Is Donovan McNabb Hall of Fame Worthy?

Is Donovan McNabb Hall of Fame Worthy?  

231 members have voted

1. 1. McNabb Claims He's HOF worthy, What do you think?

• Yes
    • No
    • Who's he?

On 5/25/2019 at 2:22 PM, auburnbillsbacker said:

If Eli gets in McNabb should get in.  He was better.

So if we had a choice of McNabb or Eli as the Bills QB you would take McNabb lol.

Im taking Eli every time.

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Jim Kelly and Aikman are boosted by their playoff heroics, many dispute both of them.

I'm fine with both, not even 1% doubt.

Kelly absolutely belongs, he did things that other QBs at the time didnt.

Aikman played on one of the few teams that had more talent than Buf and behind the greatest offensive line of all time.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

26 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

So if we had a choice of McNabb or Eli as the Bills QB you would take McNabb lol.

Im taking Eli every time.

Kelly absolutely belongs, he did things that other QBs at the time didnt.

Aikman played on one of the few teams that had more talent than Buf and behind the greatest offensive line of all time.

that's the view of very biased Buffalo fans, i have run across a lot of non-Bills fans that don't think Kelly belongs at all, wasn't even a top 4 QB in his day

but i smile and let it ride, he belongs

49 minutes ago, row_33 said:

that's the view of very biased Buffalo fans, i have run across a lot of non-Bills fans that don't think Kelly belongs at all, wasn't even a top 4 QB in his day

but i smile and let it ride, he belongs

Make no mistake I am a football fan.  A very biased Bills fan would call Jim Kelly the GOAT when I say its Marino.

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I agree. He is very close but ultimately you got to say no. He's literally missing like one additional footnote in his resume like one more super bowl appearance or one more season with 3500 yards and 90 QB Rating or a league MVP season.

But yeah, if you open it up for McNabb then guys like Romo, Stafford and even Bledsoe will come calling.

Yeah, it’s impossible to answer what McNabb’s defining moment was. I think that’s what keeps him out of the HOF. He was really good, but lacks a signature moment or achievement. As mentioned by another poster, his career came to an ugly end with Washington and Minnesota. Had he been able to sustain his career average stats for a few more years, then he’d have more of case. McNabb’s successful years came in a short window by modern QB standards. Elite QB’s playing up to and beyond forty seems to be the new norm. That really raises the bar for induction into the HOF as a QB. 

Edited by SirAndrew

I do think in some ways getting elected to the NFL hall of fame is too easy and too hard to get elected to the baseball HOF so likely there are other marginal players in there too.  But also may be due to the fact that baseball players have easily measurable stats like HR's RBI, ave, ERA, etc.  What's an offensive lineman have to measure against?

It has to be hard on the voters to decide as you can see much more "tape" of today's players compared to guys who did get elected and those who just missed getting in from 40 years ago.  How many of today's voters even saw someone like Johnny U or Bart Starr even play.  But that's the job of the votors to sort through all that.

His comparison against Aikman is fair until you get to the Super Bowl wins.  And very likely Aikman was also marginal, but what did get him over the top were the championship wins.

Not sure this article will help very much as can see voters now thinking, can't vote for him else it will look like anyone who feels slighted, get some attention on it and we'll vote yes.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

5 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I do think in some ways getting elected to the NFL hall of fame is too easy and too hard to get elected to the baseball HOF so likely there are other marginal players in there too.  But also may be due to the fact that baseball players have easily measurable stats like HR's RBI, ave, ERA, etc.  What's an offensive lineman have to measure against?

It has to be hard on the voters to decide as you can see much more "tape" of today's players compared to guys who did get elected and those who just missed getting in from 40 years ago.  How many of today's voters even saw someone like Johnny U or Bart Starr even play.  But that's the job of the votors to sort through all that.

His comparison against Aikman is fair until you get to the Super Bowl wins.  And very likely Aikman was also marginal, but what did get him over the top were the championship wins.

Not sure this article will help very much as can see voters now thinking, can't vote for him else it will look like anyone who feels slighted, get some attention on it and we'll vote yes.

Baseball stats are not only more measurable, but also less dependent on teammates. Some of baseball’s biggest stars haven’t gotten close to being on a successful team. That’s something you’ll rarely say about big time NFL players. Having an HOF football career can be heavily dependent on circumstance. Baseball players are able to put up big numbers independently. A guy like Aikman was placed in a great situation, and made the most of it. Other players at his level won’t be in the HOF because they weren’t fortunate enough to be in such a situation. Baseball is more of black and white game, while football has a lot of gray area and is so wonderful because it’s such a microcosm of life. 

• Like (+1) 1