Article says "Ravens QB Jackson didn't know about new offense for 2019 season

35 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah this whole thing implies several negative things from our perspective. I mentioned the wonderlic but mostly because it's been said to be inaccurate so when I read that article where someone with a low score did something dumb it made me wonder how accurate it is. Though I think someone once posted a graph that indicated it wasn't completely useless.

The gist of the Wonderlic, with respect to QBs, is that a high score doesn’t necessarily predict success but a low score (i.e., under 15) is a pretty reliable predictor of failure (since the 90s, if memory serves).

1 minute ago, eball said:

The gist of the Wonderlic, with respect to QBs, is that a high score doesn’t necessarily predict success but a low score (i.e., under 15) is a pretty reliable predictor of failure (since the 90s, if memory serves).

Kelly had a low score IIRC

But yes in general you can want a guy with a good score 

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

Kelly had a low score IIRC

Correct, and many have talked about how much more simplified offenses were and that the position is different now. 

23 minutes ago, chris heff said:

1. Greg Roman was already on the staff, coaching in that offense. The article clear stares that “many believed the offense would be substantially the same”.

2. See above since “many” were  under the same impression that the offense would be the same what should he have done? He answered honestly.

3.From the end of the season until the beginning of spring football, according to NFL rules under CBA, they can have no contact.

1. They fired the OC I'm not really sure when that has ever happened when a team does not want to change it's offense. I mean did he think someone took a job where they're responsible for the offense and it's results but is required to run the same offense as the last guy who just got fired?

2. He should of done not that I mean how many times does Josh or McDermott or Beane or any other player here get asked a question and find a way to answer it in a way that doesn't make them, their teammates, or the organization itself look bad. I mean you watch these interviews and plenty of times they respond with a pretty standard response that doesn't really answer the question but moves forward with a positive narrative.

3. "Certainly just understand Josh’s relationship and trust with Jordan, I think that relationship is a good one. It’s important that they work with the right people. We’ll be in touch with Jordan and make sure that we’re synced up there as much as possible in terms of terminology, technique, things that we feel like he needs to work on. Josh already went out there equipped with much of that when he left Buffalo."-Sean McDermott

No body cared I really doubt they couldn't of found a way to let Lamar know.

7 minutes ago, eball said:

I'm pretty sure that's what the graph showed that it wasn't as important as it got higher but at certain point there was a significant drop off on the low side.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, H2o said:

He got the most out of Kaepernick too. Kaep was a better passer than Lamar, which isn't saying much. The Jackson era won't last long in Baltimore. 

Roman is known as a very good run game coordinator. He is not known as a very good offensive coordinator. 

36 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

1. They fired the OC I'm not really sure when that has ever happened when a team does not want to change it's offense. I mean did he think someone took a job where they're responsible for the offense and it's results but is required to run the same offense as the last guy who just got fired?

2. He should of done not that I mean how many times does Josh or McDermott or Beane or any other player here get asked a question and find a way to answer it in a way that doesn't make them, their teammates, or the organization itself look bad. I mean you watch these interviews and plenty of times they respond with a pretty standard response that doesn't really answer the question but moves forward with a positive narrative.

3. "Certainly just understand Josh’s relationship and trust with Jordan, I think that relationship is a good one. It’s important that they work with the right people. We’ll be in touch with Jordan and make sure that we’re synced up there as much as possible in terms of terminology, technique, things that we feel like he needs to work on. Josh already went out there equipped with much of that when he left Buffalo."-Sean McDermott

No body cared I really doubt they couldn't of found a way to let Lamar know.

I'm pretty sure that's what the graph showed that it wasn't as important as it got higher but at certain point there was a significant drop off on the low side.

Okay, just so I’m clear on this, even though the article that was used to start this topic clearly states that most believed the offense would stay the same, it should have been obvious that it would not. Lamar Jackson could have given a vague answer, or said he already knew about a new offense because the team contacted him. Which would be a violation of a collective bargaining agreement, a contract. Resulting in fines and possibly suspensions. I think I understand.

