Memorial Day images

Just now, Gugny said:

My great Uncle Paul died fighting in the Battle of Guadalcanal.

RIP

Guadalcanal often gets overlooked in the WWII Theaters of War, but it was essential to ebb the Japanese expansion, gain plane runways and stop a possible invasion of Australia. It was also our 1st ground invasion of the Pacific campaign and we made numerous costly errors, while realizing the fanaticism of our enemy. Your Great Uncles’ sacrifice taught our Commanders a lot!

Rest in Peace, Uncle Paul.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

I highly recommend everyone should visit Arlington and watch the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown. One of the most moving experiences I’ve had the privilege to witness. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've been privileged to attend 2 funerals at Arlington.  One was for a co-worker, and the other a former neighbor.  The former neighbor was an AF Colonel., so that was a bit more detailed, with the horse drawn caisson to the graveside.   The Old Guard is very impressive and reverent.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, WhoTom said:

USS Robert E. Peary, the ship my Dad served on during WWII:

USSREPeary.thumb.jpg.2e304d60ca13c29d39fee6834709898d.jpg

My wife’s dad was a dentist on the USS Missouri when the peace treaty was signed. They had a replica of the Missouri on the mantle with an actual piece of wood from a railing. I thought it was all attached when I picked it up. This was before our marriage. I made a mess. But they put up with me anyway.....  They MUST be good people! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:48 PM, Marv's Neighbor said:

I've been privileged to attend 2 funerals at Arlington.  One was for a co-worker, and the other a former neighbor.  The former neighbor was an AF Colonel., so that was a bit more detailed, with the horse drawn caisson to the graveside.   The Old Guard is very impressive and reverent.

I've been to 1 for a co-worker and it was an experience I'll never forget.

I've been to one at Arlington, the funeral of Chic Burlingame, the captain of America 77 that was smashed into the Pentagon on 9/11.

A truly moving experience is to be at the American Cemetery at Colleville-su Mer when they play "Taps" as the US flag is lowered.