Some more Ed Oliver titbits

13 hours ago, Augie said:

I agree, but he has to prove he can handle the role if they make him a bullseye and just run right at him. I think with his quickness he will (hopefully) be able to disrupt what goes right at him, because I think he’ll chase down a LOT of what goes away from him. (But I’m the optimistic type! ?

Then hopefully our oversized MLB splatters the RB.

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

If Oliver bulked up for the Combine, he didn’t let it slow him down! His quicks be freaky! 

Yeah.  At 2# heavier, he bested Donald in everything but the bench.  But he put up 32 and 3 off of Donald isn't much.  He's plenty strong and t's not like they'll be bench-pressing players.

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah.  At 2# heavier, he bested Donald in everything but the bench.  But he put up 32 and 3 off of Donald isn't much.  He's plenty strong and t's not like they'll be bench-pressing players.

When considering the bench number, it's important to take arm length into account. Shorter arms are a distinct advantage in the bench, so Oliver's number should be higher than Donald's if their functional strength were equal (since his arms are 3/4" shorter). 

So there's probably a bit more of a gap in functional strength between the two players, but keep in mind that Donald was a year and a half older than Oliver when he went through testing, and that can make a big difference for a guy that young.

• Like (+1) 3

On 5/24/2019 at 12:23 PM, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

most likely to bust...Ed Oliver, defensive tackle, Houston...yeah okay dave holcomb, I'll really take your word for it...yardbarker, LOL

I don’t think Ed Oliver could bust if he tried....dude just plays on fire, with the heart of a lion...guys like that simply will themselves to win at all cost.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/25/2019 at 2:01 AM, mrags said:

Donald consistently plays at 285. Where as Oliver played about 15lbs less. He bulked up to 285 for combine purposes. Then started to slim down again. 

Nobody is saying that it cannot be done. But comparing Oliver to Donald is just plain stupid. Donald is the exception, not the rule. He was looked at as undersized by everyone as well. U til he started dominating. Nobody is saying Oliver can’t be that. But at 285lbs or less as a DT in the Nfl, the odds are against him. 

How does anyone know at what weight Oliver played at (in his senior year at least)?  He's listed at 292# on the Houston Cougar website, which is obviously high, and listed at 287#, which was his Combine weight, on the Bills' roster.

7 hours ago, Doc said:

How does anyone know at what weight Oliver played at (in his senior year at least)?  He's listed at 292# on the Houston Cougar website, which is obviously high, and listed at 287#, which was his Combine weight, on the Bills' roster.

Because I’m a paid observer and I know that he doesn’t weigh 292

21 minutes ago, mrags said:

Because I’m a paid observer and I know that he doesn’t weigh 292

I agreed that he didn't weight 292#.  But your answer would be "from observation"?

Edited by Doc

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

I agreed that he didn't weight 292#.  But your answer would be from observation?

If we can agree that he didn’t weigh 292# then we can agree they falsified his weight throughout his college career. If that’s the case I can’t take 285# seriously either. 

He weighed in at 285 for the combine and I would bet my measly state paycheck that he “bulked up” for the combine. That he didn’t play near that. It’s been my belief the whole time that he’s undersized. He’s not even close to what Donald looks like in a uniform. Which tells me he’s more like 275 or maybe under. 

For those that think 10-20lbs doesn’t mean a lot when your talking about offensive or defensive line play, your wrong. It does. Again, we’ve argued this over and over again, that doesn’t mean that can’t be, or won’t be good. It’s possible. There’s always Aaron Donald who proves that. But that is the exception, and not the rule. For every 1 Aaron Donald, there are 900 nobody’s that are out of the league in less than 2-3 years because they couldn’t ever step up to the pro game. 

I really hope im wrong. I want to be wrong. I’m routing for Oliver. I want him to be dominant. I will cheer for him when he makes big plays, And I won’t rub it in if he can’t take that step. But this is my opinion on it and that won’t change. I’m not going to say I said so if everyone else is wrong and I’m right. I’ll be upset just like everyone else that he didn’t make it. But I won’t make excuses for him. He was a top 10 pick and he’s supposed to be a very good player at the very least. I expect that. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/24/2019 at 11:33 AM, BillsFan17 said:

Its funny, that we still use measurables to translate success. Yes, you want the athletics to mesh with off the chart measurables... however, we have seen the league transition and have seen all types of players flourish.

