What's on the Memorial Day Cookout Menu?

Gugny

10 minutes ago, BigMcD said:

Smoked brisket and ribs. 4 deep fried turkeys (fries and slaw) Seafood boil and a bunch of sides. 36 people. Rented a 3 tap keg machine that was the hit of the day!  Great day! 

That’s a few dozen very hungry and thirsty people! 

A nice Lowcountry Bowl is a rite of summer. We have a trip planned to Hilton Head Island next month. It was supposed to be “only” 7 of us. Turns out the wife’s brother (who I like) is there the exact same week with their kids and his wife’s whole family in two big houses. He then invited their (annoying) sister to join so we’d have the whole gang!  YAY! She was at our trip to the Bahamas just a few weeks ago (wedding). We are all within a one minute walk of each other. What a wonderful coincidence! This little vacation I was looking forward to (with son, his lovely GF, her awesome parents and our adorable 5 year old grandson from Nashvile), has turned into a friggin’ family reunion with dozens of people! I am NOT pleased!

But I digress.  Our kids were born in Hilton Head, and oyster roasts and Lowcountry Boils were a great part of that time in our lives. I was just looking on line to decide which place to make this happen on this trip. Part of me wants to stay home......the best laid plans....

Thank you, this is far cheaper than therapy.   ?

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

That’s a few dozen very hungry and thirsty people! 

A nice Lowcountry Bowl is a rite of summer. We have a trip planned to Hilton Head Island next month. It was supposed to be “only” 7 of us. Turns out the wife’s brother (who I like) is there the exact same week with their kids and his wife’s whole family in two big houses. He then invited their (annoying) sister to join so we’d have the whole gang!  YAY! She was at our trip to the Bahamas just a few weeks ago (wedding). We are all within a one minute walk of each other. What a wonderful coincidence! This little vacation I was looking forward to (with son, his lovely GF, her awesome parents and our adorable 5 year old grandson from Nashvile), has turned into a friggin’ family reunion with dozens of people! I am NOT pleased!

But I digress.  Our kids were born in Hilton Head, and oyster roasts and Lowcountry Boils were a great part of that time in our lives. I was just looking on line to decide which place to make this happen on this trip. Part of me wants to stay home......the best laid plans....

Thank you, this is far cheaper than therapy.   ?

Yeah, large groups have their downfalls, but still so worth it! Enjoy the people you enjoy! 

We sent people home with “care packages” and we are still going to be eating leftovers for ever! 

I will work on the kegs myself! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Dim sum in Chinatown this morning  Followed by rolled ice cream and then a trip to the Chinese bakery for all kinds of treats to take home. Like BBQ pork in some kind of dough, etc...  

http://www.cqbakery.com

I must be a Communist.  LoL...

You don't say

• Haha (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I live in Chicago now and I miss Buffalo food. My sister and law brought over hot dogs,chicken and Italian beef...which is delicious. What I would do right now for a Wny steak sub!

"The combo" is my go to when ordering Italian beef.  Italian Beef w/a link of Italian sausage, mozzarella with peppers, giardiniera... The works done: "Wet." "Dipped" will do but gets too soggy.

I would put that in the League of any WNY steak or royal sub!

Wet w/mozzarella:

P1020864.JPG

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

"The combo" is my go to when ordering Italian beef.  Italian Beef w/a link of Italian sausage, mozzarella with peppers, giardiniera... The works done: "Wet." "Dipped" will do but gets too soggy.

I would put that in the League of any WNY steak or royal sub!

Yes...Portillo's. Another place is Buono Beef. The hot dogs here rule over Sahlens! One place that I miss is Viola' s in Niagara Falls...excellent steak sub!

What about chip dip? It is hard to find anything like Bison. I make my own with Lipton Onion soup mix and sour cream.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Yes...Portillo's. Another place is Buono Beef. The hot dogs here rule over Sahlens! One place that I miss is Viola' s in Niagara Falls...excellent steak sub!

What about chip dip? It is hard to find anything like Bison. I make my own with Lipton Onion soup mix and sour cream.

They do sell Helluva @ Jewel.  On an off.  Helluva, IMO, is exactly like Bison.  Anything sour cream based is.  NOT sure why they sell the God awful whey based crap.

