Article says "Ravens QB Jackson didn't know about new offense for 2019 season

20 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

He's not a journalist. Not even remotely close to it. A definition does nothing that makes it seem like you know what journalism is.

He writes a column and I am fairly certain that falls into the category of journalism. I am also fairly certain my education and experience allows me to decipher rather simple things that you seem to not comprehend. I also figured out that if something does not fit your narrative on this board then you must pump up your chest and beat the war drums. If you want to butt heads with Webster and all the other experts that define things be my guest, but I am moving along now because sinking to your level isn’t good for me or this board.

32 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

He's not a journalist. Not even remotely close to it. A definition does nothing that makes it seem like you know what journalism is.

Welcome to the age of social media where the practical line between professional journalism and opinionated individual has become thin.  

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Welcome to the age of social media where the practical line between professional journalism and opinionated individual has become thin.  

I agree to an extent. If the guy was covering something of relative importance I'd care about journalism. Sports are entertainment, as far as I'm concerned Mean Gene is the GOAT.

The ones complaining about journalism are taking this far too seriously.

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

He writes a column and I am fairly certain that falls into the category of journalism. I am also fairly certain my education and experience allows me to decipher rather simple things that you seem to not comprehend. I also figured out that if something does not fit your narrative on this board then you must pump up your chest and beat the war drums. If you want to butt heads with Webster and all the other experts that define things be my guest, but I am moving along now because sinking to your level isn’t good for me or this board.

Please continue with your education and experience. This has started to become a boring trend on this board. I think I know far more about journalism than you suspect I do. Or just continue with half insults.

Most in that business wouldn't consider Schopp, Stephen A, Chris Simms or any of them journalists. Or most of the other commentators, yet people like you keep bringing journalism into this when that's not what they are doing. They wouldn't even call themselves journalists at this point. I've heard two out of the three say it. But continue with something you read once.

Journalists don't give opinions. Their jobs require them to. Same with Schatz. If he just gave the numbers and left it, he'd qualify as a journalist. Instead he is interpreting them with his own opinion.

They don't even pretend to be journalists. Only people who disagree with them label them as such so they can use it as an attack.

You don't know what you're talking about. Writing a column does not make you a journalist. Especially when it is self publicated. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

17 hours ago, XABI64 said:

Allen and Darnold still have A LOT to prove to be considered franchise QB's

if both don't make huge strides this season it's going to be a massive uphill battle. I'd only consider Baker a franchise guy right now bc he is significantly better than the rest. 

LOL  

One season does not make a guy a franchise player.  Hell people are still pining for Tim Tebow because he had a winning season.

17 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

They need to show more, sure, absolutely. I'm just encouraged by their college tape and first year trajectory. Darnold and Allen will be good. Baker will win Super Bowls.

LOL.   In Cleveland? 

Aliens will have arrived before that happens.  

Publicly 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I agree to an extent. If the guy was covering something of relative importance I'd care about journalism. Sports are entertainment, as far as I'm concerned Mean Gene is the GOAT.

The ones complaining about journalism are taking this far too seriously.

Please continue with your education and experience. This has started to become a boring trend on this board. I think I know far more about journalism than you suspect I do. Or just continue with half insults.

Most in that business wouldn't consider Schopp, Stephen A, Chris Simms or any of them journalists. Or most of the other commentators, yet people like you keep bringing journalism into this when that's not what they are doing. They wouldn't even call themselves journalists at this point. I've heard two out of the three say it. But continue with something you read once.

Journalists don't give opinions. Their jobs require them to. Same with Schatz. If he just gave the numbers and left it, he'd qualify as a journalist. Instead he is interpreting them with his own opinion.

They don't even pretend to be journalists. Only people who disagree with them label them as such so they can use it as an attack.

You don't know what you're talking about. Writing a column does not make you a journalist. Especially when it is self publicated. 

OK, thanks- we agree to disagree. No big deal and no reason to argue about our different interpretations. Have a good one.

Ravens owner: QB Jackson will run less in 2019

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Baltimore Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti said Wednesday night that the vision of the organization is to build the team around Lamar Jackson and to decrease the rushing attempts for its young franchise quarterback.

"I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that Lamar is not going to be running 20 times a game," Bisciotti said in his first public comments in more than a year. "That's not what this offense is about."

LOL.....   Pesky owners 

On 5/28/2019 at 12:13 PM, GoBills808 said:

It’s the sort of thing a second year NFL QB with a proper management team would be coached to NOT say in interviews/off the cuff remarks . Regardless of his supposed intellect or lack thereof. To me it speaks to a guy who isn’t being well prepared for the scrutiny a starting QB job.

This stuff with Lamar (grip issues, OTA accuracy issues, now this new scheme stuff) might not be a big deal, but it isn’t what you want to be reading about your QB going into Year2 — a vital year.

I imagine how well Bills fans would take hearing these things wrt Allen

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This stuff with Lamar (grip issues, OTA accuracy issues, now this new scheme stuff) might not be a big deal, but it isn’t what you want to be reading about your QB going into Year2 — a vital year.

I imagine how well Bills fans would take hearing these things wrt Allen

Damn straight Yolo.    I can almost here it .....  

with threads like

Will Josh Allen be on the team week 1?

like those for  EJ and NP and TT 

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You'd def be hearing that if he was on the Bills.....but I think the Ravens and Lamar deserve the benefit of the doubt.

They are a consistently solid football team who know what they are doing with respect to player personnel.... and Lamar was a big reason for why they made a run to the playoff spot last season. 

You mean the Ravens who haven't won a playoff game since 2012 and are 32-32 over the past four seasons?  Those Ravens?

