Some more Ed Oliver titbits

41 minutes ago, Augie said:

I realize it was DE and not DT, obviously, but what was Bruce listed at and what was his actual weight? I don’t think they ever came clean on that, but it worked out OK. 

I think in the new NFL Mr Ed and his style/weight will be just fine. It’s smart teams like the Patriots that pound you when you go light to battle against a passing offense. Those might be tough games for our prized rookie. Hoping for the best. 

Smith came into the league at over 300 pounds and only became effective/all time great once he trimmed down to 265. He still LOOKED 265 to me.

As to EO, how many guys that size have EVER demonstrated the short area quickness he possesses? The answer may be zero. Not quite sure. Holding up against the run will likely never be a major strength, but he can make up for it by tracking ballcarriers away from his side as well as getting after the QB. If Edmunds becomes what he's expected to become, you'll be fine in power run situations. The 1T in this defense is the guy clogging the line for the LB's AND the 3T to make plays.

For clarification; I was not implying that EO will ever be John Randle or Aaron Donald. But I'd challenge anyone to find a DT with that combination of size/athleticism if we're talking historical precedent. While AD and JR may represent anomalies, so too does EO's raw talent.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Smith came into the league at over 300 pounds and only became effective/all time great once he trimmed down to 265. 

As to EO, how many guys that size have EVER demonstrated the short area quickness he possesses? The answer may be zero. Not quite sure. Holding up against the run will likely never be a major strength, but he can make up for it by tracking ballcarriers away from his side as well as getting after the QB. If Edmunds becomes what he's expected to become, you'll be fine in power run situations. The 1T in this defense is the guy clogging the line for the LB's AND the 3T to make plays.

For clarification; I was not implying that EO will ever be John Randle or Aaron Donald. But I'd challenge anyone to find a DT with that combination of size/athleticism if we're talking historical precedent. While AD and JR may represent anomalies, so too does EO's raw talent.

After Bruce got over his early chubbiness, word was he played below his listed 267#. I obviously have no way of knowing his actual weight, nor do I know what Donald weighs. 

I’m hoping the new NFL plays into the hands of a DT with the freaky quicks of a very good RB or WR. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

The fact that EO has that unique combination of size and athleticism is the primary reason for optimism about his pro career with Buffalo.  Because offensive linemen don't face guys like him every week, they won't have a handle on how to deal with him.

21 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I am actually not arguing about the performance....which needs to be proven at the NFL level

I am arguing about the fact that ppl think it is ok to list Donald's weight as fact.....but that Oliver's weight is obviously inflated and being lied about.......they of similar biulds.....a lot of physical attributes and playing styles and it is totally possible that Donalds weight is inflated weight numbers.

In the end....its about the production.

so it is all about weightgate.

On 5/26/2019 at 5:34 PM, LSHMEAB said:

John Randle played DT at 6'1 247. While players have gotten much bigger since the 1990's, I'd say 275 is still > than 247. EO could be John Randle or a complete BUST, but it seems silly to summarily dismiss the guy based on his weight.

Randle came out of college at 247 but was well into the 270’s and 280’s by the time he broke through. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Randle came out of college at 247 but was well into the 270’s and 280’s by the time he broke through. 

Weird that a quick google search of his size would list him at his weight coming out of college. Doesn't change my opinion of EO, but good info.

On 5/24/2019 at 11:33 AM, BillsFan17 said:

Its funny, that we still use measurables to translate success. Yes, you want the athletics to mesh with off the chart measurables... however, we have seen the league transition and have seen all types of players flourish.

I mean, Aaron Donald was undersized for his position when drafted, until he wasnt because of his dominant play. 

End of the day, quality players will shine regardless.

No *****! Analytics is a tool, not the end result!