Edited by chris heff

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Roman was actually ON the Raven's coaching staff last two years, as "Assistant Head Coach and TE coach" and previously "Senior Offensive Assistant and TE coach"

He has had every experience to work with Lamar Jackson and with people who scouted Lamar Jackson.

So if G-Ro is not happy working with Lamar Jackson or a QB like Lamar Jackson, he made a pretty poor career decision taking the Ravens OC gig.

When Alex Smith was working with Roman, he was pretty limited as a passer [edit: and when I say 'limited as a passer' I mean, <200 ypg limited.  Like TT without as significant run threat limited].  He didn't "blossom" as a more traditional passer until he moved to KC and Andy Reid started working with him.

The poster I was responding to stated Roman did not want to work with Taylor and that Jackson was of a similar skill set. My response was that it was possible that he wasn't happy in getting Taylor; however, on the other hand, he was fully aware of what he was getting in Jackson when he accepted the OC position (as he was on the staff last year). So, he clearly is comfortable enough working with a QB such as Jackson - and he has done a great job with similar QBs.

Smith did blossom under Reid; however, even though Smith averaged just under 200 YPG, he was still pretty productive under Roman: 64% completion, 30 TDs, 10 INTs, and 19-5-1 as a starter. I mentioned him because he was the only example of a "traditional" pocket passer Roman worked with, and he did pretty well with him. 

8 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Okay, just so I’m clear on this, even though the article that was used to start this topic clearly states that most believed the offense would stay the same, it should have been obvious that it would not.

So your saying they were able tell him that it would be the same but not that it's different? I mean the only thing that I think people were expecting was that it would be a pretty run heavy offense and is it not because that'd be pretty "interesting" direction to go in with Jackson as QB. I mean at the point when the team stopped being able to talk with him about this they should of already let him know what direction they were going in I mean why wouldn't they?

14 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Lamar Jackson could have given a vague answer, or said he already knew about a new offense because the team contacted him. Which we be a violation of a collective bargaining agreement, a contract. Resulting in fines and possibly suspensions. I think I understand.

Yeah if you were really that worried about getting fined for that he absolutely could of done that and he wouldn't of made himself and the Ravens organization look bad. Also I just literally quoted you something that McDermott said at I think the owners meeting that contradicts this and I have yet to hear anything about a fine/suspension incoming.

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

So your saying they were able tell him that it would be the same but not that it's different? I mean the only thing that I think people were expecting was that it would be a pretty run heavy offense and is it not because that'd be pretty "interesting" direction to go in with Jackson as QB. I mean at the point when the team stopped being able to talk with him about this they should of already let him know what direction they were going in I mean why wouldn't they?

Yeah if you were really that worried about getting fined for that he absolutely could of done that and he wouldn't of made himself and the Ravens organization look bad. Also I just literally quoted you something that McDermott said at I think the owners meeting that contradicts this and I have yet to hear anything about a fine/suspension incoming.

You do understand that Jordan Palmer is not on the Bills coaching staff? The can tell him all the terminology they want. There is no mention of anyone from the Bills staff contacting Josh Allen. The Bills did not change coordinators. Are you say that the Ravens should have used a third party to relay new offense and playbook to Jackson?

1 minute ago, chris heff said:

You do understand that Jordan Palmer is not on the Bills coaching staff? The can tell him all the terminology they want. There is no mention of anyone from the Bills staff contacting Josh Allen. The Bills did not change coordinators. Are you say that the Ravens should have used a third party to relay new offense and playbook to Jackson?

