Some more Ed Oliver titbits

One team ahead of us in the draft - another behind us.

https://deadspin.com/adam-gase-and-the-jets-have-had-a-crazy-ass-week-1834849656

5. Also, just before the draft, per Breer: “The coaches ranked Quinnen Williams above Houston DT Ed Oliver, but gushed over Oliver in meetings. This was seen, again, as coaches covering themselves on both ends of a decision, this time openly lusting for one player while toeing the line on the league-wide consensus that the other was better.”

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/23/falcons-free-agency-gerald-mccoy-interest/

It’s no secret that Atlanta was pining after Ed Oliver in the draft. While the board did not fall their way, adding another strong interior lineman next to Grady Jarrett is still one of the best moves the team could make to improve defensively. 

I dont believe it. Not for a Minute. You are under the Gun .... But .. you also have this

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/the_nfl_draft_prospects_most_likely_to_bust/s1_13132_28896110

Oliver might be the biggest boom-or-bust candidate in this entire class. His athleticism has warranted some scouts to compare him to Aaron Donald, but Oliver is even more undersized than Donald was, as his playing weight was reportedly under 285 pounds. Because of that lack of size, some have called for Oliver to switch to linebacker. 

In the right scheme — where he can play nose tackle in a three-technique — Oliver could become an All-Pro. Teams may also discover this fall that he is a major project who has to switch positions if he can’t handle NFL-sized offensive linemen. 

• Like (+1) 1

Its funny, that we still use measurables to translate success. Yes, you want the athletics to mesh with off the chart measurables... however, we have seen the league transition and have seen all types of players flourish.

I mean, Aaron Donald was undersized for his position when drafted, until he wasnt because of his dominant play. 

End of the day, quality players will shine regardless.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Its funny, that we still use measurables to translate success. Yes, you want the athletics to mesh with off the chart measurables... however, we have seen the league transition and have seen all types of players flourish.

I mean, Aaron Donald was undersized for his position when drafted, until he wasnt because of his dominant play. 

End of the day, quality players will shine regardless.

And switching him to LB because there are so many 285 lb linebackers out there.

I think he will be fine in the schemes that the Bills use. There will be times that bigger o-linemen will get into his chest and he will lose some of those matchups, but pretty confident he  will have more wins than losses.

Remember when we were widely criticized for moving the "undersized" Kyle Williams to nose tackle for a while?  He only became a top 3 rated NT for the snaps he was there because of his ABILITY and motor.

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Absurd.

Image result for ed oliver gif

Pfft, I bet he only blows through triple teams, like, half the time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

That third one is my worry. NFL guards are just going to decimate the guy. He's REALLY light.

That's what they said about Aaron Donald; how did that work out? 

Height used to be important for QBs too, but thats out the window now. 

The game changes; try to keep up. 

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Aaron Donald shows as 6 foot 1 inch 285 pounds

How is Oliver "even more undersized" then Aaron?  Oliver's Combine numbers show him as 6 foot 1 287 pounds

They say that, because Aaron Donald has proven himself in the NFL.