Jump to content
HOUSE

Happy Memorial Day to all that served.Remembering former Buffalo Bill Bob Kalsu

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

 

A Name On The Wall: Football player Bob Kalsu was the only U.S. pro athlete to die in Vietnam

In honor of Sports Illustrated's 60th anniversary, SI.com is republishing, in full, 60 of the best stories ever to run in the magazine. Today's selection is "A Name On The Wall," by William Nack. It is the story of Bob Kalsu, an All-America offensive lineman at Oklahoma who chose to go to Vietnam after his rookie season with the Buffalo Bills. It was originally published in the July 23, 2001 issue of SI.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/04/name-wall-si-60-william-nack-bob-kalsu

 

Image result for bob kalsu

 

 

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was very well-written.  Thanks for sharing.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...nice find HOUSE.....this weekend is not possible without him and brethren who served and /or paid the ultimate sacrifice.....:thumbsup:

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent find! A dark time in our history and the ultimate sacrifice by this young man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From one veteran to all veterans,  thank you for serving.

And for my brothers and sisters that made the ultimate sacrifice- I'll never forget, or take for granted, what I am able to enjoy because of you. 

dc6eee8a89442b2c7a03b3b4ad33e4eb.jpg

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, loyal2dagame said:

From one veteran to all veterans,  thank you for serving.

And for my brothers and sisters that made the ultimate sacrifice- I'll never forget, or take for granted, what I am able to enjoy because of you. 

dc6eee8a89442b2c7a03b3b4ad33e4eb.jpg

 

...thank you for YOUR service as well friend.....Godspeed with my salute to you...:thumbsup:.....

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great read. Thanks.

 

I like this lighthearted bit:

 

Quote

Diane wondered why he wasn't using a wooden spoon. "The box says mix by hand," he said.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A true American hero, as were all my brothers who fought in that God forsaken war and others. A big salute to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a memorial to him on Fort Campbell, Kentucky - he is remembered!

1 hour ago, bilzfancy said:

A true American hero, as were all my brothers who fought in that God forsaken war and others. A big salute to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

House - Nice call.  It’s sad as we lost a number of NFL players in WW2 and Korea, and Bob in Vietnam.  As mentioned every time I speak to a veteran, thanks to all of you for you’re service.  We live in a free country with all it’s faults is the greatest country in the world, and in no small part due to all of you.

 

My middle son just dropped on me, he may enter the military first before going to college, and told him I couldn’t be more proud of him.  My father and all of my uncles were in Korea and Vietnam, and grandfather in WW2.  To all of you TBD Vets.  The rest of us salute you and for the sacrifices you went through during you’re time.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Pat Tillman

Image result for bob kalsu

...great find and remembrance HOUSE........

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, HOUSE said:

 

A Name On The Wall: Football player Bob Kalsu was the only U.S. pro athlete to die in Vietnam

In honor of Sports Illustrated's 60th anniversary, SI.com is republishing, in full, 60 of the best stories ever to run in the magazine. Today's selection is "A Name On The Wall," by William Nack. It is the story of Bob Kalsu, an All-America offensive lineman at Oklahoma who chose to go to Vietnam after his rookie season with the Buffalo Bills. It was originally published in the July 23, 2001 issue of SI.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/04/name-wall-si-60-william-nack-bob-kalsu

 

Image result for bob kalsu

 

 

I actually was stationed at a FOB in Iraq named after this gentleman. 

 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_Operating_Base_Kalsu

 

Irregardless, we should all not forget that today is not Veterans Day, it is Memorial Day. It is not a celebration, but a day to acknowledge, remember and honor those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while performing their warrior tasks and drills in service to our great country. While sipping a beer, turning over ribs on the barbie, or enjoying the company of loved ones, we should all take a moment, just a moment, to remember those who did not get to come home to enjoy the great country we all now get to enjoy.

IMG_0153.jpg

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

honoring those who have served, fallen and given the ultimate sacrifice is a painful reminder on Memorial Day with our never ending thanks and recognition....then to read crap like this where others shall decide WHO WILL SACRIFICE is depressingly beyond human comprehension...SMH...God help us.........

 

 

Chicago shootings: More than 34 shot – 5 fatally – during Memorial Day weekend: police

By Bradford Betz | Fox News

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So you dont wish those that havent served to have a happy Memorial Day.😎

Edited by formerlyofCtown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

So you dont wish those that havent served to have a happy Memorial Day.😎

It's the one holiday that allowed us to be free, to celebrate all the others.  It's not something that's necessarily "happy," but yes, it's about those who served and more importantly, it's about those, and the families of those, who served, and didn't make it home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been remembering since I read that article the day it hit my desk back in ‘01. I promptly purchased an away Jersey with his name and number because of his selfless commitment to everything and everyone. In no real order, but Family, Football, Country, his  Brothers on that hill. I have said for years he should be on the Wall at New Era. He may not have the yards, tackles, throws the others do but none of them combined gave as much as he did. Thanks Bob Kalsu! 

BTW I chose an away jersey since he didn’t make it home. 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...