Some more Ed Oliver titbits

44 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

In the right scheme — where he can play nose tackle in a three-technique — Oliver could become an All-Pro. Teams may also discover this fall that he is a major project who has to switch positions if he can’t handle NFL-sized offensive linemen. 

A 3 technique isn’t a NT.  No NT regularly lines up on the outside shoulder of the OG.  Typically a NT would line up at 0 or even 1 tech.  A 3 tech is a DT. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

AAC =/= NFL.

Know what I mean?

I know I don't.  Some of the best DT's in the league were not from the big schools.  Some were from a big school but drafted in later rounds.  The point is good football players can come from a lot of different places.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

That third one is my worry. NFL guards are just going to decimate the guy. He's REALLY light.

kyle williams played around 300. you're saying 10-15 pounds is gonna make that big of a difference?  

Just now, aristocrat said:

kyle williams played around 300. you're saying 10-15 pounds is gonna make that big of a difference?  

I worry about it yes. Hey, it could all prove to be unfounded worry, but it is something that I'm concerned about wrt Oliver.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Aaron Donald shows as 6 foot 1 inch 285 pounds

How is Oliver "even more undersized" then Aaron?  Oliver's Combine numbers show him as 6 foot 1 287 pounds

Oliver bulked up for the combine.  It is thought that he played last season in the mid 270s.  When he had his pro day, he had already lost several pounds from his combine weight.  I'm not anti-Oliver, but it's doubtful he's going to play at 285 or better.

Edited by TigerJ

8 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I worry about it yes. Hey, it could all prove to be unfounded worry, but it is something that I'm concerned about wrt Oliver.

I think it's a legitimate question to ask.  I also think that, as a 21-year old, he should have no problem adding a good 10-12 lbs over the next 18 months.  As a rookie, he may suffer a bit if he's asked to play 60 snaps/game wtihout the additional bulk.

3 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Oliver bulked up for the combine.  It is thought that he played last season in the mid 270s.  When he had his pro day, he had already lost several pounds from his combine weight.  I'm not anti-Oliver, but it's doubtful he's going to play at 285 or better.

I think he'll play under 285 if the team wants him to.  In todays sports,  whatever weight desired is easily acheived. 

Just now, White Linen said:

I think he'll play under 285 if the team wants him to.  In todays sports,  whatever weight desired is easily acheived. 

Not necessarily so.  The main reason Jake Fisher attempted a position switch is that he had a difficult time maintaining the weight necessary to play tackle.  Some players struggle to stay at a lower weight because they like to eat (like me).  A few players struggle to keep their weight up to a desired level just because they are high energy guys with a high metabolism.  

11 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

dont you think donald bulked up as well? most guys do

• Like (+1) 1