RIP Bart Starr

Beast

19 minutes ago, TPS said:

?

My dad was a huge Packer fan, born in Wisconsin. I remember watching some legendary nfl championship games between the Starr-led Pack against the Dallas Cowboys. 

RIP Bart.  I didn't see the Packers/Cowboys championship games but enjoyed watching the Steve Sabol narrated films as a kid in the 70's.  I recall Starr scored the winning TD on a QB sneak after someone (Jerry Kramer?) blocked "massive Jethro Pugh", allowing Starr to score.

Edited by Haslett_Stomp
  • Like (+1) 1

One of the greats, in every way.  Every man wanted his son to be like Bart Starr.  A winner and a gentleman. 

5 minutes ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

Tough day in the NFL today. Prayers to his family.

Our thoughts are with you and all Packer fans. 

• Like (+1) 1

We only see a rare highlight and the playoff wins. Does anyone know if he was a good QB? I get the leader stuff but virtually the entire O-line and backfield is in the HOF.  I don't recall Starr being mentioned as a passer in the same era as say Unitas or Dawson. 

I am not trying to create controversy, just asking if people know how good of a QB he was?

51 minutes ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

RIP Bart.  I didn't see the Packers/Cowboys championship games but enjoyed watching the Steve Sabol narrated films as a kid in the 70's.  I recall Starr scored the winning TD on a QB sneak after someone (Jerry Kramer?) blocked "massive Jethro Pugh", allowing Starr to score.

I almost mentioned that play—memorable!

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

We only see a rare highlight and the playoff wins. Does anyone know if he was a good QB? I get the leader stuff but virtually the entire O-line and backfield is in the HOF.  I don't recall Starr being mentioned as a passer in the same era as say Unitas or Dawson. 

I am not trying to create controversy, just asking if people know how good of a QB he was?

I’d say comparable to Montana: not known for their arms, rather their smarts and clutch play. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, TPS said:

I’d say comparable to Montana: not known for their arms, rather their smarts and clutch play. 

...damn good comparison bud......WELL done............:thumbsup:

...hopefully some of Bart's decisions to try stem cell research benefit others whose options for quality of life limitations can pay dividends which he underwent after his stroke.......

26 minutes ago, TPS said:

Bart was pretty good at the 2nd and inches bomb.

He was my favorite player as a kid.  I drew a picture of him playing football and my uncle told me to send it to him, so I did. He wrote a brief note back along with two signed 8x10 glossies. Great, great guy. Condolences to his family.

• Like (+1) 5

55 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....poor man has been through a ton with his stroke.......an unforgettable legend......RIP Bart and thanks for the memories....

Like Jack Kemp, a winning QB in an era when class and character were just as important as talent! 

• Like (+1) 4