Aaron Schatz Football Outsiders-- Still Doubts Josh

28 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

You can say this and it may be somewhat true of the talking heads in media land.  But, there are stories of great players like Thurman and Aaron Rodgers having long held grudges regarding their draft experience, for instance.  Apparently, they can hang on some perceived disrespect for a long, long time.  Josh's story is full of doubters at every turn, right up until the draft and it still continues.  Being labeled a "parody of an NFL QB prospect" is about as harsh as could be.  I'd bet he's heard that and all the rest of the chatter.  The guy that wrote letters to every FBS school there is asking them to review his JUCO video and for a scholarship, but only got 2 offers sounds motivated by more than just a big payday.

I’m sure that many players who have been derided by people in the media, etc. take great satisfaction in rubbing their noses in it after they succeed.  No doubt about that.  Who wouldn't?  It’s just that I don’t think it ever really impacts their drive.  Too many other factors matter so much more. That proving naysayers wrong drives players to succeed is just a narrative that some fans take satisfaction in.  In reality it doesn’t matter at all, it’s just a fun extra. 

• Like (+1) 1

I still doubt Josh. He's come a long ways since game one but he's still no where near good enough. He still isn't accurate with the football. He takes too long to make decisions, and he makes too many bad ones when he finally does. Allen put out a lot of tape to feed the doubters. 

He also showed he can learn from his mistakes and improve. If he has the drive and will to never be satisfied and keep getting better then I think he'll become a good QB because the talent is certainly there. He'll never be Peyton Manning but he might be some version of a cross between Brett Favre and Cam Newton.  

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

I maintain that Allen is an analytical unicorn. The stats used to measure him in college do not take into effect factors like what sort of coaching he received, the skill of his teammates, and his experience playing the position. If you want to respond that “all D-1 QBs are measured the same way” that’s fine, but I’ll assert that statistics used in that way are flawed.

I think nearly everyone who questions Allen as a “valid” NFL starter has solely relied upon those flawed college statistics. Allen’s low completion percentage during his first season in Buffalo appears to them to be proof of his expected failure.  They are making the same mistake. 

Give me one good reason why a player possessing Allen’s physical and mental characteristics couldn’t get a sniff from any decent D-1 program? That, by itself, is evidence of a flawed system. You’re really telling me the top college programs wouldn’t want a talent like Allen in their system? They just “missed” on him because he didn’t have the right pedigree, so he went to a crappy Wyoming program where he still elevated those around him. 

This kid may be the most unintentional victim of “analytics” in sports history. It’s going to be a joy watching him shut all of the doubters’ mouths. 

What tells you that Allen more than anyone else is an analytical unicorn?

The fact that the third best QB (statistically) in a poor conference is proof that the top conferences operate in a flawed system by not taking him?

What pedigree are you referring to?

He may end up in the NFL Hall of Fame but I'm not certain what you see in him that indicates he will definitely be an unmitigated success.

• Like (+1) 1

In Josh Allen's first year he improved as the season progressed. He came back as a much better player from his injury and showed a lot of moxie. We must remember that he wasn't slotted to be the starter and got few first team reps right up to the 2nd regular season game. He's a physically gifted QB with a brain and a lot of heart. The eye test says he's "got it".

Aaron Schatz has no clue as to how good of a QB Allen can be. The improvement from his first game to his last was impressive and anyone watching all his games would know that.  While he's not yet where he needs to be there doesn't appear to be anything holding him back.

• Like (+1) 2

Putting aside analytics for a second, Allen has to vastly improve in 2 areas:

1. Accuracy

2. Making quicker and more accurate decisions.

Might happen. Might not.

I remember in training camp last season there were a few articles saying his inaccuracy was caused by poor footwork and that the coaching staff would fix it. They didn't. Hopefully, they figure it out this season, because coaches and fans will be far less forgiving next offseason if it doesn't get fixed. 2019 will answer most of the questions around Allen. 

It's succeed or head towards a backup role time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Putting aside analytics for a second, Allen has to vastly improve in 2 areas:

1. Accuracy

2. Making quicker and more accurate decisions.

Might happen. Might not.

I remember in training camp last season there were a few articles saying his inaccuracy was caused by poor footwork and that the coaching staff would fix it. They didn't. Hopefully, they figure it out this season, because coaches and fans will be far less forgiving next offseason if it doesn't get fixed. 2019 will answer most of the questions around Allen. 

It's succeed or head towards a backup role time.

Both areas improved post injury. Especially, the latter. He was night and day more decisive and looked like he belonged. The game slowed down considerably when he returned. That injury and the time it gave him to learn while being tethered to his coaches on the sidelines was a blessing in disguise. 

His footwork has not been an issue outside of a few plays. And every QB in the league is gonna break down mechanically from time to time. It happens. 

I doubt there’s much Allen can do to satisfy his detractors as their expectations are unrealistic given his level of experience at the position and the rawness with which he entered the league. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Kemp said:

What tells you that Allen more than anyone else is an analytical unicorn?

The fact that the third best QB (statistically) in a poor conference is proof that the top conferences operate in a flawed system by not taking him?

What pedigree are you referring to?

