ROCKPILE REVIEW - The Hopeless Optimist

31 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I don't see it as cheap at all. I see no reason why we, as fans, should not feel free to critique any element of the team-- be it coaching, personnel decisions, or what have you. But, especially the way the QB situation was handled last season. It was far more than simply cutting AJ. Many fans were screaming about the decision to start Peterman as it was happening. Several fans (I believe Kirby was one of them?) predicted how opposing teams would game plan for him, and it happened with startling accuracy. 

I get what Shaw66 is selling, and I agree with it. But, the QB management last season is the one thing that gives me pause. Because, it wasn't one mistake. It was a series of mistakes that started in TC, and stretched into midseason. That isn't a cheap observation, IMO.

Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat

We started the season with Peterman and ended with a more experienced Allen. ( Barkley as an upgrade at Backup).

...Rocky take off...

...better landing... 

6 minutes ago, Figster said:

Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat

We started the season with Peterman and ended with a more experienced Allen. ( Barkley as an upgrade at Backup).

...Rocky take off...

...better landing... 

Again?

Yeah, I know I'm being kind of a downer...

38 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Again?

Yeah, I know I'm being kind of a downer...

Mistakes have been made, but the regime rebounded nicely IMO, McD took the brunt of the blame on the chin. Neglecting the Oline is probably a mistake many young GM's learn the hard way on. Without Beane we may not have Allen. Something I think we will all be forever grateful. The Bills just had what looks to be another good draft, along with some nice work done via FA.  

Its all good Rocky... 

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Much of what you say is

Much of what you say about the future is true.  Anything could happen.   

Some of what you say, again, is irrelevant.  Sean McVay is irrelevant.   Comparisons between McDermott and any one at this point in time have NOTHING to do with what I'm talking about.   I predicted that the Bills are on their way to a great run, and whatever anyone thinks about anyone else is simply irrelevant.  

You could of course be right about McDermott's future, but what you describe is completely inconsistent with his history.   This is a man who has succeed at every point in his coaching career.   He wasn't the best assistant coach when he started, but he became one.  He wasn't one of the best D coordinators when he started, but he became one.   He was generally viewed around the league as one the very best young head coach prospects in the league.   That's not a guy who consistently spikes the ball at the one yard line.  

And the single most important thing about the guy is that he is a learner, a student.   That's who he is.  So for you to predict that he's always going to screw up is simply inconsistent with who the guy is.  He doesn't make the same mistakes over and over.  He corrects his mistakes and improves.  That's who he is.  You say but new challenges come along.  Yes they do, but this game isn't completely different every five years.  The same fundamentals apply today as 50 years ago.  What changes are details, which are small, not large.  

So sure, no one knows what the future will be.  But the chances are that McDermott will continue to improve as a head coach, year after after, because that's who he is.  

The theory put forward in this thread that you have either abandoned or can't defend is that McDermott will become one of the greatest coaches of all time.  You can't really be saying "He became a good assistant coach, therefore that is evidence he will become one of the greatest head coaches in NFL history".   Or have you simply moved the bar to say "he will continue to improve and therefore the Bills will become one greatest teams in NFL history".   Neither of those things really seem like logical arguments to me. 

Basically I said "McDermott is not likely to be one of the greatest coaches of all time" . Your response is basically " you are wrong, he will likely improve from where he is at now".  I just don't follow your point.  I did not say he couldn't improve.  If he becomes one of the 10 best coaches in the league, that would be a big improvement.  Its a far cry from Lombardi, Landry, Noll and Bellicheck though.

52 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

The theory put forward in this thread that you have either abandoned or can't defend is that McDermott will become one of the greatest coaches of all time.  You can't really be saying "He became a good assistant coach, therefore that is evidence he will become one of the greatest head coaches in NFL history".   Or have you simply moved the bar to say "he will continue to improve and therefore the Bills will become one greatest teams in NFL history".   Neither of those things really seem like logical arguments to me. 

Basically I said "McDermott is not likely to be one of the greatest coaches of all time" . Your response is basically " you are wrong, he will likely improve from where he is at now".  I just don't follow your point.  I did not say he couldn't improve.  If he becomes one of the 10 best coaches in the league, that would be a big improvement.  Its a far cry from Lombardi, Landry, Noll and Bellicheck though.

That's well said.  You are correct. It's more likely that McD will not be a Hall of Fame coach, at least strictly on probabilities.  

I've consistently said you're right about some things.  Where I've said you're wrong is when you argue that McD can't be a great coach because there never will be another Belichick or because had more success in his first two years.