ROCKPILE REVIEW - The Hopeless Optimist

Nice job. The “realists” will continue to assert “I’ll believe it when I see it” and live in their world that consists of fear of failure. They’ll also continue to point out every draft pick and free agent signing that didn’t pan out (as if even the best franchises don’t have boatloads of each). I say screw ‘em. It’s much more fun as a fan to see where this team is headed and enjoy the ride. 

Edit: sorry for complaining, but do folks really not know how to respond without copying the entire long post? :doh:

Edited by eball
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Well done Shaw, and thank you.  I share your passion for the Bills which was born in the same way as yours - at my father's knee in the Rockpile.  I also share your optimism.  There is something special going on here and I am looking forward to seeing how it plays out.  Much can go wrong, as we all know, along the way but I really believe this organization is getting it right.

One point of difference with you - I am much more optimistic about this season than you are.  I would be disappointed in 9/7. Go Bills. 

Nice write up Shaw. I’ll boil down the 2019 season into two words...Josh Allen. This year’s off season was all about putting solid (not flashy big name) players around Josh. Now my fingers and toes are crossed that he shows significant development in Year Two. We’re all assuming he’ll make some plays with his legs, like we saw last year, but the more accurate measure will be if he can put together some scoring drives that look less like an improvisational breakdown and more like what the OC drew up in Training Camp.

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

Having been a Bills fan since I can remember as a child, somewhere in the late 1960s--pre OJ days, I have to agree with you Shaw. The optimism that surrounds this team now feels much like the early 90s and the run up to the SB years. We had a great coach, a great QB, a lot of talent, etc. Obviously, we're not there yet, but it sure feels like we will be soon. Great read, thanks for the work.

What possessed you to become a Bills fan in the late 1960s? They were just dreadful.

Nice post!! I agree with your optimism for the near future. The right pieces are in place to move in the right direction. If your in your 50’s or older you can remember when this happened in the late 80’s into the early 90’s. It’s starting to feel like the Organization is moving that way again. Time will tell, but many of us see it coming into plain sight?

I have a chronic illness. It's called Bills optimism. I just turned a young 64. So, along with Shaw I've tasted Bills success in 1964 & 1965 along with the Kelly years. For the first time in forever I feel the perfect storm is coming. Look out NFL! We are coming... Love what Beane and McDermott are putting forward. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

Hate to be a bubble burster.  But the NFL is just not set up for dynasty runs.  Aaron Rogers Drew Brees Joe Flacco and Russell Wilson are why.  Each of their teams which seemed on the cusp of greatness had to be dismantled to keep the QB

The Pats are the exception for four  unique reasons which the bills will not be able to repeat. 1) arguably the greatest coach ever.  2) arguably the greatest QB ever. Without a doubt the greatest coach qb combo ever.  3) being practically spotted 6 wins

a year by being in a division with 3 historical bad teams in it. 4)  QB who was willing to play below market value.  

The Bills can improve but the ceiling for long term  performance for any modern team is much closer to the Mike Tomlins Steelers era.  Not the chuck noll Steelers era. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, chris heff said:

What possessed you to become a Bills fan in the late 1960s? They were just dreadful.

I became a fan because it was my father's team. First game I ever attended was against the Raiders in 1968. The Bills lost 48-6; however, I was a nine year old kid attending my first game and sharing one of the few good times I remember with my father. I have been a diehard fan ever since. My son became a fan through me and, even though he hasn't had much to cheer about in his time as a fan (he wasn't old enough to appreciate the Super Bowl run), we have shared a lot of wonderful memories through our love of the Bills.

I'm not sure we really have a choice in which sports teams we come to love...it just happens.

In our case, I just tell my son to blame his grandfather :D.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

...so go back through OBD lore and our 38 "three year rebuilds"......so where does THIS ONE rank?......perhaps some random thoughts......

1. "I'm on the fire McBeane...fire McDermott now train" and still hold my position.