"Certainly just understand Josh’s relationship and trust with Jordan, I think that relationship is a good one. It’s important that they work with the right people. We’ll be in touch with Jordan and make sure that we’re synced up there as much as possible in terms of terminology, technique, things that we feel like he needs to work on. Josh already went out there equipped with much of that when he left Buffalo."-Sean McDermott

As to using a 3rd party they could of put up a damn billboard saying they'd have a new offense it's not like that in itself puts them at a disadvantage. I mean there is no reason for Jackson not to know the offense was going to be different. I mean what was it supposed to a surprise for opposing defenses? if so whoops guess Lamar shouldn't of said anything.

32 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

"Certainly just understand Josh’s relationship and trust with Jordan, I think that relationship is a good one. It’s important that they work with the right people. We’ll be in touch with Jordan and make sure that we’re synced up there as much as possible in terms of terminology, technique, things that we feel like he needs to work on. Josh already went out there equipped with much of that when he left Buffalo."-Sean McDermott

As to using a 3rd party they could of put up a damn billboard saying they'd have a new offense it's not like that in itself puts them at a disadvantage. I mean there is no reason for Jackson not to know the offense was going to be different. I mean what was it supposed to a surprise for opposing defenses? if so whoops guess Lamar shouldn't of said anything.

The sentence you highlighted is referring to discussions held with Allen before the league season end and him leaving Buffalo to go home to California where he works out with Palmer.

Except that the article used to start this topic clearly states that most people thought the offense would stay the same. 

You don’t say...

The idea is to stress the defense in the run game with an athletic quarterback, which should open up things in the passing game. And seeing the direction the NFL’s been going in (spread-out pass-heavy offenses vs. smallish defenses to combat them), the Ravens are very much zigging when so many other teams are zagging. It’s smart, if a little risky with the health of a quarterback who’s not built the way a Cam Newton or Ben Roethlisberger is.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/05/27/new-england-patriots-benjamin-watson-suspension-new-york-jets-general-manager-search

This is why you don't have your mother as your agent. A professional agent would have made sure you prepared for the Wonderlic test. A professional agent would have talked to you about your off-season preparation and would be working with you on the way you handled interviews and what you say publicly. I can't help but wonder if some of these problems would be better dealt with if he had a professional agent.

5 minutes ago, bills_believer said:

This is why you don't have your mother as your agent. A professional agent would have made sure you prepared for the Wonderlic test. A professional agent would have talked to you about your off-season preparation and would be working with you on the way you handled interviews and what you say publicly. I can't help but wonder if some of these problems would be better dealt with if he had a professional agent.

But then who would fill your lunch box? All angles must be considered! 

14 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Why should we care again?

because he came out in the same highly heralded 2018 draft QB class of Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson.

glad I could help....?

Edited by cba fan

2 hours ago, chris heff said:

Okay, just so I’m clear on this, even though the article that was used to start this topic clearly states that most believed the offense would stay the same, it should have been obvious that it would not. Lamar Jackson could have given a vague answer, or said he already knew about a new offense because the team contacted him. Which would be a violation of a collective bargaining agreement, a contract. Resulting in fines and possibly suspensions. I think I understand.

Yo not to jump in or anything but the article in question is NOT referring, when it says ‘many’, to people in the Ravens organization specifically.  At least not that I can tell. Those ‘many’ people could be media, fans, residents of Baltimore, people familiar with Greg Roman, or just a bunch of people the writer got together and asked ‘hey, who here thought the Ravens’ 2019 offense under Roman is going to be basically the same as 2018?’ and if more than two people raised their hands...there’s your ‘many’. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Yo not to jump in or anything but the article in question is NOT referring, when it says ‘many’, to people in the Ravens organization specifically.  At least not that I can tell. Those ‘many’ people could be media, fans, residents of Baltimore, people familiar with Greg Roman, or just a bunch of people the writer got together and asked ‘hey, who here thought the Ravens’ 2019 offense under Roman is going to be basically the same as 2018?’ and if more than two people raised their hands...there’s your ‘many’. 

Wow how astute. You know what the writer thought and how he reached his conclusion and how “many” people constitute “many”. Is it a burden being that insightful?

Edited by chris heff