Happy Memorial Day to all that served.Remembering former Buffalo Bill Bob Kalsu

A Name On The Wall: Football player Bob Kalsu was the only U.S. pro athlete to die in Vietnam

In honor of Sports Illustrated's 60th anniversary, SI.com is republishing, in full, 60 of the best stories ever to run in the magazine. Today's selection is "A Name On The Wall," by William Nack. It is the story of Bob Kalsu, an All-America offensive lineman at Oklahoma who chose to go to Vietnam after his rookie season with the Buffalo Bills. It was originally published in the July 23, 2001 issue of SI.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/04/name-wall-si-60-william-nack-bob-kalsu

Image result for bob kalsu

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 9

Just now, loyal2dagame said:

From one veteran to all veterans,  thank you for serving.

And for my brothers and sisters that made the ultimate sacrifice- I'll never forget, or take for granted, what I am able to enjoy because of you. 

dc6eee8a89442b2c7a03b3b4ad33e4eb.jpg

...thank you for YOUR service as well friend.....Godspeed with my salute to you...:thumbsup:.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

There is a memorial to him on Fort Campbell, Kentucky - he is remembered!

1 hour ago, bilzfancy said:

A true American hero, as were all my brothers who fought in that God forsaken war and others. A big salute to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice 

Thank you!

House - Nice call.  It’s sad as we lost a number of NFL players in WW2 and Korea, and Bob in Vietnam.  As mentioned every time I speak to a veteran, thanks to all of you for you’re service.  We live in a free country with all it’s faults is the greatest country in the world, and in no small part due to all of you.

My middle son just dropped on me, he may enter the military first before going to college, and told him I couldn’t be more proud of him.  My father and all of my uncles were in Korea and Vietnam, and grandfather in WW2.  To all of you TBD Vets.  The rest of us salute you and for the sacrifices you went through during you’re time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 hours ago, HOUSE said:

A Name On The Wall: Football player Bob Kalsu was the only U.S. pro athlete to die in Vietnam

In honor of Sports Illustrated's 60th anniversary, SI.com is republishing, in full, 60 of the best stories ever to run in the magazine. Today's selection is "A Name On The Wall," by William Nack. It is the story of Bob Kalsu, an All-America offensive lineman at Oklahoma who chose to go to Vietnam after his rookie season with the Buffalo Bills. It was originally published in the July 23, 2001 issue of SI.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/04/name-wall-si-60-william-nack-bob-kalsu

Image result for bob kalsu

I actually was stationed at a FOB in Iraq named after this gentleman. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_Operating_Base_Kalsu

Irregardless, we should all not forget that today is not Veterans Day, it is Memorial Day. It is not a celebration, but a day to acknowledge, remember and honor those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while performing their warrior tasks and drills in service to our great country. While sipping a beer, turning over ribs on the barbie, or enjoying the company of loved ones, we should all take a moment, just a moment, to remember those who did not get to come home to enjoy the great country we all now get to enjoy.

IMG_0153.jpg

• Awesome! (+1) 1