Is Donovan McNabb Hall of Fame Worthy?

Is Donovan McNabb Hall of Fame Worthy?  

231 members have voted

1. 1. McNabb Claims He's HOF worthy, What do you think?

• Yes
    • No
    • Who's he?

8 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Every QB who has started 3 or more Super Bowls is either in the HOF or will be a 1st ballot HOFer (P.Manning & Brady).  The most important thing for a QB is being a consistent winner & a champion, not some stats that some people could use to say Rob Johnson was better than Jim Kelly.  Absolutely-screw QB stats!  A lot of mediocre QBs have 1 Super Bowl, but the greats play in multiple Super Bowls & the GOATS of their time won multiple Supers (post 1966).  

McNabb was a pretty consistent winner--about 60% of his starts.  Same as Kelly.  

He won a "championship" game (Kelly won 4) and played in 6 (NFCC+SB). 

Kelly's SB stats are not good:  4 games,  829 yards, 57%, 2 TDs (all in 1 game), 7 ints.   McNabb has more SB TDs than Kelly.

Eli Manning won "multiple Supers".

As others have stated, McNabb = good to very good at times.

In his era he's bordering on top 10 amongst his peers.  HOF is for the elite, players who are talked about long after they are done.  He's a footnote and mostly forgotten outside of Philadelphia, if not for his stupid comments.  Fans here have had enough of the guy.  For the historically best QB in the organization, that's saying something (though that bar is not exceeding high).    

Here are some things that people forget about when discussing him:

- He had an elite OL most of his career -- curtesy of the Bills, partly.  We'd kill to have bookends like Tre Thomas and Runyan for a decade. 

- Very inaccurate passer.  To be sub 60% in a WC offense is telling 

- A. Reid was passing the ball greater than 65% of the time, and his numbers are still not great.  He should be obligated to give A. Reid a portion of his future pension checks, he could have easily been another A. Smith without him.  How did he look outside of the Eagles organization?  He would only throw the ball if a receiver was wide open.  He did not throw receivers open or to spots.  This is primarily the reason his TD to INT ratio is 2 - 1.  He wouldn't pull the trigger. 

- Jim Johnson fielded great defensive teams during their stretch run.  Early in his career that took a big burden off of him.  Great defenses help the offense so much.  Not much credence is given to more possessions and great field position.

- Brian Westbrook was for a period of time was Marshall Faulk like.  Made McNabb's passing and % numbers better than they were.  Westbrook was a stud, too bad about his knees.  He always had really good RB talent that could do it all.  

- He played a big a part in dividing the locker room when T.O. wanted a fair market deal after the SB.  He was a passive aggressive baby and was super jealous of how the fan base and city gravitated to TO and not him.  He publicly backed Westbrook during a contract situation and refused to say anything regarding T.O. 

- People keep talking about lack of talent surrounding him...here's a question, who did he make better?  Great QBs find a way to make it happen and help develop the talent around them.  I will admit...G. Lewis, R. Brown, T. Pinkston, J. Thrash, F. Mitchell  weren't ideal in the early 2000s.  He got TO and helped sabotage that situation.  His ego got in the way.

- Guy is the perpetual victim.  Always had excuses that pointed the finger at everyone, but himself.  For an "elite" FB player outside of the WR position, he had/has the thinnest skin.  He has little if any self awareness and just doesn't come off as that bright.  Evidence of that is all over his post career exploits.  It makes me cringe with people point out he has a communications degree from Syracuse.  He's awful in front of the camera or microphone and lacks creative or insightful analysis.  

- In two years he's going to be passed by other current players, pushing him down further all-time leaders list.  I think that's why we are hearing him chirp now.  

- Finally...if you have to tell people you're a HOFer, then you're not one.  He didn't pass the eye test, wasn't statistically great and continually came up short when it mattered.  His teams were favored in 4 of 5 NFC Championship games, and he made it to one SB.  He came up really small there, too.  I'll never forget before the half, he had Westbrook wide open, no defender within 5 yards in front of the end zone, over threw him by 10 yards for an easy INT before the half.  That was the game, they could have had the lead going into half.  As a QB they get all the credit when things are good, he just couldn't deal with other side of the coin.  

Edited by YodaMan79
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/25/2019 at 4:03 AM, Chandler#81 said:

and countering this, Dan Fouts never played in a Super Bowl but was enshrined  his 1st year of eligibility. Playoffs/SBs/teammates are considered -don’t think they’re not, but it’s mainly Eye Test. Fouts passed the Eye Test as a threat to score on every drive. Donovan didn’t.

So, currently at 156-34, is it safe to say the ‘Nays’ have it? Anyone anticipating an 11th hour run for McNabb?

.....irrespective of the McNabb debate, the shroud of secrecy as to how panelists voted is a sham....Thermal was forced to wait as punishment for not being a media darling.....same to a certain extent as far as Art Monk.....how about Jerry Kramer's wait?.....be it as it may, McNabb is oh fer three since becoming eligible in 2017...just a speculative hunch, but it has more to do to being marginal versus "punishment"....will he eventually get in?.......your call.........

