The Leafs always beat up a teammate who sleeps with the wife of another Leaf, pretty severe injuries dished out.

Mark Messier was a genuine tough guy. What gave him credibility is not his words or menacing stare but his fanatical effort. No one on the ice was going to play harder. His passion was real. However, there are different styles of leadership. All of them revolve around authenticity. You can't be someone you are not. A player like Skinner shows leadership not through verbal fluidity but through effort in preparation and in the games. 

The sports world in every sport is a small world. There are few secrets. Having sex with a teammates wife or significant other is fraught with danger and complexity. The link below is about the infamous NY Yankee wife swap that at the time caused a public sensation but was well known by the baseball world before it became public. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/original-wife-swap-yankee-pitchers-trade-lives-article-1.2138703