Interesting profile on Matt Milano in TBN: “Man of few possessions and much promise”

https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/25/buffalo-bills-matt-milano-few-possessions-much-promise/

[mod note: subscription required.  Key points below:]

He’s a self-proclaimed minimalist,” Bills linebacker Lorenzo Alexander said, “which is evident in the same suit that he wears wherever he goes.”

It’s been two years since Milano moved into his one-bedroom, one-bathroom apartment in a renovated, red-brick building with exposed ductwork in downtown Buffalo, after the Bills drafted him out of Boston College with a fifth-round pick in 2017.

And the interior remains nearly as sparse as the day he arrived.

“He doesn’t have a whole lot in his apartment,” Bills linebacker Julian Stanford said. “A couch, TV, I think he just bought a desk and he’s trying to find a chair. But that’s it.”

No end tables. No lamps. Nothing hanging on the walls.

“In his bedroom, he has a clothes rack, and that’s where his clothes are, on the rack, no dresser, no nothing. And a mattress on the floor,” Milano’s dad, Mike, said. “It’s hysterical.”

Milano acknowledges his lifestyle is an anomaly in a day and age of instant gratification and a culture built on materialism.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
note that subscription required to view article
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...GREAT find Yolo....kid was sorely missed last year......I certainly underestimated his potential contribution as a smallish 5th......better keep my day job........

Reading about how he is a minimalist so he can focus on football and spends his time reading leadership books... very McProcess

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Nester said:

Cant wait for him to have a healthy prosperous year. 

Great kid, great future in the NFL. 

My only concern is his size.  He has to be one of the smallest LBs in the nfl.  It’s a different league but getting hit by guys charging ahead 100 lbs bigger than you has to wear on you.  But guy is a playmaker so I hope he can stay healthy. 

17 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

My only concern is his size.  He has to be one of the smallest LBs in the nfl.  It’s a different league but getting hit by guys charging ahead 100 lbs bigger than you has to wear on you.  But guy is a playmaker so I hope he can stay healthy. 

...initially WAS mine, but he dispelled that concern in short order IMO..............

4 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Probably prevents girls from becoming girlfriends too. Very process, Matt. Very process. Ball is life.

Yes! he is in no hurry! Focus on football and himself...nothing wrong with that!

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I bet a lot of lower draft picks live the same life.  No sense filling a rental full of stuff as they are likely to be moving around team to team.

I understand the thought, but I doubt a lot of fringe players live this minimally. 

I couldn't making $12/hr. Yard sales, Moving sales, Goodwill etc. can set up anyone with a dresser, bed, chair & lamp.. 

This guy is weirder than Art Still. But I Love him!

• Like (+1) 1

p-seinfeld-michael-richards.jpg

Kramer: Well I just got it. Spector gave it to me , he's giving everything away...becoming a minimalist.

George: Is that the guy who likes fat women?

Jerry: Doesn't the fat fetish conflict with the minimalism?

45 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...initially WAS mine, but he dispelled that concern in short order IMO..............

It is becoming the trend with smaller, faster linebackers with good instincts. I hope he stays in one piece...I am rooting for Joseph as well. This could be special.

Edited by Rocket94

20 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I understand the thought, but I doubt a lot of fringe players live this minimally. 

I couldn't making $12/hr. Yard sales, Moving sales, Goodwill etc. can set up anyone with a dresser, bed, chair & lamp.. 

This guy is weirder than Art Still. But I Love him!

Blast from the past! Remember the player but not the background, What was his story? 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Blast from the past! Remember the player but not the background, What was his story? 

IIRC, he & his large family were communal. They all slept on the same mattress on the floor. I know there were other odd idiosyncrasies but mostly I remember him being fantastic against the run -which paired well with Smerlas at Nose & Bruce at RDE.

• Like (+1) 1