21 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

If Eli gets in McNabb should get in.  He was better.

Eli shouldn't get in, even with 2 rings.  Phil Simms has 1 ring & another where he was the starter most of the season before his injury and he'll never get in.  So it's not automatic just because he played in NY.  If Eli gets in it will be because of his last name-I hope the voters aren't that swayed by his name.  

For most of his career Eli has been mediocre.  The only thing he's got going for him is he's unflappable and may be one of the best clutch players of his era (obviously Brady dwarfs everyone else, although Eli beat him twice with the SB on the line).  The problem is that there were too many times when he was too far behind in the 4th quarter for his best attribute to matter.  

1 hour ago, YodaMan79 said:

- A. Reid was passing the ball greater than 65% of the time, and his numbers are still not great.  He should be obligated to give A. Reid a portion of his future pension checks, he could have easily been another A. Smith without him.  How did he look outside of the Eagles organization?  He would only throw the ball if a receiver was wide open.  He did not throw receivers open or to spots.  This is primarily the reason his TD to INT ratio is 2 - 1.  He wouldn't pull the trigger. 

Agreed. Reid is underrated as both a coach and GM. IMO, he is a HOF coach and that is saying something considering he's only won one conference title game. And Smith at least played at a high level under two different coaches and teams in Harbough and Reid. 

22 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Eli shouldn't get in, even with 2 rings.  Phil Simms has 1 ring & another where he was the starter most of the season before his injury and he'll never get in.  So it's not automatic just because he played in NY.  If Eli gets in it will be because of his last name-I hope the voters aren't that swayed by his name.  

For most of his career Eli has been mediocre.  The only thing he's got going for him is he's unflappable and may be one of the best clutch players of his era (obviously Brady dwarfs everyone else, although Eli beat him twice with the SB on the line).  The problem is that there were too many times when he was too far behind in the 4th quarter for his best attribute to matter.  

I really, really, really don't want Eli in the HOF. That said, the voters are totally going to fall for his last name. The perfect comparison would be Joe Flacco if Flacco were to go on another epic Super Bowl run and win a second one with the Broncos. It would be a great story but he would still have no chance at the HOF. Eli is very similar to Flacco IMO but because of his name and perhaps city he plays for he is going to undeservedly get in.

I really think people are minimizing how he helped to evolve football. He is the Cam Newton, Donte Culpepper, Josh Allen, etc. prototype. 

He was also able to become a pocket passer when he lost his elite athleticism in the second half of his career. Hopefully Josh Allen can mirror a lot of McNabb.

Also, interesting that both McNabb and Allen played basketball really well. Not sure what it means, but probably something.

On 5/24/2019 at 5:31 PM, Mike in Horseheads said:

Sports IllustratedVerified account @SInow 7h7 hours ago

Donovan McNabb says he's a Hall of Famer http://go.si.com/z6N9n2f

Former NFL quarterback Donovan McNabb says he deserves to be wearing a gold jacket and be enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

McNabb made his argument to TMZ and focused his candidacy on one player.

“I’m not hesitating on that. I am a Hall of Famer. My numbers speak for themselves," McNabb said. "My numbers are better than Troy Aikman’s.

Minus the SBs and the fact that Aikman is overrated.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

McNabb was a good, but not great QB. He played in a tough city and held up well all things considered. He had a lot of talent around him in those years. He puked from the pressure in the SB. Yes his team made it to 4 straight NFC title games and one SB, but he also had Andy Reid at the helm of those teams. Though he had a good career I can't say there is anything that really made him standout to make that career HOF worthy. 

Edited by H2o

9 hours ago, YodaMan79 said:

He was being punished for not being liked.  He was also a finalist in his first year.  So yeah, anyone with a brain knew he was. 

I was quoting you saying that he wouldn't be because he was telling everyone he was a HOFer.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I go back-and-forth on this. He’s the kind of guy that if he got in no one would blink at. Once he was in he’d be one of the guys that future HOFers pointed to as a reason for their candidacy. 

I agree. He is very close but ultimately you got to say no. He's literally missing like one additional footnote in his resume like one more super bowl appearance or one more season with 3500 yards and 90 QB Rating or a league MVP season.

But yeah, if you open it up for McNabb then guys like Romo, Stafford and even Bledsoe will come calling.

On 5/25/2019 at 1:29 PM, oldmanfan said:

Numbers are not the whole story.

apparently it is to millenial fans

and if you disagree the nicest response is that they will severely ridicule you....

i try to say it's okay, you really don't have much reason to worry how Sandy Koufax or Joe Namath stack up with all the new stats, unless you are making $100,000 a year from this analysis....

12 hours ago, YodaMan79 said:

He was being punished for not being liked.  He was also a finalist in his first year.  So yeah, anyone with a brain knew he was. 

basket cases and idiot children sometimes have to wait

media haters  are another category to wait, but sometimes you can't even do that to them (see Steve Carlton and Eddie Murray)

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Aikman shouldnt be in the HOF.

Jim Kelly and Aikman are boosted by their playoff heroics, many dispute both of them.

I'm fine with both, not even 1% doubt.