Some more Ed Oliver titbits

6 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

You're probably right, and I think his combine weight is probably his ceiling.  That said, this is a very individualized issue.  Some players can carry more weight without it affecting quickness.  Some can't.  You never really know without doing some experimenting.

It's probably his ceiling weight right now, but remember, he's 21 years old.  He's almost certainly going to fill out as he matures, and don't discount the difference between NFL strength and conditioning and college.

49 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Well that certainly is a arguement that cannot be countered seeing as how Oliver has not played a down in the NFL yet.

I am going to say that a extremely productive DT playing out of position in college that is drafted in a year where the DL was supposed to be the strong point of the draft...the chances are pretty good that Oliver might be a pretty good player.

You could say that Quinnen Williams played on a stacked Alabama line.......and comes into the NFL and struggles just as easily

Both of your points are true about Oliver & Williams.

Nobody knows exactly how things will work out with Oliver. Personally, I think he has the talent to be a very good player in the NFL, and I have confidence in our coaching staff that they will use him in a manner where he will be most effective.

What helps him is  in today's NFL there is a LOT of rotation at the D line. Being "light" will hurt him at times... and painfully hurt at times too. No sugar coating it. And pushing against bigger guys is tiring. But with his quickness, getting from age 21 to 25, rotation, he could be a real good one. 

I kind of like this thread. I too want him to be a "95% Aaron Donald" and sure hope that pans out, but I 'm kind of baffled at how so many people anoint him already as an improvement over a proven Pro Bowler. Yes Kyle was on a big decline but let the rookie prove himself!

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I certainly dont think so

Size is not everything for those athletes that have elite speed, power, and leverage (and perhaps PEDS).

Granted he played mostly at end, but they would move him around and I remember being floored watching a 265 lb Aldon Smith when he came into the league.

When he 1st came into the league and at times the 49ers would move him inside or have him twist inside on a stunt and he would still forklift and bullrush o-linemen where he was giving up 40-50 lbs.

Of course Aldon was bat-$hit crazy and maybe there were PEDS involved because he just could not stop carrying guns, assaulting folks with knives, multiple DUI's, airport bomb threats, biting his fiancee then violating a restraining order and falsely imprisoning her.....yada yada.

Just doing the usual things that normal folk do.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

That third one is my worry. NFL guards are just going to decimate the guy. He's REALLY light.

But he's got talent you can teach.  You can, however, bulk up a guy, and teach him technique.  

Ultimately, it's going to come down to the coaches using him right, either preparing him off the field for his position, or preparing the game plan on the field for his abilities.  It's pretty certain, though, that he's not another Maybin.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WideNine said:

"I don't understand the people that say, 'Hey, this is our scheme and that guy can't play in it,' a guy that can play, and is a good player, but, 'He can't play in our scheme.' To me, there's something wrong with your scheme," Phillips said. "You adapt the scheme to what the players can do, not what you can think of."

- Wade Phillips

Like in Buffalo, when head the linebacking corps decimated one week, and in five days switched the defensive scheme from a 3-4 to a 4-3 to compensate, and steam-rolled the Dolphins.

This is why Wade is the best DC ever.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Probably.  More guys do than don't.  Clearly though, it's easier for some than others.  The only reason I bring the issue up is that comments have been made by various individuals, including Ed Oliver's college coach questioning Oliver's ability to maintain a weight over 280.  His game is more about quickness than leverage.  He's so fast at the snap that offensive linemen find themselves struggling to regain position  from the get go.  He demonstrated good strength though at the combine.  The quickness off the snap is the main reason I'm optimistic about his potential in the Bills' defense.

I disagree.  His game is about quickness and leverage.  

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Like in Buffalo, when head the linebacking corps decimated one week, and in five days switched the defensive scheme from a 3-4 to a 4-3 to compensate, and steam-rolled the Dolphins.

This is why Wade is the best DC ever.  

....damn right....and STILL going strong at 71.....him and Dick LeBeau (80+) defy all odds.....maybe not HC material, but find better at defenses and I'll go back under my rock....good Lord don't tell me Blowhard Buddy..........

Ed-Oliver-knows-Bills-Mafia-jumps-throug

5 things to know about Buffalo Bills rookie Ed Oliver

Many among Bills Mafia were surprised that Ed Oliver, a player many considered to be a top-five pick, fell to the team at No. 9 overall. After dominating AAC competition at the University of Houston for three seasons and ranking as their best recruit ever as a five-star, the defensive lineman found himself in Western New York, on a team that will use his services well.

1. He’s raw, but he should make an impact day-one

At this point, we know Oliver is an athletic marvel, and he was used correctly at college, yet remained productive. But, he’s raw. He needs to learn how to disengage blocks on a more timely fashion, and his only pass-rushing move appears to be a bull-rush. However, that doesn’t mean he won’t be effective early on.

Oliver should make an impact for the Bills as an interior run-stuffer immediately. His unusual combination of power, quickness, and flexibility will make him a match up nightmare for offensive guards and tackles alike. Frankly, his run-stuffing should be able to translate well immediately.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

5 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Both of your points are true about Oliver & Williams.

Nobody knows exactly how things will work out with Oliver. Personally, I think he has the talent to be a very good player in the NFL, and I have confidence in our coaching staff that they will use him in a manner where he will be most effective.

I can see an argument that they were the two best players in the draft. (I know Bosa and other have huge upside, but I like the idea of interior pressure as we go to a shorter, precision passing game.)  Williams is bigger, but no telling who will have the better career. Oliver has that explosion. I’m just excited to see some football!!!

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t think anyone is concerned about his ability to bring pressure.

He’ll be tested pretty early against the run:

week 2 - Giants

week 4 - Patriots

week 5 - Titans

Be surprised if they don’t go right at him.

....... just getting an early start on hating the Patriots.

Oliver will be everything we wanted Dareus to be , plus some. Kid is a straight beast. He's going to make an immediate impact imo

47 minutes ago, Augie said:

I can see an argument that they were the two best players in the draft. (I know Bosa and other have huge upside, but I like the idea of interior pressure as we go to a shorter, precision passing game.)  Williams is bigger, but no telling who will have the better career. Oliver has that explosion. I’m just excited to see some football!!!

Oliver is going to be playing a role where he has more opportunities than Williams to get sacks and TFL

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Oliver will be everything we wanted Dareus to be , plus some. Kid is a straight beast. He's going to make an immediate impact imo

Oliver is going to be playing a role where he has more opportunities than Williams to get sacks and TFL

I agree, but he has to prove he can handle the role if they make him a bullseye and just run right at him. I think with his quickness he will (hopefully) be able to disrupt what goes right at him, because I think he’ll chase down a LOT of what goes away from him. (But I’m the optimistic type! ?

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I agree, but he has to prove he can handle the role if they make him a bullseye and just run right at him. I think with his quickness he will (hopefully) be able to disrupt what goes right at him, because I think he’ll chase down a LOT of what goes away from him. (But I’m the optimistic type! ?

Yeah he'll def be tested n I just think he's a natural and just the way he dominated college OL at nose tackle , I expect big things in this scheme..

Also feel Harrison Phillips is the real deal . He'll make a big jump.. We'll have a nasty DT rotation.

Ed Oliver is the prototypical DT for the new NFL. It’s nice to see the Bills being progressive for once. It would not surprise me at all if he created QB pressure similar to Donald and Watt.

Edited by billspro
  • Thank you (+1) 1