I mean, Aaron Donald was undersized for his position when drafted, until he wasnt because of his dominant play. 

End of the day, quality players will shine regardless.

all about the Coaches in these matters.
Have to put him in the best place to succeed . One thing about Oliver is i think you can move him around.

On 5/25/2019 at 11:05 AM, formerlyofCtown said:

Then hopefully our oversized MLB splatters the RB.

I’m all for that! He seems more of an arm tackler than a splatterer so far, but those long arms seem to knock a lot of balls loose. Hope to see him light some guys up next year. LOVE his upside! 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, mrags said:

If we can agree that he didn’t weigh 292# then we can agree they falsified his weight throughout his college career. If that’s the case I can’t take 285# seriously either. 

He weighed in at 285 for the combine and I would bet my measly state paycheck that he “bulked up” for the combine. That he didn’t play near that. It’s been my belief the whole time that he’s undersized. He’s not even close to what Donald looks like in a uniform. Which tells me he’s more like 275 or maybe under. 

For those that think 10-20lbs doesn’t mean a lot when your talking about offensive or defensive line play, your wrong. It does. Again, we’ve argued this over and over again, that doesn’t mean that can’t be, or won’t be good. It’s possible. There’s always Aaron Donald who proves that. But that is the exception, and not the rule. For every 1 Aaron Donald, there are 900 nobody’s that are out of the league in less than 2-3 years because they couldn’t ever step up to the pro game. 

I really hope im wrong. I want to be wrong. I’m routing for Oliver. I want him to be dominant. I will cheer for him when he makes big plays, And I won’t rub it in if he can’t take that step. But this is my opinion on it and that won’t change. I’m not going to say I said so if everyone else is wrong and I’m right. I’ll be upset just like everyone else that he didn’t make it. But I won’t make excuses for him. He was a top 10 pick and he’s supposed to be a very good player at the very least. I expect that. 

If he is doing it then so is Aaron Donald

46 minutes ago, mrags said:

John Randle played DT at 6'1 247. While players have gotten much bigger since the 1990's, I'd say 275 is still > than 247. EO could be John Randle or a complete BUST, but it seems silly to summarily dismiss the guy based on his weight.

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

Sure he probably bulked-up for the Combine to (actually) 287#.  It didn't seem to affect his athleticism as he still bested Donald's (just talking) numbers, except for 40-yard dash (meaningless for a DL but just 0.04 second off) and bench press, which was still an impressive 32 (tied for 7th overall and 3rd among DL, versus 35).  And mind you, he is 1-1/2 years younger/less physically mature than Donald was at his Combine.  I'd be concerned if he bulked-up and fell below Donald, which is the measuring stick for a guy like Oliver.

Whether he can keep at 287# remains to be seen.  But a few pounds lighter won't make much of a difference.

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

John Randle played DT at 6'1 247. While players have gotten much bigger since the 1990's, I'd say 275 is still > than 247. EO could be John Randle or a complete BUST, but it seems silly to summarily dismiss the guy based on his weight.

I realize it was DE and not DT, obviously, but what was Bruce listed at and what was his actual weight? I don’t think they ever came clean on that, but it worked out OK. 

I think in the new NFL Mr Ed and his style/weight will be just fine. It’s smart teams like the Patriots that pound you when you go light to battle against a passing offense. Those might be tough games for our prized rookie. Hoping for the best. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Doc said:

Sure he probably bulked-up for the Combine to (actually) 287#.  It didn't seem to affect his athleticism as he still bested Donald's (just talking) numbers, except for 40-yard dash (meaningless for a DL but just 0.04 second off) and bench press, which was still an impressive 32 (tied for 7th overall and 3rd among DL, versus 35).  And mind you, he is 1-1/2 years younger/less physically mature than Donald was at his Combine.  I'd be concerned if he bulked-up and fell below Donald, which is the measuring stick for a guy like Oliver.

