Article says "Ravens QB Jackson didn't know about new offense for 2019 season

23 hours ago, chris heff said:

So the fact that Jackson recognizes he is gripping the ball wrong and is trying to correct it makes him stupid? Okay got it.

Don't be silly.  That's not what makes him stupid.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BearNorth said:

Just saw this re: one of our newer players and the Wonderlic

RB - Frank Gore: 6 Wonderlic score

Did Frank Gore’s wonderlic test play a role in his draft stock? The San Francisco 49ers took the Pro Bowl running back with the 65th overall pick in the third round of the 2005 draft. Gore has rushed for 14,026 yards and 77 touchdowns so far in his career.

RBs aren't really a position where Wonderlic merits scrutiny.  However,  if you look at the scores of all the successful QBs in recent times (ie ,  not 70s or 80s),  you will see that the good QBs score mid to high 20s.    There has been no successful QB that has scored in the teens.

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The more I think about this the more bizarre it becomes. How can the starting QB not know that they were bringing in a new Offense? Was he not in the facility at all or in touch with the team since the end of the season? This is the QB ffs. It has nothing to do with restrictions on coach-player communication. They just aren’t allowed to “talk football.” The playbook would likely be sitting in his locker - requires no illegal phone calls. It’s almost like he was either MIA and they couldn’t get ahold of him, or a big time fail from the team to prepare the QB. The last thing you want is him trying to think too much out there. 

It’s so ridiculous it makes me wonder if he was told to say this because they did actually talk a lot and they’ve been in trouble before for breaking the CBA rules. 

My thoughts nearly spot on when I first saw it. A definite screw up of sorts.

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The more I think about this the more bizarre it becomes. How can the starting QB not know that they were bringing in a new Offense? Was he not in the facility at all or in touch with the team since the end of the season? This is the QB ffs. It has nothing to do with restrictions on coach-player communication. They just aren’t allowed to “talk football.” The playbook would likely be sitting in his locker - requires no illegal phone calls. It’s almost like he was either MIA and they couldn’t get ahold of him, or a big time fail from the team to prepare the QB. The last thing you want is him trying to think too much out there. 

It’s so ridiculous it makes me wonder if he was told to say this because they did actually talk a lot and they’ve been in trouble before for breaking the CBA rules. 

It’s the sort of thing a second year NFL QB with a proper management team would be coached to NOT say in interviews/off the cuff remarks . Regardless of his supposed intellect or lack thereof. To me it speaks to a guy who isn’t being well prepared for the scrutiny a starting QB job.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe its a smoke screen to make opponents think he will be unprepared for games.  His mom thought of the strategy.  All while they have been sleeping in Romans basement.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, eball said:

The gist of the Wonderlic, with respect to QBs, is that a high score doesn’t necessarily predict success but a low score (i.e., under 15) is a pretty reliable predictor of failure (since the 90s, if memory serves).

If nothing else it just shows a lack of preparation. if you are trying to be a first round pick, why wouldnt you study your butt  off on a test that is readily available online? Its like applying to Harvard, but not bothering to taking a practice SAT test

On 5/27/2019 at 8:58 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

Because some media fawn over Jackson while calling Josh Allen a bust.

Wouldn’t it be great to see JA pass for over 4k, run for over 500 and have 28 TD’s to very minimal picks? I think he is gonna be our franchise guy and hope he shuts everyone up.

4 hours ago, BearNorth said:

Just saw this re: one of our newer players and the Wonderlic

RB - Frank Gore: 6 Wonderlic score

Did Frank Gore’s wonderlic test play a role in his draft stock? The San Francisco 49ers took the Pro Bowl running back with the 65th overall pick in the third round of the 2005 draft. Gore has rushed for 14,026 yards and 77 touchdowns so far in his career.

Wow thats bad!!! What was Travis Henry’s? That dude talked like he had marbles in his mouth.

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

Not at all a big deal for a lot of positions honestly.  From evaluating the NFL talent you can look at it and say - how many RBs/WRs/CBs etc. just straight up blow this off because they know it has 0 effect on them being drafted.  So that might skew data somewhat.  I don't think its super important for QBs either, but a 13 is a pretty terrible score.  You'd like to be somewhere near average at least.  Can't be a dumb QB in this league anymore.  

He's hard to understand honestly

Back in the day they didn't even try on the Wonderlic.  Guys fired spitballs at each other and f@#$ed around the whole time.

I believe it was around the time of Vince Young's draft and later Mo Claiborne when we really heard low Wonderlic's as a reason players draft stock decline.  Player's cannot afford to leave dollars on the table any longer by not taking the Wonderlic at least semi-seriously.

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

Wouldn’t it be great to see JA pass for over 4k, run for over 500 and have 28 TD’s to very minimal picks? I think he is gonna be our franchise guy and hope he shuts everyone up.

Didn't you hear Aaron Schatz take? If Allen is good it's only because of the players around him.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

There's three franchise guys: 1. Mayfield 2. Allen 3. Darnold. In that order. No faith in the rest.

Allen and Darnold still have A LOT to prove to be considered franchise QB's

if both don't make huge strides this season it's going to be a massive uphill battle. I'd only consider Baker a franchise guy right now bc he is significantly better than the rest. 

1 minute ago, XABI64 said:

Allen and Darnold still have A LOT to prove to be considered franchise QB's

if both don't make huge strides this season it's going to be a massive uphill battle. I'd only consider Baker a franchise guy right now bc he is significantly better than the rest. 

They need to show more, sure, absolutely. I'm just encouraged by their college tape and first year trajectory. Darnold and Allen will be good. Baker will win Super Bowls.

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Back in the day they didn't even try on the Wonderlic.  Guys fired spitballs at each other and f@#$ed around the whole time.

I believe it was around the time of Vince Young's draft and later Mo Claiborne when we really heard low Wonderlic's as a reason players draft stock decline.  Player's cannot afford to leave dollars on the table any longer by not taking the Wonderlic at least semi-seriously.

yeah - i just think its a bigger thing with QBs.  For others if you're in the like realm of average nobody cares.

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Only thing I can think of is if Roman unofficially took over when they made the switch to Lamar. Then I could see how he feels it isn't really changing much.

I think at this point, Allen is a lot closer to Jackson than Brady.  That said, I trust Allen to prepare and learn nfl’s playbooks more than Jackson.  I had them both ranked similarly in their draft and then Jackson started posting videos of him driving 100 mph.  Questionable decision making at best. 

4 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

They need to show more, sure, absolutely. I'm just encouraged by their college tape and first year trajectory. Darnold and Allen will be good. Baker will win Super Bowls.

I don't understand what someone gets out of making declarations like this. 

3 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Oh I did- another sad excuse for “journalism”

He's not a journalist... when will thi board stop with that crap. Aaron Schatz has never claimed to be a journalist, and even if he did, whether Allen is good or not is an opinion.

What is the point you're trying to make?

6 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I don't understand what someone gets out of making declarations like this. 

He's not a journalist... when will thi board stop with that crap. Aaron Schatz has never claimed to be a journalist, and even if he did, whether Allen is good or not is an opinion.

What is the point you're trying to make?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/journalism

Nice try bro