Stanley Cup Finals: Bruins Vs Blues

T&C

12 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

well, ROR was not here for the tank..so he construction of the roster was meant to win. Now you can argue the roster stunk, i tend to think the coach stunk... 

Having said that, i am fine with the trade. As i have mentioned 1000 times..go back in the Sabres archived thread and look at most peoples posts from October and November. Blues were fighting in practice, in DFL in the NHL and Sabres were tied for 1st overall, and we all were saying ROR kills a room and Sabres are way better off without him.

New coach comes in and voila'..

the argument prolly should be framed ROR for Housley...

They won the November trophy... Yay.

I don't even follow hockey much but this post is ridiculous. They aren't better with out him, not in anyway.

8 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

They won the November trophy... Yay.

I don't even follow hockey much but this post is ridiculous. They aren't better with out him, not in anyway.

My point was all the fretting over the trade is revisionist history. People who are killing JBotts for the trade now( everywhere, not just in this thread) were praising him in November for getting rid of the room killer. 

I know you have not been in this thread, but as anyone on here can tell you, even in mid December i was screaming  there  was a big problem with the Sabres..and it was the coach.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

My point was all the fretting over the trade is revisionist history. People who are killing JBotts for the trade now( everywhere, not just in this thread) were praising him in November for getting rid of the room killer. 

I know you have not been in this thread, but as anyone on here can tell you, even in mid December i was screaming  there  was a big problem with the Sabres..and it was the coach.

It is unfair to say that he was a room killer. He wasn't. That is not to say that as a captain he was a leader. He wasn't. He's more of an insular person who is more comfortable working on his game and playing up to his high standards than demanding it from others. There are no players on the Sabres or in the league who will out work him in preparation and in the games. 

The Sabres traded with Colorado to get him. He came from a losing team. He played for Buffalo for a couple of years on a losing team with little near future prospects for success. He wanted out of that oppressive losing environment. I understand his perspective; and I understand the GM's perspective. You can't have one of your highly paid core players on a long-term deal openly express his desire for a change of scenery. That is not only untenable but it can be poisonous to the team. 

This situation of a player wanting to be moved happens frequently not only in the NHL but also in all pro sports. However, make no mistake about it when he was dealt it left a considerable void. How the GM handles the market this offseason will determine whether ROR's departure was crippling in the short or the longer run. If the GM can bolster the roster this offseason then his loss will be less damaging.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It is unfair to say that he was a room killer. He wasn't. That is not to say that as a captain he was a leader. He wasn't. He's more of an insular person who is more comfortable working on his game and playing up to his high standards than demanding it from others. There are no players on the Sabres or in the league who will out work him in preparation and in the games. 

The Sabres traded with Colorado to get him. He came from a losing team. He played for Buffalo for a couple of years on a losing team with little near future prospects for success. He wanted out of that oppressive losing environment. I understand his perspective; and I understand the GM's perspective. You can't have one of your highly paid core players on a long-term deal openly express his desire for a change of scenery. That is not only untenable but it can be poisonous to the team. 

This situation of a player wanting to be moved happens frequently not only in the NHL but also in all pro sports. However, make no mistake about it when he was dealt it left a considerable void. How the GM handles the market this offseason will determine whether ROR's departure was crippling in the short or the longer run. If the GM can bolster the roster this offseason then his loss will be less damaging.  

I am not arguing any of your points, and i am not saying he was or was not a room a room killer( i think it readily apparent Housley was the true room killer, but i digress), i am saying the vast majority of people killing JBotts for the trade now were praising him for the trade in July and November...but that's the nature of trades..ya win some, ya lose some...this one was almost universally praised as addition by subtraction.....hindsight is not so kind to it

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I am not arguing any of your points, and i am not saying he was or was not a room a room killer( i think it readily apparent Housley was the true room killer, but i digress), i am saying the vast majority of people killing JBotts for the trade now were praising him for the trade in July and November...but that's the nature of trades..ya win some, ya lose some...this one was almost universally praised as addition by subtraction.....hindsight is not so kind to it

That's because most "fans" are far too quick to glean onto the smallest infractions and blow them out of proportion.  O'Reilly was honest about the losing getting to him and any Sabres' fan who ripped him for it is a goddamn hypocrite.  He's a smart player who works his ass off and I'm the least surprised person in the world that he's kicking ass in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

That's because most "fans" are far too quick to glean onto the smallest infractions and blow them out of proportion.  O'Reilly was honest about the losing getting to him and any Sabres' fan who ripped him for it is a goddamn hypocrite.  He's a smart player who works his ass off and I'm the least surprised person in the world that he's kicking ass in the playoffs.

Exactly. Although the optics of his comments about losing his desire (I'm also not sure that didn't stem from advice from his agent to goose a trade) are borderline treasonous to fans, I didn't blame him a bit for wanting out. The organization is and has been a mess for years. Why would he want to waste his prime hoping that this GM will finally pry the team out of its crypt and back towards the land of the living. 

On 6/8/2019 at 8:30 AM, plenzmd1 said:

Fair enough, I agree the coach was definitely an issue. I'm just not a fan of giving away talent for what will end up being nothing.

I feel pretty confident about that being the result. None of them will be near what O'Reilly is. One already quit. I'm not an O'Reilly fan either. I'm just a fan of good management and sending a guy out because of that crap he pulled in his last presser for nothing isn't good management. 

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:29 AM, Alaska Darin said:

My hope is that the GM is going to act with dispatch (but also intelligently) in upgrading the roster this offseason. My fear is if the losing continues with this battered franchise that it will spill over and have the same dispiriting affect on its core players such as Jack and Reinhart as it did with ROR. I believe that Risto is already at the point or close to that point where he is tired of knowing only losing and watching the playoff games from his couch. Sometimes a change of scenery can be energizing for all the parties involved. 

On 6/8/2019 at 8:30 AM, plenzmd1 said:

I remember it more like public opinion being about 60/40 in favor of it.  I was in the minority that wanted him to stay as I never liked the Housley hiring.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Game 7 should be a lot of fun.  I just hope it's a close game.

It would be awesome if we could it to OT.

if the Bruins try it will be over quickly