RIP BIlly Buckner

DC Tom

1 minute ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Buckner was one of my all-time favorites.

Wild statistic:  he never struck out three times in a game.

To put that in perspective Tony Gwynn did it once, Ichiro 22 times, and Adam Dunn did it 179 times (all-time leader).

I was too young to understand the hate for BB. Sure, everyone knew his name and he was almost like a villain but that is an amazing stat. I just heard it on the NHL coverage, thought I heard it wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

I was too young to understand the hate for BB. Sure, everyone knew his name and he was almost like a villain but that is an amazing stat. I just heard it on the NHL coverage, thought I heard it wrong. 

I always just felt bad for the man.  Errors are part of the game.

For my money most of the blame should go to the Red Sox manager, John McNamara.  Buckner’s ankles were shot, and he had been being pulled out of the game in the 6th or 7th all season and replaced by Dave Stapleton who was strong defensively.

McNamara put the cart before the horse, and left Buckner in so he could be on the field when the Sox clinched.

Boston sucks.  Say the BoSox never won a World Series and curse continued.  Would those horrible fans still have treated him like shi...

I highly think so.  They won in 2004 and Buckner still declined the 20th reunion of the '86 team because he was treated poorly beforethey won in 2004.  Pile on a couple more WS wins and fans get amnesia on how poorly they treated him.

RIP Billy Buck.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, eball said:

The blame rightfully belongs on the manager, who should have had a defensive replacement in the game. Buckner could hardly walk and yes, he knew he needed to hustle to beat Mookie. 

As a young Mets fan that still ranks as one of my all-time favorite moments. Sucks Buckner had to put up with that schitt for the rest of his life. The Sox could still have won game 7. 

Norwood has it tougher

Well said—no do-overs in football playoffs, one and done. Kinda wish it was more like the other leagues in that regard of having a series, because you can’t tell me the Bills would’ve dropped an entire series to the Giants in 90, for instance. 

RIP  Buckner.

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

4 hours ago, eball said:

The blame rightfully belongs on the manager, who should have had a defensive replacement in the game. Buckner could hardly walk and yes, he knew he needed to hustle to beat Mookie. 

As a young Mets fan that still ranks as one of my all-time favorite moments. Sucks Buckner had to put up with that schitt for the rest of his life. The Sox could still have won game 7. 

Norwood has it tougher. 

I'll respectfully disagree.  That was a grounder that anyone above the age of 11 should have handled.

But ... as you said ... Sox had a lead in Game 7 and blew that, too.  (thank you, baseball Gods).

The Red Sox lost Game 6 (and the World Series) because of Buckner.  But the Mets WON the series.

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'll respectfully disagree.  That was a grounder that anyone above the age of 11 should have handled.

But ... as you said ... Sox had a lead in Game 7 and blew that, too.  (thank you, baseball Gods).

The Red Sox lost Game 6 (and the World Series) because of Buckner.  But the Mets WON the series.

he could barely run, McNamara blew it by putting him out there on D

as well, Garigiola makes a comment about Barrett being out of position on the at bat,  just before that moment that lives forever

7 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Second favorite, to the real goat of the ‘86 Series:  Calvin Schiraldi.

RIP

was there ever a a worse display of a sad sack attitude and posture fulfilling itself?

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

If you've never watched Curb Your Enthusiasm, watch the Bill Buckner episode. RIP.

Actually I've never watched Curb Your Enthusiasm, but will watch this episode tonight.

But from what I've seen watching replays, Wilson was going to be safe not matter what. There's no way Buckner would have beaten Wilson to the bag, Stanley was nowhere in the picture, and even if he had been Wilson would have beaten the throw.

Anyways RIP Bill. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

The whole at-bat

The Nintendo was waaay better

nowawdays i'd tape and get through the Mookie at bat in about 80 seconds watching only the live action

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

nowawdays i'd tape and get through the Mookie at bat in about 80 seconds watching only the live action

Hopefully you'd see what was going on and watch the whole thing.

16 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Hopefully you'd see what was going on and watch the whole thing.

with full nostalgiac goggles on i would listen to every second of Joe Garigiola and Vin Scully calling it.

geez, it was only game 6, not like they'd blow game 7 as well...  :D

As a long time Red Sox fan, the Billy Buckner incident was always just one more cross to bear, among many others.

You got numb and desensitized to that sort of thing over time and began to almost expect that things wouldn't go right, ever.

Then the Red Sox went from being a really stupid organization with racist personnel practices to a really smart, shrewd organization without them,  and they started winning world championships.

When they did, all of the Billy Buckner, or "F-ing Bucky Dent incident" type anguish went away almost immediately for me.

It only took 1 world series to do it, too.  And none of the other WS championships have meant 5% of what that first one did as a fan.

It's a really interesting case study as a Bills and Sabres fan too.

There are a million parallels between the classic Red Sox franchise and both Buffalo sports teams. 

Will the Bills or Sabres ever turn the corner and become one of the shrewdest teams in the league?  

Edited by Nextmanup