I know we will catch flak... But all beef kosher dogs here are best.  I like Sahlen's but not as good.

I import Weber's in when I make trips to BFLo.  Got people here hooked on that shi... LoL...

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

They do sell Helluva @ Jewel.  On an off.  Helluva, IMO, is exactly like Bison.  Anything sour cream based is.  NOT sure why they sell the God awful whey based crap.

I know we will catch flak... But all beef kosher dogs here are best.  I like Sahlen's but not as good.

I import Weber's in when I make trips to BFLo.  Got people here hooked on that shi... LoL...

I think Helluva is the same as Bison... look at where its made. Funny you mention Webers, I'm opening the 2nd to last jar in around 20 minutes.

Sahlens dogs are excellent, just not the cheapo "smokehouse" version... natural casing or nothing.

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I hear you! They sell a brand called Vienna Hot Dogs...man they are good. When I visit home, I go to Dicamillo's Bakery or try to get my hands on Al Cohen's bread. 

3 minutes ago, T&C said:

I think Helluva is the same as Bison... look at where its made. Funny you mention Webers, I'm opening the 2nd to last jar in around 20 minutes.

Sahlens dogs are excellent, just not the cheapo "smokehouse" version... natural casing or nothing.

Yeah...Helluva is good too!

3 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I hear you! They sell a brand called Vienna Hot Dogs...man they are good. When I visit home, I go to Dicamillo's Bakery or try to get my hands on Al Cohen's bread. 

Wardynski's too!

59 minutes ago, T&C said:

It's gotta be sour cream based.  Anything with sour cream base will taste the same.  Dean's for a while sold sour cream based dip here... Tasted same as Bison/Helluva.  Dean Foods I think is now base out of here in Illinois (Franklin Park).

1 hour ago, Rocket94 said:

Wardynski's too!

Best's Kosher were, IMO, the best.  Used to sell @ Sox Park... I think they went under.

Try: Red Hot Chicago

https://www.redhotchicago.com

Only thing Chicago Dogs and Polish are missing is a horseradish based mustard like Weber's... IMO...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Best's Kosher were, IMO, the best.  Used to sell @ Sox Park... I think they went under.

Try: Red Hot Chicago

https://www.redhotchicago.com

Only thing Chicago Dogs and Pokish are missing is a horseradish based mustard like Weber's... IMO...

Yes...only one Webers! Also there is an Italian joint on I believe Northwestern...Anthonys? Good stuff...Buffalo like.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, chknwing334 said:

lw3qtxi.jpg

Awesome! Looks delicious! 

My dog left me something resembling the top left after breakfast yesterday. I let her out after eating, and there’s this one weed she eats that.....leads to something resembling that. Always on the damn carpet! 

• Haha (+1) 1

....non traditional surf 'n turf......grilled flank steak in a teriyaki & marsala wine sauce....fresh Cod French.....sauteed mushrooms with pancetta and butter wine sauce......grilled asparagus & brussell sprouts marinated in olive oil and balsamic vinegar......haven't figured out dinner yet.............

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's gotta be sour cream based.  Anything with sour cream base will taste the same.  Dean's for a while sold sour cream based dip here... Tasted same as Bison/Helluva.  Dean Foods I think is now base out of here in Illinois (Franklin Park).

Have never tried Deans but Helluva is made in Arkport, New York... honestly can't tell the difference between Bison and Helluva. Not sure if Deans is sold in Florida but I'll keep an eye out at Publix.

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....non traditional surf 'n turf......grilled flank steak in a teriyaki & marsala wine sauce....fresh Cod French.....sauteed mushrooms with pancetta and butter wine sauce......grilled asparagus & brussell sprouts marinated in olive oil and balsamic vinegar......haven't figured out dinner yet.............

What restaurant are you at?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, T&C said:

Have never tried Deans but Helluva is made in Arkport, New York... honestly can't tell the difference between Bison and Helluva. Not sure if Deans is sold in Florida but I'll keep an eye out at Publix.

What restaurant are you at?

...LMAO...."The Old Farts Diner" at the entrance to Flavortown......:thumbsup: