Happy Memorial Day to all that served.Remembering former Buffalo Bill Bob Kalsu

honoring those who have served, fallen and given the ultimate sacrifice is a painful reminder on Memorial Day with our never ending thanks and recognition....then to read crap like this where others shall decide WHO WILL SACRIFICE is depressingly beyond human comprehension...SMH...God help us.........

Chicago shootings: More than 34 shot – 5 fatally – during Memorial Day weekend: police

By Bradford Betz | Fox News

2 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

So you dont wish those that havent served to have a happy Memorial Day.?

It's the one holiday that allowed us to be free, to celebrate all the others.  It's not something that's necessarily "happy," but yes, it's about those who served and more importantly, it's about those, and the families of those, who served, and didn't make it home.

I have been remembering since I read that article the day it hit my desk back in ‘01. I promptly purchased an away Jersey with his name and number because of his selfless commitment to everything and everyone. In no real order, but Family, Football, Country, his  Brothers on that hill. I have said for years he should be on the Wall at New Era. He may not have the yards, tackles, throws the others do but none of them combined gave as much as he did. Thanks Bob Kalsu! 

BTW I chose an away jersey since he didn’t make it home. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, iinii said:

I have been remembering since I read that article the day it hit my desk back in ‘01. I promptly purchased an away Jersey with his name and number because of his selfless commitment to everything and everyone. In no real order, but Family, Football, Country, his  Brothers on that hill. I have said for years he should be on the Wall at New Era. He may not have the yards, tackles, throws the others do but none of them combined gave as much as he did. Thanks Bob Kalsu! 

I thought he was.

2 hours ago, iinii said:

Nicely said iinii!

5 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

It's the one holiday that allowed us to be free, to celebrate all the others.  It's not something that's necessarily "happy," but yes, it's about those who served and more importantly, it's about those, and the families of those, who served, and didn't make it home.

Well I had a happy memorial day in spite of you.  But yes that was exactly my point.  Notice the emoji.  Its not really a happy holiday type if holiday but one more of appreciation.  Its actually about those who died in service.  Veterans day though not less important is about all those who served.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

19 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Well I had a happy memorial day in spite of you.  But yes that was exactly my point.  Notice the emoji.  Its not really a happy holiday type if holiday but one more of appreciation.  Its actually about those who died in service.  Veterans day though not less important is about all those who served.

In spite of me??:doh:

Well, we celebrate Memorial Day in my family...  usually - like today - with a family barbecue.  I think those who sacrificed themselves would be pleased that we're honoring them with family celebrations.  

But I make it a habit of telling my wife and kids a different story each Memorial Day about a member of the Armed Forces who didn't make it home.  One year, with weepy eyes, I told them the story of Bob Kalsu.  

Happy Memorial Day to all.  RIP, Bob Kalsu.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Man, that is one sad story.  I have a really hard time resolving the conflict between upholding one's commitment to the military vs. upholding one's commitment to family.  We praise guys like Kalsu for honoring their military commitment and their integrity, but what about the commitment to his wife with a young child and another on the way?  It becomes even more blurred when you look at the particular military commitment involved -- a senseless war that accomplished nothing.

There are no easy answers here -- I'm sure many agree wholeheartedly with what Kalsu did, while others have the same struggle I'm dealing with.  I am not a "military" guy so in many respects I'm just living off the fruits of others' labor -- perhaps that disqualifies me from commenting.

But it's sad.

• Like (+1) 1