2. Greenspan warned against "irrational exuberance" which I did for the last 37 and I ain't buying it now.

3. Seventeen years of hell with "F Troop" running the show left me reticent, so it will take time for me to warm up the the new "A Team".

4. I admit years 2017 and 2018 were transitional, yet painful years. Year 2019 personnel changes via draft and FA certainly provide a mor optimistic outlook so far, but I grade the gang an INCOMPLETE, deferring to the Mizzou saying, "show me".

...so are we moving forward as an organization/team, or a yawning status quo or even moving azz backward?....perhaps too early to tell....

16 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

The Rockpile Review – by Shaw66

“The Hopeless Optimist”

I know I’m probably heading for a big crash, but I can’t help it: I think the golden age of the Buffalo Bills is upon us.  I think we are about to witness the greatest run of excellence in the history of the franchise, and one of the greatest of all time in the NFL.

Well stated Mr. Shaw. Drop the mic and drink the beer I have waiting for you. Fun times are upon us.

Way too long to read completely...but I did notice the statement about  keeping a rookie for 10 years . Wishful thinking with no guarantee. Rookie contracts are only 4,possibly 5 years. And 10 years is an exceptional career.

Edited by Georgie

3 minutes ago, Georgie said:

Way too long to read completely...but I did notice the statement about  keeping a rookie for 10 years . Wishful thinking with no guarantee. Rookie contracts are only 4,possibly 5 years. And 10 years is an exceptional career.

Boy is it sad what people consider "too long to read" these days. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9-7 is really my minimum expectation for how the season should go. We bought an NFL caliber offensive line, we added NFL caliber CB depth, and we bought two NFL caliber wide receivers. Plus we added Oliver to the defensive line. That's 4 position groups that improved and no position group got worse. And Allen is entering his second season with a full offseason as the definite starter. And Daboll is in the 2nd year of his system. And the defensive core has another year of experience.

Trending upwards is putting it lightly. I have very high expectations this season. Outside of injuries, if we go worse than 9-7 either Allen didn't progress or McDermott didn't prepare the team well. I'll stick to what I've been saying - if Allen takes the next step this team is ready for a deep playoff run right now.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

The Rockpile Review – by Shaw66

“The Hopeless Optimist”

I know I’m probably heading for a big crash, but I can’t help it: I think the golden age of the Buffalo Bills is upon us.  I think we are about to witness the greatest run of excellence in the history of the franchise, and one of the greatest of all time in the NFL.

Maybe it’s just because I’ve lived a long life and been fortunate to have had a lot of good things happen around me.   About the only good thing that hasn’t happened is true greatness for my football team.  I was there for the AFL championships and the Super Bowls.  Now it’s time to go all the way.

Whatever the reason, I can’t talk myself out of believing the Bills are about to take off.  It’s not that I expect the 2019 Bills to be great – someplace in the 9-7 to 7-9 range once again this year; what I expect is that the 2020 Bills will be a solid playoff team and a regular preseason Super Bowl contender after that.  It could come a year earlier or a year later, but it’s coming.

“WHAT??!!!  You can’t be serious,” readers scream.

I’m serious.  I’m serious for the combination of several reasons.

Actually, Shaw,  what you wrote isn't "hopeless" at all.  You should retitle this the "Hopeful Optimist".

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think you can bet on Allen.   I just think he has all the parts.   He wants it.  He studies.  He's a great athlete. And he has a coach who is perfect for him.  

I think NFL will be talking about him this season, and I think he'll be a premier QB within five years.  

Remember, it's continuous improvement.  His line will get better and his receivers will get better.  He'll get better.   It's going to be awesome. 

So many positives in the way the Buffalo Bills are being managed, coached, and backed by ownership with everyone on the same page its no wonder the Bills fan base is talking playoffs and beyond already. McD is going to continue to find ways to improve and the team is going to follow his lead. Intelligent, motivated players with a purpose. Leading the charge, Josh Allen.

I think you can bet on Allen... 