He may end up in the NFL Hall of Fame but I'm not certain what you see in him that indicates he will definitely be an unmitigated success.

Allen doesn’t have a classic NFL QB pedigree. He had to fight to get a D-1 scholarship. His physical talents alone make that a curious conundrum. Why did no big college programs want him? You don’t think these schools would have loved to work with a kid with Josh’s talent? They whiffed. 

Allen’s stats in college are what they are. It’s irrelevant to me what other QBs in his conference did. But those stats are being used by some as “evidence” he will not succeed in the NFL, rather than as one piece of a much larger puzzle. The analytics crowd want so desperately to turn the prediction of success/failure into a series of data points, but that’s not the only (or even the best, perhaps) way to predict NFL QB play. 

What do I see in Allen?

A - physical attributes that are in the top 10% of all NFL starting QBs

B - evidence of being a “smart guy” (i.e., high Wonderlic score, presence in public/media situations)

C - evidence of strong leadership skills (i.e., teammates gushed about him last year; took initiative welcoming FAs this year without prompting)

D - evidence of a strong desire to improve (continuing work with Palmer in offseason)

Remember when Whaley tried (unsuccessfully) to sell us on EJ Manuel having the “it” factor? Josh Allen has the “it” factor in spades. That’s no guarantee he’ll succeed, but after seeing his first season and the way he has conducted himself I now believe there is a more likely chance than not he will be a successful QB for the Bills for years to come, and it will be shown that college analytics failed miserably to predict his NFL career. 

• Like (+1) 1

Several folks here , myself included, have gone back and looked at every pass in a number of games from last year, and determined he is no more or less accurate from any other young QBs.  He needs more precision, or what some say ball placement, at times.  And like all young QBs the game needs to slow down so he makes quicker decisions.

The amount of criticism a rookie QB gets around here borders on ridiculous at times. His second year is coming up and we should see improvement.   I have no doubt that he will.  I equally have no doubt that no matter how good he gets, some who made their decision he'll stink on the day he was drafted will never change their minds.

• Like (+1) 4

47 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

In Josh Allen's first year he improved as the season progressed. He came back as a much better player from his injury and showed a lot of moxie. We must remember that he wasn't slotted to be the starter and got few first team reps right up to the 2nd regular season game. He's a physically gifted QB with a brain and a lot of heart. The eye test says he's "got it".

Aaron Schatz has no clue as to how good of a QB Allen can be. The improvement from his first game to his last was impressive and anyone watching all his games would know that.  While he's not yet where he needs to be there doesn't appear to be anything holding him back.

^^ this is pretty much how most people feel who ACTUALLY watched Aleen play ,  there are also few who would rather stick to their guns then maybe ADMIT that they were wrong , I’m not saying Allen is there yet BUT there’s definitely a lot to be excited about !!!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, eball said:

Allen doesn’t have a classic NFL QB pedigree. He had to fight to get a D-1 scholarship. His physical talents alone make that a curious conundrum. Why did no big college programs want him? You don’t think these schools would have loved to work with a kid with Josh’s talent? They whiffed. 

Allen’s stats in college are what they are. It’s irrelevant to me what other QBs in his conference did. But those stats are being used by some as “evidence” he will not succeed in the NFL, rather than as one piece of a much larger puzzle. The analytics crowd want so desperately to turn the prediction of success/failure into a series of data points, but that’s not the only (or even the best, perhaps) way to predict NFL QB play. 

What do I see in Allen?

B - evidence of being a “smart guy” (i.e., high Wonderlic score, presence in public/media situations)

C - evidence of strong leadership skills (i.e., teammates gushed about him last year; took initiative welcoming FAs this year without prompting)

D - evidence of a strong desire to improve (continuing work with Palmer in offseason)

Remember when Whaley tried (unsuccessfully) to sell us on EJ Manuel having the “it” factor? Josh Allen has the “it” factor in spades. That’s no guarantee he’ll succeed, but after seeing his first season and the way he has conducted himself I now believe there is a more likely chance than not he will be a successful QB for the Bills for years to come, and it will be shown that college analytics failed miserably to predict his NFL career. 

A good synopsis of the difference between being a passer and being a QB. Allen has the it factor in spades. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

All analytics is, is interpreting stats. Your saying they are irrelevant going forward are based on what?

Based on the fact that they have no predictive value.  Provide me with one stat that has any predictive value as to what Allen may do this year or next year.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Putin said:

^^ this is pretty much how most people feel who ACTUALLY watched Aleen play ,  there are also few who would rather stick to their guns then maybe ADMIT that they were wrong , I’m not saying Allen is there yet BUT there’s definitely a lot to be excited about !!!

