RIP Bart Starr

Beast

10 hours ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

someone (Jerry Kramer?) blocked "massive Jethro Pugh", allowing Starr to score.

Kramer left early.

Parties from both sides agree that Kramer's biggest contribution to history was that he jumped offside on the play, but it was never called.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1996-01-09-sp-22526-story.html

9 hours ago, Rico said:

Hard to believe they kept him as HC for 9 seasons from 1975 to 1983 though... part of the dark age of Packers football.

Still, one of the greatest champion QBs ever.

They had Lynn Dickey who wasn't too shabby (journeyman, ints a prob) @ QB.  BUT, this was the 'roid era in NFL.  Pack was probably clean.

Old School Football...RIP #15.  That era was before my time but as a kid who fell in love with football and the NFL in the 90's I enjoyed learning about the history of the sport and I was very familiar with Bart Starr and Lombardi's Packers. 

They had a really nice special yesterday on NFLR with some excellent interviews including James Lofton as Starr was his first Head Coach in GB.  Such nice stories about him on and off the field.  I learned yesterday, he was one of the first QB’s to call audibles at the line of scrimmage and amazing a controlling and legendary coach in Lombardi allowing to do it.  Says a lot about his confidence in Starr’s judgement.

Now two of the great legends are gone in Unitas and now Starr.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

They had a really nice special yesterday on NFLR with some excellent interviews including James Lofton as Starr was his first Head Coach in GB.  Such nice stories about him on and off the field.  I learned yesterday, he was one of the first QB’s to call audibles at the line of scrimmage and amazing a controlling and legendary coach in Lombardi allowing to do it.  Says a lot about his confidence in Starr’s judgement.

Now two of the great legends are gone in Unitas and now Starr.

...GREAT find and accolade my friend.....two truly ambassadors of the game.....being a stubborn old school crustacean, it STILL bugs me when some of the recent QB draftees have zero respect for the game or legends like these two who paved the way for them...they played for a pittance (Note: Bflo's own Billy Shaw took time off from mixing cement to play "G" for a whopping 18 grand a year in the 60's) paving the way for mega million dollar deals....an aside is our very own Josh Allen.....humility, respect and leadership rolled into one.....

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

I'd say Bart Starr was my first NFL Films memory.......if you are of a certain age and watched the great Sabol-hosted episodes from the 80's, those Packer films were simply untouchable.

now I miss John Facenda as well.....

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/26/2019 at 3:14 PM, Chandler#81 said:

One of my earliest childhood hero’s. Growing up in the 60’s, the Packers were on Buffalo tv often, because they were great and Starr was King Cool. I bought his paperback book from the school book club, read it many times. More than a legendary player, he was a truly genuine person. 

Rest In Peace, Bart. Thank you for the memories.

I bought that book in grade school too. Loved it so much I found and bought a used copy about 10 years ago

AF2D276A-C9B9-468F-A646-B1C499F16BB3.jpeg

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

I bought that book in grade school too. Loved it so much I found and bought a used copy about 10 years ago

AF2D276A-C9B9-468F-A646-B1C499F16BB3.jpeg

Ha! the white ball with the black stripe! I actually thought that was only an AFL thing. My kids would think that was as strange as a red/while/blue basketball. 

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2019 at 4:35 PM, JimmyNoodles said:

I loved that book and I loved the Packers in those days.  One of the best football books ever written.  Very sad about Starr but very happy Kramer made it into the HOF.  He was long overdue.  

As did I.  My father bought it for me for Christmas.

I was listening to ESPN the day he passed and I think it was Bill Curry who told this story, of a time when Starr was coaching Packers and they were having a coaching meeting in his home one evening, and there was a knock at the door.   It was a guy who's father was dying and he wanted to ask if Bart would be willing autograph a piece of paper for his father, who was literally on his last leg.  Apparently the father was a huge fan and the son was so apologetic and that if Bart would just sign it, he'd be so greatful and would get out of their hair and be on his way. 

Bart immediately asked him where is father was, and when the son told him that he was actually out in the car in the driveway, Bart went straight out to the car, and invited the man into his home, gave him a tour of his trophy room and showed him the Superbowl rings and just spent maybe 15-20 minutes with him.  After he guy left, he went back to conducting the meeting like no big deal.  He was very emotional telling that story and said that just the way Bart was, at all times.

I loved also hearing that Bart literally wrote and mailed Bret Favre a handwritten letter after every game he played for the packers, win or lose:

"There wasn't a game where I didn't get a letter from him, whether it be complimenting me on how I played or the fact that we won, or, 'Keep your chin up. It will get better.'" Favre said. "You think about the games that I played - that's a lot of games to get a personal note from Bart each and every time. I'm not going to lie, it made me feel pretty special. Maybe he sent it to everyone I don't know, but that just kind of tells you the type of guy that Bart was."

A gentleman from another era for sure.

• Like (+1) 2