• Like (+1) 1

Good post Shaw and a lot of good comments.

I see the upcoming Bills season at being at the "Crossroads".  We (the Bills and their fans) haven't been here in a long time.

The Pegula's, Beane, Front Office and McDermott have got this team to this point.

McDermott has established the culture and formed a great "offseason" team.

To take the right road from here on is about McDermott's other responsibility, Game Day.

It's all up to him to get the coaches and players to put it together on the field.

Sean, Brian, Leslie, Heath and the rest need to put winning schemes/game plans together and be capable of adjusting them.

I don't think the job is too much for him, but I'll be hoping that McDermott's 1st challenge flag this year is successful.

Good Luck Sean McDermott.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Hate to be a bubble burster.  But the NFL is just not set up for dynasty runs.  Aaron Rogers Drew Brees Joe Flacco and Russell Wilson are why.  Each of their teams which seemed on the cusp of greatness had to be dismantled to keep the QB

The Pats are the exception for four  unique reasons which the bills will not be able to repeat. 1) arguably the greatest coach ever.  2) arguably the greatest QB ever. Without a doubt the greatest coach qb combo ever.  3) being practically spotted 6 wins

a year by being in a division with 3 historical bad teams in it. 4)  QB who was willing to play below market value.  

The Bills can improve but the ceiling for long term  performance for any modern team is much closer to the Mike Tomlins Steelers era.  Not the chuck noll Steelers era. 

Thanks, but your post completely 9gnores what I said. 

The NFL is not set up for dynasty runs.  The Patriots prove up wromg, and Andy Reid is evidence that it's possible for others to do it. He hasn't gotten over the too, but his teams are almost always good.  McDermott learned from Reid.  

1.  When Belichick was McDermott's age, no one was saying B I ll is the greatest coach of all time.  They were running him out of Cleveland.  

2.  As I said, I think Allen will be great.  And as I said, he and McD are a perfect match. Of course today they don't look like they can compete with Brady and Belichick.  Give 'em ten years.  

3.  Patriots beat EVERYONE.  They have a BETTER RECORD against the rest of the league than they have against the AFC east.  They would be spotted 6 wins in almost any division.  

4.  Allen may very well be willing to be paid below the market. You don't know that yet.  And the Patriots would still win if they paid Brady $30 million.

All you've said is that the Bills today are not the Patriots.  I didn't say they were.  I said they are building to geeatness, and you gave no reason why they can't. 

22 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Good post Shaw and a lot of good comments.

I see the upcoming Bills season at being at the "Crossroads".  We (the Bills and their fans) haven't been here in a long time.

The Pegula's, Beane, Front Office and McDermott have got this team to this point.

McDermott has established the culture and formed a great "offseason" team.

To take the right road from here on is about McDermott's other responsibility, Game Day.

It's all up to him to get the coaches and players to put it together on the field.

Sean, Brian, Leslie, Heath and the rest need to put winning schemes/game plans together and be capable of adjusting them.

I don't think the job is too much for him, but I'll be hoping that McDermott's 1st challenge flag this year is successful.

Good Luck Sean McDermott.

Go Bills!

The whole point of the process is to identify areas of weakness and improve them. It applies to McDermott too. His on field performance is evaluated like everything else, and a process is put in place to improve  it if necessary.  

If you ask McDermott, he will tell you he will be a much better head coach, in all aspects of his job, five yeare from now, because he intends to study, evaluate and improve all aspects.  

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The whole point of the process is to identify areas of weakness and improve them. It applies to McDermott too. His on field performance is evaluated like everything else, and a process is put in place to improve  it if necessary.  

If you ask McDermott, he will tell you he will be a much better head coach, in all aspects of his job, five yeare from now, because he intends to study, evaluate and improve all aspects.  

I agree Shaw.  That's why I used challenge flags as my point.  Since his first he hasn't got one right and by showing the improvement right out of

the chutes this year would make me smile.

• Like (+1) 1