Allen certainly improved after he sat a few weeks from his injury. It seemed like he learned a lot just watching. It's also amazing how much Allen's footwork improved with different receivers.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:44 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I know right.  If Allen was on the Fins, what would Bills fans’ opinions be after being a 56% passer in a lower D1 conference where he wasn’t on any of the All MWC teams; completed 52% of his passers his rookie year with 10 tds and 12 ints?  I’m sure we would talking about how the Fins have a stud franchise qb. ?

right or wrong, I try to be consistent.  I didn’t want the Bills to draft Allen. I hate that I’m not blindly behind because I have serious doubts.  I know he is a hard work and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I know people who have meant him and said he’s a good dude.  But I need to see him win with arm.  I think the Bills could have gotten him a better OC (I’m amazed how sold everyone is on Daboll) and a legit 1 type receiver.  I do like the improved oline and he plays with a good defense to keep him in games.

but to sum it up, if Allen wasn’t a Bill, fans wont be sold either (also silly to be sold on a qb after one year).  I hate that I still have the doubts and there aren’t many things that I would love to be wrong on than Allen.  But sorry. After years of defending every Bills qb (compare Losman and Favre’s 1st 2 years), I need to see it.  So do non Bills fans. And hopefully, we do. 

I can't say that I understand why you are so rough on Daboll. Some of the best coaches in history saw fit to hire him. The Bills provided him with:

1) A rookie qb. 

2) A terrible offensive line.

3) A sub-par running attack.

4) Lousy wide receivers.

5) Poor tight ends.

6) Peterman.

I could go on. Despite the above, the Bills managed to win some games. I might join you after this year if Daboll doesn't improve the offense. He does seem to have much more to work with. I think that he deserves another year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I can't say that I understand why you are so rough on Daboll. Some of the best coaches in history saw fit to hire him. The Bills provided him with:

1) A rookie qb. 

2) A terrible offensive line.

3) A sub-par running attack.

4) Lousy wide receivers.

5) Poor tight ends.

6) Peterman.

I could go on. Despite the above, the Bills managed to win some games. I might join you after this year if Daboll doesn't improve the offense. He does seem to have much more to work with. I think that he deserves another year.

Bill, there was a time (I think) when I used to look forward to Biscuit's posts.  I don't know what happened to him.  He's completely afraid to express belief or optimism in anything the Bills do now.  Everything is an expectation of failure or bemoaning that the Bills "settled" for less than ideal players/coaches.  I hope he snaps out of it because I feel like this is going to be a fun season for us.

• Like (+1) 1

52.8% completion rate will not make it in the NFL and Analytics is basically saying that.  How does running for over 600 yards and 8 TDs factor into being an "effective" QB, which is really all that matters.  If Allen wasn't as athletic as he is with running ability and being able to extend plays (something analytics isn't able quantify for QBs), we would all be on Beane for taking Allen.  I'm looking forward to watching Allen progress this year with a better OL, a better running attack and WRs that can get separation.  Ultimately though, Allen has to improve his completion % and his decision making.  Hopefully, with the revamped Offense, we will see Allen improve in the areas Analytics sees as essential to success as a QB.  His athleticism, hopefully, can be the icing on the cake that can help him become elite.

I also like Dabol and look forward to what he can do with better offensive weapons.  Should be an exciting season.

Edited by richardb1952
commas
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, eball said:

What do I see in Allen?

I agree with all of the above and I’ll add one. Allen is crazy competitive. You could see it on his face when Peterman came in for him in Houston.

He wants to win at everything he does. He hurdled 6-5 Anthony Barr. He and his brother would get in fights playing pick up basketball as kids. He rubbed it in big time when he hit a golf ball closest to the pin vs Darnold and Fitz. He challenged Mahomes to a longest throw contest. He’s one of “those guys” and I think you have to be wired that way to be great. 

He’s polished for the cameras but on the field he’s an uber competitive ***** talker. And I for one love it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, eball said:

Bill, there was a time (I think) when I used to look forward to Biscuit's posts.  I don't know what happened to him.  He's completely afraid to express belief or optimism in anything the Bills do now.  Everything is an expectation of failure or bemoaning that the Bills "settled" for less than ideal players/coaches.  I hope he snaps out of it because I feel like this is going to be a fun season for us.

I was also never known for my optimism lol!

Wrt Daboll, I feel like we have seen what this man is capable of.....on other teams. I think that given some time we are going to really appreciate him.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/25/2019 at 12:09 PM, Just Joshin' said:

This should be said about any QB drafted last year, not just Allen.  None of them have proved they are a franchise QB today.

That said, Allen showed enough to provide evidence he can develop into that player.  I would rather have him at this point than Rosen or Jackson.  He is about where Darnold is while Mayfield would be the leader.  Year 2 will provide additional evidence for all these players as they continue to develop.

I don’t think it’s coincidence that the guy who looked the best last season - Mayfield- had the most talent around him just like it’s not a coincidence that the QB who struggled the most - Rosen- had the least talent.

For Shatz to say if Allen succeeds it will be because of the talent around him is laughable, that’s true of all young QBs and just about all QBs in general.

Does anybody think Mahomes is the MVP if he doesn’t have the best offensive talent in the league around him?

Edited by MDH
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, eball said:

What do I see in Allen?

A - That he is big and throws hard? JaMarcus Russell had that.

B - Fitzpatrick had a higher score, I believe. Presence in media situations is of no value as a predictor of success.

C - Is of no value as a predictor of success.

D - Is of no value as a predictor of success.

Again, this doesn't mean he won't be great, but it in no way points to success, either.