Article says "Ravens QB Jackson didn't know about new offense for 2019 season

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Kelly got a 15 & Marino got a 16.  I wouldn't hold a 13 Wonderlic against him.  Who knows what the class of 2018 will look like in 5 years?   I don't care as long as everyone rates Josh Allen #1 in due time. 

Also, give Jackson a break. Aren't there rules against players & coaches communication in the off-season?  Blame the players association. 

You don’t think preparation for these things haven’t changed in the last 30 years.  A 15/16 back 30 years ago meant very little because none of the Players went to draft prep classes that work specifically on the things they will get tested on in the draft.

A 13 now equates to a 4 or a 5 back then because of the access to tests to prepare for this and tips on how to score better.  It could very well be that Jackson did no prep work, but again that reflects on him.

I do not care if he recognizes the changes to the offense or not - or can’t figure out where he is holding the ball and why it wobbles.  I think he is just not a great player and like TT - will not be able to do enough to be a consistent winner once teams figure out the best way to defend him.

18 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Professional athletes make adjustments all the time. How often do you hear about footwork or mechanics?  Or a golfer adjusting his grip. In this case it is another reason to pile on Lamar Jackson. Why vilify this particular young man? Is he a bad person? What is it about Lamar Jackson that has so many casting aspersions? His intelligence has been questioned, his athleticism has been questioned. I don’t get it.

I won’t question his athleticism, but there is no questioning his intelligence or lack there of.  

This is has been noted from his handling of questions, his wonderlic, his pre draft talks, everything has pointed to his subpar intelligence.  It may or may not impact his play that will be determined.

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..THAT should be interesting...my closely connected buds to OBD said Roman went ballistic internally with the Cassel trade and having to work with Tuhrod.....seeing that Tuhrod was Wrecks' boy, wonder if Roman's firing lends credence to him not wanting to work with Taylor....Jackson is of a similar skill set IMO (but probably wrong)...

It wouldn't surprise me if Roman was not terribly happy having to work with Taylor after having to work with Kaepernick. However, he did, in fact, accept the Raven's OC job knowing he would have to work with Jackson. So, maybe he is comfortable with that type of QB - but, would actually prefer a traditional pocket QB (he did really well with Alex Smith the one year he had him)? I don't know. I personally like Roman as an OC, I would love to see what he could do with a QB who actually has top tier talent.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

You don’t think preparation for these things haven’t changed in the last 30 years.  A 15/16 back 30 years ago meant very little because none of the Players went to draft prep classes that work specifically on the things they will get tested on in the draft.

A 13 now equates to a 4 or a 5 back then because of the access to tests to prepare for this and tips on how to score better.  It could very well be that Jackson did no prep work, but again that reflects on him.

I do not care if he recognizes the changes to the offense or not - or can’t figure out where he is holding the ball and why it wobbles.  I think he is just not a great player and like TT - will not be able to do enough to be a consistent winner once teams figure out the best way to defend him.

I won’t question his athleticism, but there is no questioning his intelligence or lack there of.  

This is has been noted from his handling of questions, his wonderlic, his pre draft talks, everything has pointed to his subpar intelligence.  It may or may not impact his play that will be determined.

I posted an article earlier that would dispute your assertion. I’ll summarize, Jackson was a good student in Junior High, he struggled in high school and was lost in the football program in Pompano. His mother moved him to Boynton Beach, enrolled him in Boynton Beach Community High School. The football coach there was and is Rick Swain, a coach for thirty years. When he first spots Lamar he told him to take care of his grades first and they would talk about football the following spring. Lamar received straight A s for the next two semesters before he was allowed in the football program. Don’t know what happened at Louisville, but my guess is Petrino didn’t give a damn about grades.

https://247sports.com/Article/How-Lamar-Jackson-went-from-struggling-student-to-Heisman-contender-47448027/

13 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Roman was not terribly happy having to work with Taylor after having to work with Kaepernick. However, he did, in fact, accept the Raven's OC job knowing he would have to work with Jackson. So, maybe he is comfortable with that type of QB - but, would actually prefer a traditional pocket QB (he did really well with Alex Smith the one year he had him)? I don't know. I personally like Roman as an OC, I would love to see what he could do with a QB who actually has top tier talent.

