What's on the Memorial Day Cookout Menu?

Gugny

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Oysters on the half shell

soft shells 2 ways...fried and sauteed.

Grilled vegetable Panzarella salad.

key lime pie

I went to school w Ruthann Panzarella.

Your food choices seem a bit hoity toity. Now I know why you don’t mix with the common folk at tailgates.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Your food choices seem a bit hoity toity. Now I know why you don’t mix with the common folk at tailgates.

Too freaking hot to eat meat! Oysters ..pays to know someone who knows someone who knows the owners of the best oyster farms on the Bay.

Softshells in season now..gotta have em !  Not  too expensive in season, certainly cheaper than a choice Ribeye. ( if ya want to sound  like a local, call em peelers!)

And judging by your physique, you have never seen a vegetable, let alone put on on a grill!

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Too freaking hot to eat meat! Oysters ..pays to know someone who knows someone who knows the owners of the best oyster farms on the Bay.

Softshells in season now..gotta have em !  Not  too expensive in season, certainly cheaper than a choice Ribeye. ( if ya want to sound  like a local, call em peelers!)

And judging by your physique, you have never seen a vegetable, let alone put on on a grill!

I love vegetables, just not enough!?

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Yeah it's all just a bit frou frou for me.

All of our friends are out of town. Yes, both couples! Wife flies out tomorrow so cookout is NOW. Just pulled my Sahlens dogs off the grill. The Mrs wouldn’t roll with that, so she can wait for her chicken to be done. I like to cook a lot more than she likes to eat. 

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Oysters on the half shell

soft shells 2 ways...fried and sauteed.

Grilled vegetable Panzarella salad.

key lime pie

Fell in love with oysters during my time in the SC Lowcountry. Nothing like an oyster roast with friends and giant coolers! 

Soft shell crabs may be where I learned to enjoy cooking. Went to an event where each table of 8 or so had a little burner and they demonstrated how to make soft shell crabs up front while we followed along. I didn’t realize it was possible to make anything that good! Restaurant food isn’t magic! 

Son’s GF is vegetarian so we are more into veggies than ever. Bobby Flay’s Greek chicken (with or without the chicken) has always been a big hit with everyone. 

Key lime has to be tart. The wife will always ask if it’s tart or sweet. You an see them trying to guess the right answer. If it’s sweet, she stops at the first bite. 

Nice summer menu! What can I bring? 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Augie said:

Fell in love with oysters during my time in the SC Lowcountry. Nothing like an oyster roast with friends and giant coolers! 

Soft shell crabs may be where I learned to enjoy cooking. Went to an event where each table of 8 or so had a little burner and they demonstrated how to make soft shell crabs up front while we followed along. I didn’t realize it was possible to make anything that good! Restaurant food isn’t magic! 

Son’s GF is vegetarian so we are more into veggies than ever. Bobby Flay’s Greek chicken (with or without the chicken) has always been a big hit with everyone. 

Key lime has to be tart. The wife will always ask if it’s tart or sweet. You an see them trying to guess the right answer. If it’s sweet, she stops at the first bite. 

Nice summer menu! What can I bring? 

if you promise to bring something and leave, we could have used some Rockfish for ceviche..but restrictions this year  due to some population issues so we laying off eating till at least the fall

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Yeah it's all just a bit frou frou for me.

a fried bug is frou-frou? Eating a raw , wonderfully slimy and briny Old Salt with just a little lemon juice on top is frou-frou? Mixing some grilled vegetable with day-old bread bits? 

Easy, fast, and all delicious in freaking hot weather!

12 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

if you promise to bring something and leave, we could have used some Rockfish for ceviche..but restrictions this year  due to some population issues so we laying off eating till at least the fall

I promise to bring something, and I promise to leave. It’s the years in between those two events that you have to worry about. 

• Haha (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

a fried bug is frou-frou? Eating a raw , wonderfully slimy and briny Old Salt with just a little lemon juice on top is frou-frou? Mixing some grilled vegetable with day-old bread bits? 

Easy, fast, and all delicious in freaking hot weather!

Ain't the crabs and oysters I'm taking exception to ?

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

Well, if he ever shows himself & admits it you're in for a treat.

(great tailgate wings and that's the only nice thing I'll say about him)

Ehh, he forgot the butter last time....getting old I think. Slipping a bit. Damn near my age....what do you expect? 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Spit happens.

I’ve got to admit, even without the butter.....they were excellent wings. Despite how I hate to give him a big head.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1