RIP Bart Starr

Beast

I “met” Bart Starr as a boy reading “Instant Replay” by Jerry Kramer.  Imagine those titans to a nine year old.  Starr was a Brooks Brothers navy blue blazer on that checkered plaid team of all stars and hall of famers.  Flustered, one day, in the huddle and with all eyes on him, he told a teammate what he thought of him.  He finished with “... and stick THAT in your diddy bag!”.   Starr couldn’t curse, yet he never lost the room with the biggest and baddest.  It was a different time, and I’m grateful it formed me.  Rest In Peace, Mr. Starr.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 5

One of my earliest childhood hero’s. Growing up in the 60’s, the Packers were on Buffalo tv often, because they were great and Starr was King Cool. I bought his paperback book from the school book club, read it many times. More than a legendary player, he was a truly genuine person. 

Rest In Peace, Bart. Thank you for the memories.

• Like (+1) 4

...sorry to be repetitious, but I'm going to do it anyway in deference to Starr....he ventured into the unknown world of stem cell research after his stroke for treatments....in his passing, I truly hope something was learned medically to help similar others going forward so his legacy can be a blend of "football's finest and a medical pioneer for others"...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

I recall Starr scored the winning TD on a QB sneak after someone (Jerry Kramer?) blocked "massive Jethro Pugh", allowing Starr to score.

That block may have put Jerry Kramer in the Hall of Fame, although he generally deserved it -- I think he just went in last summer.  That was the famous Ice Bowl NFL Championship game before Super Bowl II (pre-merger when the AFL was still operating) and I feel ancient because I remember it.

RIP Bart Starr.  All you ever heard was how much class he had.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Ennjay said:

That block may have put Jerry Kramer in the Hall of Fame, although he generally deserved it -- I think he just went in last summer.  That was the famous Ice Bowl NFL Championship game before Super Bowl II (pre-merger when the AFL was still operating) and I feel ancient because I remember it.

RIP Bart Starr.  All you ever heard was how much class he had.

One of the Packers linemen moved early. Not sure if it was Kramer or not.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Neo said:

I “met” Bart Starr as a boy reading “Instant Replay” by Jerry Kramer.  Imagine those and other titans to a nine year old.  Starr was a Brooks Brothers navy blue blazer on that checkered plaid team of all stars and hall of famers.  Flustered, one day, in the huddle and with all eyes on him, he told a teammate what he thought of him.  He finished with “... and stick THAT in your diddy bag!”.   Starr couldn’t curse, yet he never lost the room with the biggest and baddest.  It was a different time, and I’m grateful it formed me.  Rest In Peace, Mr. Starr.

I loved that book and I loved the Packers in those days.  One of the best football books ever written.  Very sad about Starr but very happy Kramer made it into the HOF.  He was long overdue.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Neo said:

I “met” Bart Starr as a boy reading “Instant Replay” by Jerry Kramer.  Imagine those and other titans to a nine year old.  Starr was a Brooks Brothers navy blue blazer on that checkered plaid team of all stars and hall of famers.  Flustered, one day, in the huddle and with all eyes on him, he told a teammate what he thought of him.  He finished with “... and stick THAT in your diddy bag!”.   Starr couldn’t curse, yet he never lost the room with the biggest and baddest.  It was a different time, and I’m grateful it formed me.  Rest In Peace, Mr. Starr.

Are you the Neo that posts over on the Sabres' forum? I just lurk there, but if you're that fella, I like reading your posts.

Starr was a gentleman and a star qb. Think our guy can be that kind of qb.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Are you the Neo that posts over on the Sabres' forum? I just lurk there, but if you're that fella, I like reading your posts.

Starr was a gentleman and a star qb. Think our guy can be that kind of qb.

I am!  Don’t just lurk ...

Edited by Neo
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

I'd say Bart Starr was my first NFL Films memory.......if you are of a certain age and watched the great Sabol-hosted episodes from the 80's, those Packer films were simply untouchable.

He certainly was one of my first NFL Films memories. Particularly "The Ice Bowl".

RIP

• Like (+1) 1