...nicely done analysis bud.....:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Sounds like an actor trying to avoid the typecast label. Be "Kramer" Roman. That's your thing. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Kelly got a 15 & Marino got a 16.  I wouldn't hold a 13 Wonderlic against him.  Who knows what the class of 2018 will look like in 5 years?   I don't care as long as everyone rates Josh Allen #1 in due time. 

Also, give Jackson a break. Aren't there rules against players & coaches communication in the off-season?  Blame the players association. 

I wouldn’t want to depend on Jackson to become my franchise QB, but I agree there is no need to obsess over Wonderlic scores. I’d be more concerned with his ability as a passer. He won’t succeed if he doesn’t become a competent passer, and it really won’t have much to do with some test score. 

I don't think he is going to be Vince Young bad but I have low expectations for him.  With an entire off season to prepare for him, defensive coordinators will scheme to contain his running and force him to win games with his arm. He has yet to prove that he is capable of doing that. With the personnel losses on the Baltimore defense, the offense will need to score more points to win games this year.  I'm skeptical that this will happen.

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...agreed....those scores are immaterial and do not equate to football acumen......look beyond Jackson's score and go from there....

First off. Jackson's biggest problem will be his defense that lost a ton of playmakers so he can't ride them anymore.   Second,  Football IQ and intelligence both matter in today's NFL.  Guys with low wonderlic can not make it at QB in today's league without a simplified offense IMO.  Now let's look at the K Gun in its heyday. It relied on a quality center who could get the QB out of bad calls. It spread the field and limited play calls so it let the men win their one on ones. All the QB had to do was make the throws and have a running game.  I really think that if you take a kid who can think like Allen AND vary the offense play calls AND spread the field to make reads easier AND give him any time then the sky is the limit for Allen. Allen's intelligence is important. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, chris heff said:

Professional athletes make adjustments all the time. How often do you hear about footwork or mechanics?  Or a golfer adjusting his grip. In this case it is another reason to pile on Lamar Jackson. Why vilify this particular young man? Is he a bad person? What is it about Lamar Jackson that has so many casting aspersions? His intelligence has been questioned, his athleticism has been questioned. I don’t get it.

Ok, football grip aside, I'll give you that players make adjustments at time. However, this is mainly about how he and the organization somehow screwed up to the point where for some reason he had no idea that the offense was going to be different this upcoming season.

This would worry me if I'm a Ravens fan. Either he failed to pay attention that they hired a new OC(which I don't believe)  or somehow the FO didn't inform him of this in due time(which is also mind boggling). In any event common sense tells you that if your team that you are a starting QB hires a new OC, then your playbook on offense will change.

His failure to realize this (again which is common sense) is why his intelligence may be in question by some. And rightfully so, I'm not talking about his 13 wonderlic score.

3 minutes ago, Locomark said:

First off. Jackson's biggest problem will be his defense that lost a ton of playmakers so he can't ride them anymore.   Second,  Football IQ and intelligence both matter in today's NFL.  Guys with low wonderlic can not make it at QB in today's league without a simplified offense IMO.  Now let's look at the K Gun in its heyday. It relied on a quality center who could get the QB out of bad calls. It spread the field and limited play calls so it let the men win their one on ones. All the QB had to do was make the throws and have a running game.  I really think that if you take a kid who can think like Allen AND vary the offense play calls AND spread the field to make reads easier AND give him any time then the sky is the limit for Allen. Allen's intelligence is important. 

...nicely done and objective assessment bud.........:thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Ok, football grip aside, I'll give you that players make adjustments at time. However, this is mainly about how he and the organization somehow screwed up to the point where for some reason he had no idea that the offense was going to be different this upcoming season.

This would worry me if I'm a Ravens fan. Either he failed to pay attention that they hired a new OC(which I don't believe)  or somehow the FO didn't inform him of this in due time(which is also mind boggling). In any event common sense tells you that if your team that you are a starting QB hires a new OC, then your playbook on offense will change.

His failure to realize this (again which is common sense) is why his intelligence may be in question by some. And rightfully so, I'm not talking about his 13 wonderlic score.

This is a direct quote from the article you posted, “Greg Roman is replacing Marty Mornhinweg as offensive coordinator, but many believed the offense would be substantially the same. It won’t be.” In that contact between coaches and players are extremely limited until OTAs and if “many believed the offense would be substantially the same”, why is so hard to comprehend that Jackson was one of the “many”?

