Some more Ed Oliver titbits

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It would be great to just have a player play the position we drafted him for.  Seems there’s always talk about moving them around.

This is one of those situations where it was so obvious that Houston was not using a player the right way.

Why take a player whose strength is speed, powerful lower body and burst, can flip his hips like a corner, all the while keeping his pads low then line him up nose to nose with the opposing teams center?

That coaching staff seemed determined to effectively negate his speed advantage, and set things up so it was easier for opposing teams to bracket Oliver away from the play with a double-team from either Guard.

Ol' Wade would have had a thing or two to say to those Houston defensive coaches and how inflexibly locked they were in their alignment scheme.

"I don't understand the people that say, 'Hey, this is our scheme and that guy can't play in it,' a guy that can play, and is a good player, but, 'He can't play in our scheme.' To me, there's something wrong with your scheme," Phillips said. "You adapt the scheme to what the players can do, not what you can think of."

- Wade Phillips

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Aaron Donald shows as 6 foot 1 inch 285 pounds

How is Oliver "even more undersized" then Aaron?  Oliver's Combine numbers show him as 6 foot 1 287 pounds

Please stop using facts, it confuses the people who just read headlines.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Oliver bulked up for the combine.  It is thought that he played last season in the mid 270s.  When he had his pro day, he had already lost several pounds from his combine weight.  I'm not anti-Oliver, but it's doubtful he's going to play at 285 or better.

So we dont think Donald bulked up for the combine?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

Remember when we were widely criticized for moving the "undersized" Kyle Williams to nose tackle for a while?  He only became a top 3 rated NT for the snaps he was there because of his ABILITY and motor.

Pfft, I bet he only blows through triple teams, like, half the time.

Well, then to your point he is only 50% effective.  It would be best to cut him now and spare us the misery of watching him play.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

the 3 doesn't play Nose, dumb writer.

whats with all the pining and lusting ?? Its a little creepy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Well, then to your point he is only 50% effective.  It would be best to cut him now and spare us the misery of watching him play.

Yeah you know the rule here, if he isn't 100% dominant 100% of the time, he's a bust and that salary "could be better spent elsewhere".

1 hour ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Damn, he's getting held and triple teamed and still manages to get good pressure.

But he’s so tiny!!!     ?

I think the fear may be that he added weight for the combine, but he still put up insane quickness numbers. Like INSANE

I remain terrified of this pick, and expect Oliver to have a rough transition to the NFL much like Edmunds did at times. I also thought Edmunds might have to change positions and those guys scare me. OTOH in two years it’s possible we have the best 3T/MLB combo in the NFL. 

I’d be more skeptical if it wasn’t McBeane taking/developing them.

Edited by VW82

49 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

dont you think donald bulked up as well? most guys do

Probably.  More guys do than don't.  Clearly though, it's easier for some than others.  The only reason I bring the issue up is that comments have been made by various individuals, including Ed Oliver's college coach questioning Oliver's ability to maintain a weight over 280.  His game is more about quickness than leverage.  He's so fast at the snap that offensive linemen find themselves struggling to regain position  from the get go.  He demonstrated good strength though at the combine.  The quickness off the snap is the main reason I'm optimistic about his potential in the Bills' defense.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

I think it's a legitimate question to ask.  I also think that, as a 21-year old, he should have no problem adding a good 10-12 lbs over the next 18 months.  As a rookie, he may suffer a bit if he's asked to play 60 snaps/game wtihout the additional bulk.

I don't want him over 295. His quickness is his strength.  

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

They say that, because Aaron Donald has proven himself in the NFL.

Well that certainly is a arguement that cannot be countered seeing as how Oliver has not played a down in the NFL yet.

I am going to say that a extremely productive DT playing out of position in college that is drafted in a year where the DL was supposed to be the strong point of the draft...the chances are pretty good that Oliver might be a pretty good player.

You could say that Quinnen Williams played on a stacked Alabama line.......and comes into the NFL and struggles just as easily

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Aaron Donald shows as 6 foot 1 inch 285 pounds

How is Oliver "even more undersized" then Aaron?  Oliver's Combine numbers show him as 6 foot 1 287 pounds

Kyle was 6’ 1” 303 pounds, when you’re up around 300 pounds does 16 pounds make that much difference?

45 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I don't want him over 295. His quickness is his strength.  

You're probably right, and I think his combine weight is probably his ceiling.  That said, this is a very individualized issue.  Some players can carry more weight without it affecting quickness.  Some can't.  You never really know without doing some experimenting.