Is Donovan McNabb Hall of Fame Worthy?

Is Donovan McNabb Hall of Fame Worthy?  

231 members have voted

1. 1. McNabb Claims He's HOF worthy, What do you think?

• Yes
    • No
    • Who's he?

5 hours ago, wppete said:

That man talks a lot of Sh*t

Yes, and who goes around saying they belong in the Hall of Fame? It used to be an honor.

10 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Probably not the best litmus test.  The Redskins have a way of picking up greats in the sunset of their careers and expect the guys to be in their prime - Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, Donovan McNabb, Albert Haynesworth.  There is probably more, but those came to mind.

Or Matt Millens obsession with wr's!

This is a great topic; one that could segue into another, related, conversation.

What if McNabb was on the Cowboys?  Hell ... what if Marino or Kelly were on the Cowboys or the Giants?   We judge QBs on wins, losses and post season success (Super Bowls).

Can you imagine Marino with a running game?  Or Kelly with a decent head coach?

Who's to say McNabb, on a better team, wouldn't have been - in our eyes - phenomenal?

I don't think McNabb is a Hall of Famer.  But I do think that, in a better situation, he could have been.

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This is a great topic; one that could segue into another, related, conversation.

What if McNabb was on the Cowboys?  Hell ... what if Marino or Kelly were on the Cowboys or the Giants?   We judge QBs on wins, losses and post season success (Super Bowls).

Can you imagine Marino with a running game?  Or Kelly with a decent head coach?

Who's to say McNabb, on a better team, wouldn't have been - in our eyes - phenomenal?

I don't think McNabb is a Hall of Famer.  But I do think that, in a better situation, he could have been.

Every one of your scenarios changes everything. ex, then Marino wouldn't have thrown as much . You can't alter history and say a "what if" However I understand what your saying.

Edited by Mike in Horseheads
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

He was throwing to James Trash and Todd Stinkson for much of his career, so he gets a slight pass. Hall of Famer? Absolutely not. McNabb is the personification of a "good" quarterback. Nothing exceptional about his career.

Agree - - - absolutely NO

No McNabb was a very good qb alex Smith like ..but no he was not a hall of fame qb and him quoting numbers without context is really disingenuous..aikman is in the hall of fame due to his playoff prowess just like Terry Bradshaw ..Ryan Fitzpatrick also has more TDS then aikman for reference 

2 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Do you guys think Big Ben is a HOFer?  I think he and McNabb had basically the same level of impact on a game. 

Ben is better than McNabb was plus the two superbowls get him in ..not saying Ben is superb but he's much more accurate then McNabb was imo

9 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Even with a SB win you don't get in by just for being above average.  Phil Simms was SB XXI MVP and played most of the season on another champion and will never get in.  

It does.

and countering this, Dan Fouts never played in a Super Bowl but was enshrined his 1st year of eligibility. Playoffs/SBs/teammates are considered -don’t think they’re not, but it’s mainly Eye Test. Fouts passed the Eye Test as a threat to score on every drive. Donovan didn’t.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Do you guys think Big Ben is a HOFer?  I think he and McNabb had basically the same level of impact on a game. 

Donovan McNabb couldn’t carry Big Ben’s jockstrap.

• Like (+1) 4

I really liked him in Philly and thought he was a difference maker who won games a mediocre Eagles team should have lost. The nagging question for me is why did he fail so badly once he left Philly? He was terrible in Washington and Minnesota. If had succeeded on more than one team I'd consider him.

I am not a fan of Aikman in the HOF either. Kerry Collins could have won 3 SBs on those Cowboy teams

Nah. I’d say he falls somewhere between Drew Bledsoe and Alex Smith. Pretty good player. Team won a lot. Was a pretty big part of the reason the team won. One of the 5-10 best QBs in that decade of his prime. Crossed paths with hall of fame QBs on both ends of his career so he was never really THE best of the best. Not hall of fame IMO. Not really even that close if I’m being completely honest. Unfortunately you didn’t want to be a fringe guy right before the passing numbers exploded because history is going to forget you. 

• Like (+1) 3

I actually went and looked at the list of QBs in the HoF from the modern era and it really hit me with how short the list is. After viewing it, he really doesn’t stack up as a Hall of Famer. He possibly could have been if he had made things work with TO, but after the team suspended TO Donovan’s career was forgettable.

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

I really liked him in Philly and thought he was a difference maker who won games a mediocre Eagles team should have lost. The nagging question for me is why did he fail so badly once he left Philly? He was terrible in Washington and Minnesota. If had succeeded on more than one team I'd consider him.

I am not a fan of Aikman in the HOF either. Kerry Collins could have won 3 SBs on those Cowboy teams

The answer to why he failed when out of Philadelphia is pretty obvious-he was done.  Players fall off the face of the earth at different ages.  McNabb just stayed too long after his physical abilities left him.  We've seen this before with players a lot better than McNabb: Namath in Los Angeles, Unitas in San Diego, Archie Manning with Houson & Minnesota.  I can even cite a lesser QB who won a Super Bowl, Jim McMahon who bounced around a few seasons after leaving the Bears and our own Joe Ferguson, who had to have his uniform torn off his back playing 6 more years as a backup with 3 teams well after his prime.  Fergy even tried a stint as a backup 5 years after he left the NFL with San Antonio's CFL Texans coached by Kay Stephenson.  These old QBs just don't know when it's time to hang it up.