It is really quite remarkable the lengths to which you will go to defend other teams, while at the same time taking shots at your own team (allegedly) at every opportunity.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, eball said:

You mean the Ravens who haven't won a playoff game since 2012 and are 32-32 over the past four seasons?  Those Ravens?

It is really quite remarkable the lengths to which you will go to defend other teams, while at the same time taking shots at your own team (allegedly) at every opportunity.

Do you honestly believe the Bills are a better franchise than the Ravens right now?  I guess the argument is that Newsome retired but no one rank the Bills ahead of the Ravens.  However if Allen is the real deal, this can change quickly.  The Ravens have lost a lot of talent.

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Do you honestly believe the Bills are a better franchise than the Ravens right now?  I guess the argument is that Newsome retired but no one rank the Bills ahead of the Ravens.  However if Allen is the real deal, this can change quickly.  The Ravens have lost a lot of talent.

Honestly?  I don't think the Bills are worse, and I believe the teams are trending in opposite directions.

"Everyone" is going to rely upon the past until they see the W-L records reflect a change.  I understand that.

35 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You'd def be hearing that if he was on the Bills.....but I think the Ravens and Lamar deserve the benefit of the doubt.

They are a consistently solid football team who know what they are doing with respect to player personnel.... and Lamar was a big reason for why they made a run to the playoff spot last season. 

That may be very true.   But when you have a Runner as a QB you are still limited in what the offense can do.  See TT and his declining #'s in season 2 and 3 ... 

And IMO, No  it was not because of the OC.  

A good portion of the Ravens TOP ranked Defense has moved on.  That will also factor in the teams success as well in 2019

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I do.     

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yes, those Ravens. The same ones that won their division last year. The Ravens are a consistently competitive team. If I had to guess they are probably the most successful AFC team against the Patriots since their domination the past two decades. 

The Bills aren't consistently competitive. They wouldn't get the benefit of the doubt with Lamar. I am a fan of the Bills. But those are the facts. Sorry eball. 

I don't know what you're apologizing for, that's your opinion.  I just think if you look at recent history the Ravens are not the same franchise you are recalling, and they should absolutely be scrutinized for the Lamar Jackson situation.

4 minutes ago, eball said:

I don't know what you're apologizing for, that's your opinion.  I just think if you look at recent history the Ravens are not the same franchise you are recalling, and they should absolutely be scrutinized for the Lamar Jackson situation.

When the Ravens drafted Lamar Jackson and especially after dealing Flacco the staff understood that he wasn't a conventional qb. That being so the metrics to judge him and his progress understandably would not be the standard evaluation that you would use on most qbs. I may be wrong and presumptuous but I doubt that he will ever be a pocket qb who goes through progressions. But that doesn't mean that he and the team can't be successful in their own unconventional way. 

I respectfully disagree with you that the Ravens aren't viewed by most people as a more successful/solid franchise than the Bills have been over the past decade or so. Hopefully, that perception and reality will soon change. But under Ozzie (now departed) and with Harbaugh as the coach this franchise has consistently been good and recognized for its competency. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

That may be very true.   But when you have a Runner as a QB you are still limited in what the offense can do.  See TT and his declining #'s in season 2 and 3 ... 

And IMO, No  it was not because of the OC.  

A good portion of the Ravens TOP ranked Defense has moved on.  That will also factor in the teams success as well in 2019

I do.     

Homer ?

23 minutes ago, eball said:

So you get on people about impatient with Allen (and I generally agree), but are ready to call Jackson a bust after a season which he played on the playoffs?  Seems a little hypocritical. 

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So you get on people about impatient with Allen (and I generally agree), but are ready to call Jackson a bust after a season which he played on the playoffs?  Seems a little hypocritical. 

To me LJ is TT 2.0.   A runner first, a QB second.  He proved that last season.   

Maybe Greg Roman will have success in year one like he had with TT.    But season 2 in Buffalo became all too predictable.  

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

To me LJ is TT 2.0.   A runner first, a QB second.  He proved that last season.   

Maybe Greg Roman will have success in year one like he had with TT.    But season 2 in Buffalo became all too predictable.  

Allen was a lot like that too.  I’m not saying who is better (though I lean towards Allen).  But it’s crazy how easy some of you are to pass judgment on another qb and get upset when someone does that with Allen.  

Making concrete judgments on any first year qb is kinda insane.  

We've had our Tyrod Taylor running QB experience, which influences a lot of the negative opinions about Lamar on this board.  I think Lamar is a better running QB than Tyrod, but is still a running QB, which NFL defenses will defend by making the Lamar be a quarterback.  Baltimore is doing everything they can to tailor their offence to a high-level running offence and Roman is a great fit as OC to achieve this.

In the long run, I think Lamar holds Baltimore back, but we will see.  They have been a very well run and coached franchise, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

33 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

#1 -- I have not "gotten on" anyone about Allen unless they are predicting failure; I'm encouraged but know he has to take a big step forward this year

#2 -- I don't like Jackson.  I think he's a dummy and I think he will wind up having a very hard time maintaining consistent success as a starting QB

I don't see anything hypocritical about these two statements.

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Allen was a lot like that too.  I’m not saying who is better (though I lean towards Allen).  But it’s crazy how easy some of you are to pass judgment on another qb and get upset when someone does that with Allen.  

Making concrete judgments on any first year qb is kinda insane.  

Allen wasn't "a lot like that."  Did you listen to the 17:00 interview with Chris Simms?  Allen himself said he doesn't know where the running ability came from and it was a surprise to him.  He wasn't looking to run first, he was trying to survive as he learned the position.  Jackson is absolutely a guy who looks to run almost as much as he looks to pass.

The two QBs are apples and oranges.  There is no inconsistency in liking one QB and disliking the other -- they are not the same "style" of QB.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2