Is Donovan McNabb Hall of Fame Worthy?

Is Donovan McNabb Hall of Fame Worthy?  

231 members have voted

1. 1. McNabb Claims He's HOF worthy, What do you think?

• Yes
    • No
    • Who's he?

1 hour ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Can't get him throwing passed in the dirt during his last playoff game. No thanks DM

Can't get past him puking on the field during what could've been a Super Bowl game-winning drive.

• Like (+1) 2

I hate that this will eventually break down into a racial conversation. Dude, I am and always will be a big McNabb fan and if he could have won even ONE Super Bowl, this conversation might be different. No, he's not HOF worthy. 

37 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

He was throwing to James Trash and Todd Stinkson for much of his career, so he gets a slight pass. Hall of Famer? Absolutely not. McNabb is the personification of a "good" quarterback. Nothing exceptional about his career.

I'd go as far as to say he's a lot better than just "good" but just not "good" enough to reach that next level. 

Just now, rodneykm said:

I hate that this will eventually break down into a racial conversation. Dude, I am and always will be a big McNabb fan and if he could have won even ONE Super Bowl, this conversation might be different. No, he's not HOF worthy. 

Why would it be racial? He was good, I have no clue what his numbers look like. I think that’s where his HOF hopes are as with any QB who isn’t winning multiple SBs.

2 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

I'd go as far as to say he's a lot better than just "good" but just not "good" enough to reach that next level. 

He averaged roughly 23 TD's and 10 picks a season in a pass happy Andy Reid offense. He was a solid runner, but he also took a ton of sacks behind a decent line. Much of that can be attributed to his subpar offensive weapons, but he held on to the ball way too long for my taste.

Maybe better than good all things considered, but not a HOF'er. Fair or not, a Superbowl win would probably give him a stronger case, so I agree with you there.

14 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

Let us all hope we can all  be above that.  

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

With a lot of these guys, I have no idea of what their overall stats were. I just go by how I remember the player, what I saw when I watched them play and whether I remember them dominating much.

Have to say my first thought to McNabb was 'absolutely not'. 

Though there are a few guys who are in the HOF that I don't think should necessarily. To me the HOF should be for the absolute best of the best. He definitely ain't that.

52 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

You need to have a downright amazing career if you don't have a Superbowl win. 

Even with a SB win you don't get in by just for being above average.  Phil Simms was SB XXI MVP and played most of the season on another champion and will never get in.  

43 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Voted no.  McNabb was very good, but not HOF worthy.  I don't think being in/not being in or winning/losing a SB matters.

It does.

Come on, seriously??

Now, he certainly belongs in the Hall of Guys Who Had Reasonably Good Success Over A Reasonably Long Career But Never Really Stood Out Or Matched The Top Guys Of His Era.

2006 McNabb is a first ballot HOFer. The fact that he was bad longer than he was good keeps him out.

17 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Come on, seriously??

Now, he certainly belongs in the Hall of Guys Who Had Reasonably Good Success Over A Reasonably Long Career But Never Really Stood Out Or Matched The Top Guys Of His Era.

McNabb was a top 5 QB from 2000-2005.

Reluctant no for me but while I think he was really good, I wouldn't say he was quite at the level of HOF.  Say what you want about Andy Reid, there is no way the Eagles would have been as good as they were in the early 2000s if it wasn't for DM.

46 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Don't ask Dan Snyder.

Probably not the best litmus test.  The Redskins have a way of picking up greats in the sunset of their careers and expect the guys to be in their prime - Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, Donovan McNabb, Albert Haynesworth.  There is probably more, but those came to mind.

• Like (+1) 1