How Bills adjustments in second half of 2018 set Allen up to unleash his potential

8 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

I feel this way too.  When I first started watching football (before becoming a Bill's fan), Favre was my favorite player.  He had this child-like enthusiasm for the game and deep rooted desire to win.  I see the same traits in Josh and couldn't be happier to have him as our QB.

I don’t know if anyone else follows the nba but the beer chugging contest at the Raptors-Bucks game was hilarious between Rodgers (Fail) and Bakhtiari — then Matt Stafford killed it on Instagram. Out of the AFCE QBs I definitely pick Allen to win that contest lol

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

If KB could catch it would have been slightly more successful, but as of now our only guy like that is Duke Williams. We will see if he can earn a roster spot. 

Do you have any sense of where D Williams is speed wise when compared to Benjamin? Benjamin is definitely bigger than Williams 6''5" vs 6"3" and by the time he hit the Bills I am sure he was at least 15-20 lbs heavier than Williams. I am certainly hoping NO Bills receiver is comparable to the KB the Bills acquired (before that injury at Carolina he was at least pretty good). 

1 hour ago, Forward Progress said:

This is really shaping up to be an offense that can hit you at every level.

1. Deep Throws

• We all know how dangerous Josh's arm was with Foster as the deep threat last year.  
  • Add a speedier speedster with better route running in Brown and our deep game has to be respected.

2. Underneath Throws

• This was not a strength last year, but I believe will be a point of emphasis through the off-season
  • Adding Beasley who can gain separation underneath from the slot, Josh has a safety valve

3. Running Game

• Our RB running game was non-existent last year
  • With the improvements on the offensive line, our running game has to be better
  • I think Gore is the short-yardage and goal-line RB and will do a great job
  • Does Shady re-emerge with running lanes and two safeties forced to play deep?  

4. QB Scramble

• Josh runs like Adrian Peterson
  • I don't want to see a lot of designed QB runs - just enough to force the defense to prepare for one more look
  • Josh's best runs came when the play broke down and Josh took the yards that were available

In summary, the defenses that we face need two safeties to defend the big play, leaving 7 in the box to defend against the run, short routes by the TE and slot receiver and spy allen who can break a big run if nothing is open.  With Josh's arm and WR speed, the defense has to defend the entire field.  This will be an offense built upon taking whatever the defense gives us, because they can't defend everything.  

For the pessimists out there (i know you get uncomfortable when sleep through the night), there are some elements to Josh's game to need to develop...

1. Diagnosing the Defense

• Taking what the Defense gives means that you have to know what you're being given
  • Pre and Post-snap reads will be critical

2.  Red Zone Offense

• The windows get tighter, so Josh need to through with anticipation and fit the ball into smaller windows

Overall I'm more excited about Bill's football than I have been in 20 years.  Let's just start the season already.

....nicely done and good call bud......when have we had a multiple front offense that can beat you in a multitude of ways?...perhaps back to the Marchibroda era for starters?....sure as hell looks like personnel wise (ok, so far on paper) that we can be that diversified....stay tuned............

“His arm started to become a major factor.” 

Damn straight. You can’t teach what he’s got in the arm talent department. 

I give Daboll a ton of credit. He really used Allen’s injury time to tinker and teach. He started forcing the issue not only by adding speed after Allen returned,  but by dictating coverages with different personnel groups and formations as well. I’m hoping we run more out of spread formations this year as Shady should feast with the added space and guys up front that can sustain blocks. 

So psyched for next season.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

If KB could catch it would have been slightly more successful, but as of now our only guy like that is Duke Williams. We will see if he can earn a roster spot. 

I think the problem with KB was lack of effort. What I read was that they saw success with WR with physical abilities like speed. From what I’ve read about Duke Williams is that his physical ability is his strength. He appears to play with nastiness. He is going to be interesting to watch in camp.

12 minutes ago, BubbaT said:

Do you have any sense of where D Williams is speed wise when compared to Benjamin? Benjamin is definitely bigger than Williams 6''5" vs 6"3" and by the time he hit the Bills I am sure he was at least 15-20 lbs heavier than Williams. I am certainly hoping NO Bills receiver is comparable to the KB the Bills acquired (before that injury at Carolina he was at least pretty good). 

I don’t know what he runs, and he’s not as big as KB, but he’s that “type” of WR where he needs to gain separation with size/catch radius/contested catches/bodying DBs vs speed or precise route running. Those types - Dez Bryant as an example) can be successful but they need to be really good at what they do. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know what he runs, and he’s not as big as KB, but he’s that “type” of WR where he needs to gain separation with size/catch radius/contested catches/bodying DBs vs speed or precise route running. Those types - Dez Bryant as an example) can be successful but they need to be really good at what they do. 