Whether he can keep at 287# remains to be seen.  But a few pounds lighter won't make much of a difference.

I agree 100% with all of it. And like I said and will continue to say. I’m pulling for him. I really like the kid as a person and want him to dominate. I really hope he does. I feel like his personality and work ethic may take him there. At least I hope so. 

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Again for the 1,000 time, that is a guy that is an exception. Not the rule. For every 1 Randle or Donald, there are hundreds of guys that don’t make it because they cannot  transition to the nfl based on size, speed, weight, agility, etc. 

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

If he is doing it then so is Aaron Donald

Donald has been listed by the nfl as 285. His playing weight. Oliver barely had that for his combine. He didn’t play at 285. 

Listen guys, 

i know I’m in the minority of everyone here thinking Donald is too small, and not big enough to play DT in the NFL. Again, you guys are comparing him to not only players that have made it in the league, but some of the best ever or better ones to play in the last 20 years. I mean, cmon. You cannot even begin to compare Oliver to any of these guys that have proven themselves in the nfl, based in similar size. Yes, they/he can play DT in the league at a smaller size. But you can not argue at all that DTs in the league generally play closer to the 300lb mark. It’s just a fact. The vast majority of them are closer or over 300lbs and it wouldn’t even be close. 

I really hope he produces for a long time. Lest stop arguing about it based on you all comparing him to Hall of Fame and potential future Hall of Fame players in Randle and Donald. I can’t think of any players names that played at under 285 that were not successful. Why?... because nobody remembers them, they were that forgettable. Busts happen all the time. People knocked Maybin for similar reasons, because he was too small to play the position. Look how that turned out. 

Lets just all hope he plays well and lives up to some lofty expectations. 

3 minutes ago, mrags said:

I agree 100% with all of it. And like I said and will continue to say. I’m pulling for him. I really like the kid as a person and want him to dominate. I really hope he does. I feel like his personality and work ethic may take him there. At least I hope so. 

Again for the 1,000 time, that is a guy that is an exception. Not the rule. For every 1 Randle or Donald, there are hundreds of guys that don’t make it because they cannot  transition to the nfl based on size, speed, weight, agility, etc. 

Donald has been listed by the nfl as 285. His playing weight. Oliver barely had that for his combine. He didn’t play at 285. 

Listen guys, 

i know I’m in the minority of everyone here thinking Donald is too small, and not big enough to play DT in the NFL. Again, you guys are comparing him to not only players that have made it in the league, but some of the best ever or better ones to play in the last 20 years. I mean, cmon. You cannot even begin to compare Oliver to any of these guys that have proven themselves in the nfl, based in similar size. Yes, they/he can play DT in the league at a smaller size. But you can not argue at all that DTs in the league generally play closer to the 300lb mark. It’s just a fact. The vast majority of them are closer or over 300lbs and it wouldn’t even be close. 

I really hope he produces for a long time. Lest stop arguing about it based on you all comparing him to Hall of Fame and potential future Hall of Fame players in Randle and Donald. I can’t think of any players names that played at under 285 that were not successful. Why?... because nobody remembers them, they were that forgettable. Busts happen all the time. People knocked Maybin for similar reasons, because he was too small to play the position. Look how that turned out. 

I am actually not arguing about the performance....which needs to be proven at the NFL level

I am arguing about the fact that ppl think it is ok to list Donald's weight as fact.....but that Oliver's weight is obviously inflated and being lied about.......they of similar biulds.....a lot of physical attributes and playing styles and it is totally possible that Donalds weight is inflated weight numbers.

In the end....its about the production.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

Listen guys, 

It’s all good. Different points of view are what this is all about, and I don’t claim to “know” anything. The game is changing. The league has adjusted the rules to make it easier to pass and score. You have to defend against that style. Could Milano have been an effective LB 20 years ago? Doubt it. The same shift will happen on the DLine. Adjust and evolve.

Again, the smart teams will take advantage of this by pounding it on you, as the Pats* did. You just have to stay ahead of the game, and I think we have a smart group leading our team right now. 

• Thank you (+1) 1