55 minutes ago, chris heff said:

I posted an article earlier that would dispute your assertion. I’ll summarize, Jackson was a good student in Junior High, he struggled in high school and was lost in the football program in Pompano. His mother moved him to Boynton Beach, enrolled him in Boynton Beach Community High School. The football coach there was and is Rick Swain, a coach for thirty years. When he first spots Lamar he told him to take care of his grades first and they would talk about football the following spring. Lamar received straight A s for the next two semesters before he was allowed in the football program. Don’t know what happened at Louisville, but my guess is Petrino didn’t give a damn about grades.

https://247sports.com/Article/How-Lamar-Jackson-went-from-struggling-student-to-Heisman-contender-47448027/

I posted this an hour ago.

5 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

a. he is getting more love from media than Allen.

b. we play them in the opener and he will start.

c. there were some on this board wanting us to take Jackson over Allen in the draft.  

b. That was last year, Joe.  This year we start with New Joisey teams.  Jets then G-men.

We do play the Ravens, but not until December.

a. is correct.

c. I don't remember that, but I don't remember everything.  The most I remember is some folks pointing out he had far more of a passing pedigree than TT did in college.

12 minutes ago, chris heff said:

This is a direct quote from the article you posted, “Greg Roman is replacing Marty Mornhinweg as offensive coordinator, but many believed the offense would be substantially the same. It won’t be.” In that contact between coaches and players are extremely limited until OTAs and if “many believed the offense would be substantially the same”, why is so hard to comprehend that Jackson was one of the “many”?

I posted this an hour ago.

Because he is the ***** starting QB, that's why. Different coaches bring different approaches, again common sense. The starting QB should have a sense of this.

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

Roman was actually ON the Raven's coaching staff last two years, as "Assistant Head Coach and TE coach" and previously "Senior Offensive Assistant and TE coach"

He has had every experience to work with Lamar Jackson and with people who scouted Lamar Jackson.

So if G-Ro is not happy working with Lamar Jackson or a QB like Lamar Jackson, he made a pretty poor career decision taking the Ravens OC gig.

When Alex Smith was working with Roman, he was pretty limited as a passer [edit: and when I say 'limited as a passer' I mean, <200 ypg limited.  Like TT without as significant run threat limited].  He didn't "blossom" as a more traditional passer until he moved to KC and Andy Reid started working with him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Yeah this whole thing implies several negative things from our perspective. I mentioned the wonderlic but mostly because it's been said to be inaccurate so when I read that article where someone with a low score did something dumb it made me wonder how accurate it is. Though I think someone once posted a graph that indicated it wasn't completely useless.

But as to what the article implies

1. That Jackson didn't realize that the Offense would be significantly different after the OC was fired and replaced as well as going from a season where the starting QBs changed. I mean this just doesn't make him look very bright.

2. The fact that he shared this with the media wasn't all that brilliant a decision either.

3. The idea that the Team didn't communicate this with him implies a lack of communication in the organization that doesn't really look good. As to the team not being able to communicate with Jackson in the offseason the Bills were able to communicate with Allen about what they though he needed to work on so I don't see why they couldn't of told Jackson the offense would change.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah this whole thing implies several negative things from our perspective. I mentioned the wonderlic but mostly because it's been said to be inaccurate so when I read that article where someone with a low score did something dumb it made me wonder how accurate it is. Though I think someone once posted a graph that indicated it wasn't completely useless.

But as to what the article implies

1. That Jackson didn't realize that the Offense would be significantly different after the OC was fired and replaced as well as going from a season where the starting QBs changed. I mean this just doesn't make him look very bright.

2. The fact that he shared this with the media wasn't all that brilliant a decision either.

3. The idea that the Team didn't communicate this with him implies a lack of communication in the organization that doesn't really look good. As to the team not being able to communicate with Jackson in the offseason the Bills were able to communicate with Allen about what they though he needed to work on so I don't see why they couldn't of told Jackson the offense would change.

1. Greg Roman was already on the staff, coaching in that offense. The article clear stares that “many believed the offense would be substantially the same”.

2. See above since “many” were  under the same impression that the offense would be the same what should he have done? He answered honestly.

3.From the end of the season until the beginning of spring football, according to NFL rules under CBA, they can have no contact.