From the Duke videos I’ve seen, he doesn’t get great separation but he tracks the ball very well to adjust his route to the ball and has a great catch radius as he can high point the ball with perfectly timed jumps and has great hands outside the frame of his body. 

I think brings a skill set unique from the other receivers, but may not be the perfect match with Allen who has been more comfortable with “college-open” receivers. 

I like Williams as a red zone threat. 

Edited by Forward Progress
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Article fails to emphasize how important it was that Foster turned his game around. TheBills got an absolute steal in him. 

No kidding! He just did not look like the same guy by the end of the year! He actually looked like an NFL WR at the end. Hopefully that progress keeps up. 

The Bills gave up on KB and the older WR's and just rolled with the younger faster players at WR. It helped to space the field and get Allen more open players to throw to. It better utilized Allen's skills and power arm. I think that with Brown joining Foster and Zay there is plenty speed at the WR position. Toss in Cole who adds a tough crafty WR in the slot and I think Allen really has a much better set of receivers to throw to. 

I really do hope they pull of a trade for Kyle Rudolph. Rudolph and Cole would help Allen make those easy throws over the middle and in the short range. 

12 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Or when all else fails, just tuck it and run and dive from the five for the pylon like Superman :D

Seriously Detroit was watching him so damn close after he'd done it at least 4 times in previous games and he still did it anyway.

• Like (+1) 2

It's refreshing to have a staff that isn't opposed to making adjustments we haven't had a staff like that here in buffalo in a long time. Getting rid of KB was huge..horrible entitled attitude and speed of a tight end at wr position .I really see Josh having a nice jump this year..he should be able to atleast match trubiskys rise or hopefully surpass and if our defence plays to it's standards we could be heading back to the postseason 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Seriously Detroit was watching him so damn close after he'd done it at least 4 times in previous games and he still did it anyway.

He may have parts of his game that need to improve, but the kid is a BALLER. He has that fun, "will to win" mentality that you want in a QB. You know it's real when fans of division rivals point that out. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The Bills gave up on KB and the older WR's and just rolled with the younger faster players at WR. It helped to space the field and get Allen more open players to throw to. It better utilized Allen's skills and power arm. I think that with Brown joining Foster and Zay there is plenty speed at the WR position. Toss in Cole who adds a tough crafty WR in the slot and I think Allen really has a much better set of receivers to throw to. 

I really do hope they pull of a trade for Kyle Rudolph. Rudolph and Cole would help Allen make those easy throws over the middle and in the short range. 

THIS was the post I was looking for in the thread! Except it isn’t.. Fantastic videos from cover 1 and spoiler of Simms cbs special, plus outstanding takes from veteran and new posters -all understandably encouraged by what we’re witnessing. Brown & Foster giving Safeties nightmares, Beasley and Zay squirreling underneath, Spread opening up running lanes vs just 6 plus a Spy -at best- in the box.

But nothing about Tight End.

Certainly understandable, given the Bills have had a grand total of Nothing about Tight End in their history.

Rudolph? Fuggetaboutit. We have no need for a 9 yr vet who’s only good. The team has likely committed more serious attention to the position than any other and it’s flying under the radar. The OL signings are mostly short term, team friendly deals. We dumped Clay with an already bare cupboard. Signed Kroft early simply because he was there and a need they had to fill. Then they bound up Big draft capital to jump up and grab Knox, who they obviously favor immensely for his athleticism and football IQ. “He doesn’t ask any questions in the huddle, because he knows the play and what he’s supposed to do”- J. Allen. Then added Sweeney in the 7th. Don’t discount the kid cuz he’s a second, 7th round pick. The Bills were stunned by players they had rated who didn’t get drafted and immediately went and signed them (2WRS, TE, among others). Then re-signed Lee Smith.

I don’t even now HOW Daboll is going to implement Knox in the offense, though I absolutely believe he’ll be starting soon enough and possibly for years to come. Again, Brown & Foster taking off the top. Beasley, Zay & or Shady in the slots. Gore, Singletary or TJ Yeldon swinging out of the backfield. Where else can a player play? We don’t know cuz we’ve never seen. But a big, talented, smart TE loping around ‘somewhere’ will be a 1st Down machine if not racing up the wide open middle of the field with only endzone fanatics jumping and screaming ahead!

I can’t wait to get this year started!

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well Yolo, he tore it up in Canada, so I’m pulling for the same.  We do now have enough TE’s to compete for other red zone threats.  It should be a fun year.

• Like (+1) 1