Is Donovan McNabb Hall of Fame Worthy?

Is Donovan McNabb Hall of Fame Worthy?  

231 members have voted

1. 1. McNabb Claims He's HOF worthy, What do you think?

• Yes
    • No
    • Who's he?

11 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

You just don’t get football history. Everything is not numbers in black and white.

You don’t either.  Jim Kelly was on one of most talented teams in nfl history.  He had worse regular season and post season stats than McNabb.  McNabb played with one HOF caliber player. Yet, he played in a SB and 4 championship games. 

And my point remains consistent.  Kelly is a HOF while McNabb is on the outside looking in.  But if you completely dismiss McNabb’s career, you are kinda foolish.  He was at worst a slight step down from Kelly. 

I don’t remember the puking on a SB winning drive, but I was at the game in Tampa in September during their playoff years where the Bucs and Eagles were always competing each other.  I actually felt bad for him as it 99 degrees with a heat. Index of 117 degrees, and he threw. Up ifI remember in the second half.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Yes so every player on Dallass teams should be in Hall of Fame.

For better or worse, it's the QB who gets the credit or blame for wins & losses.  It doesn't mean you have to agree with it, but that's how the HOF voters view it.  

Guy was the leader of a team that made it to four straight NFC championship games.  Statistically, he's a borderline case.  But the sustained success of those Eagle's teams should, imo, put him in.  Yes, he doesn't have the super bowl wins, but neither do the Bill's elite.  

No unless puking in the SuperBowl gets you an award

1 hour ago, berg1029 said:

Guy was the leader of a team that made it to four straight NFC championship games.  Statistically, he's a borderline case.  But the sustained success of those Eagle's teams should, imo, put him in.  Yes, he doesn't have the super bowl wins, but neither do the Bill's elite.  

Those Bills teams won those AFC Championship games (one on the road) and didn't lose a playoff game at home until the Jags.  Eagles and Reid choked losing two conference championship games at home

i am an SU fan and watched closely McNabb and think he should be in. his numbers are really good and for many years he was the only true talent on that offense. the biggest difference between him and russell wilson right now is wilsons team won the super bowl but that was all defense. i know he is not a surefire guy but some guys on here are being unrealistic about the accomplishments of McNabb. 

8 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

He seemed like he was missing that edge, sometimes seeming lackadaisical even in big games. Maybe a bit like Bledsoe?

He was a good player, very good maybe, but not an NFL Hall of Fame caliber player.

Sometimes I think that “edge” is just fans loving to create soap opera storylines 

but McNabb not even knowing the tie rule late in his career I think underscores his casual approach to the most important position in sports. 

Very talented. Won a ton. But hard to embrace a guy like that as an all time great.

On May 24, 2019 at 5:41 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

Troy Aikman Super Bowl wins 3, Donovan McNabb Super Bowl wins 0

Another reason to never use QB stats when comparing careers.  

You're right.  Screw the stats!:

Jeff Hosteler Super Bowl wins 1, Jim Kelly Super Bowl wins 0

12 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The answer to why he failed when out of Philadelphia is pretty obvious-he was done.  Players fall off the face of the earth at different ages.  McNabb just stayed too long after his physical abilities left him.  We've seen this before with players a lot better than McNabb: Namath in Los Angeles, Unitas in San Diego, Archie Manning with Houson & Minnesota.  I can even cite a lesser QB who won a Super Bowl, Jim McMahon who bounced around a few seasons after leaving the Bears and our own Joe Ferguson, who had to have his uniform torn off his back playing 6 more years as a backup with 3 teams well after his prime.  Fergy even tried a stint as a backup 5 years after he left the NFL with San Antonio's CFL Texans coached by Kay Stephenson.  These old QBs just don't know when it's time to hang it up.  

those texts he sent that caused his dismissal from the NFLN were HOF worthy though

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

You're right.  Screw the stats!:

Jeff Hosteler Super Bowl wins 1, Jim Kelly Super Bowl wins 0

Every QB who has started 3 or more Super Bowls is either in the HOF or will be a 1st ballot HOFer (P.Manning & Brady).  The most important thing for a QB is being a consistent winner & a champion, not some stats that some people could use to say Rob Johnson was better than Jim Kelly.  Absolutely-screw QB stats!  A lot of mediocre QBs have 1 Super Bowl, but the greats play in multiple Super Bowls & the GOATS of their time won multiple Supers (post 1966).  

24 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Every QB who has started 3 or more Super Bowls is either in the HOF or will be a 1st ballot HOFer (P.Manning & Brady).  The most important thing for a QB is being a consistent winner & a champion, not some stats that some people could use to say Rob Johnson was better than Jim Kelly.  Absolutely-screw QB stats!  A lot of mediocre QBs have 1 Super Bowl, but the greats play in multiple Super Bowls & the GOATS of their time won multiple Supers (post 1966).  

It's not THAT binary. Rob Johnson had 800 career attempts compared to Kelly's 4800. Nobody has ever, or would ever, claim that Rob Johnson was better than Jim Kelly. Winning matters, but that ultimately requires elements beyond a QB's control. Marino may very well be the best QB of all time. I would say Brady because of the combination of body of work/RINGS. I won't, however, summarily dismiss the stats of guy's who may not have played on championship caliber teams.

15 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Really good QB. Not HOF. 

McNabb wasnt among the best QB’s of his era - Favre, Manning, Brady, Brees

I dunno, that was before all those guys except Favre really got there. They were all chasing the same thing and McNabb came damn close to getting it. TO getting hurt was huge.

The offenses in the nfl also changed toward the end of McNabb's career, and for Brady it was at the peak of his prime.

The Eagles offensive trio was crazy legit in 2005, two years before Brady and Moss. McNabb was a huge, terrifying part of that.  That was the coolest offense I have seen in a long time, now everyone in the league does it. 

He was a complete mold breaker for the time, and the league had not seen a qb like that in my lifetime. Warren Moon and Cunningham were different runners and overall style of play.

Culpepper is like McNabb. Cam Newton is like McNabb. Josh Allen is like McNabb.

Only McNabb managed to reinvent himself as a pocket passer. Remember that? Remember how everyone said he had no chance and they had that offense, after losing in what 3 straight nfc championship games?! And they were all upsets it felt like at least. He was the qb on the best team in the league that went to 3 straight nfc championship games and lost in a one game sample size.

Hopefully Josh Allen can be like Donovan McNabb in a lot of ways. He was the first modern in skill set quarterback...a solid runner who could also throw really well, that again, changed the damn league in a fundamental way. 

Stop looking at the stats. It was a pass happy offense in a non pass happy league. Getting there, but dbs could grab and you could get destroyed across the middle.

I'm not saying definite hall of famer, but a lot of people are blindly saying he was simply good, and that isn't the case.

....anybody venture a guess why?...or is the debate just as fluid among voting writers as it is here, perhaps a marginal candidate?...............

May 24, 2019 | 11:15 AM

"Donovan McNabb has been nominated for the Pro Football Hall of Fame every year since he became eligible in 2017, and all three times he has not made the cut. "