Teams Wanting To Pick 1st in 2020.....

1 hour ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

That's a long-time member of the local media who openly stated that he was willing to give up on Allen after 1 year (granted, Howard hated the Allen pick and went so far as to say that he "didn't want to talk about it" on the morning after last year's draft).

Simon’s just crusty because he never gets drafted as a ‘great sportscaster’ in Schtupp’s ‘Great Sportscaster’ drafts on the afternoon show...

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Does anyone believe that there are NFL Teams that want to tank this season for the top draft selection? I for one do.

The Raiders would seem to fit this description. The will be moving to Vegas so there is little gain for them to win this year. They got rid of Amari Cooper, and now they have Peterman lol! I can see them (and btw the Dolphins too) actually throwing in the towel to draft Tua in 2020. Why not add a huge name to draw bigger fan interest and ticket sales?

This thread isn't completely about Tua mind you. He could (God forbid) have a bad year or get hurt. I mean it is possible but even at that, the 2020 draft looks to be amazing. I am mainly just curious as to how many of you think that a team really would intentionally tank to get a better draft position.

Raiders aren’t tanking, they spent a ton of money.  They may or may not be good, but they sure are not trying to tank.  

Miami yes

4 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

The "Matt Barkley" potential on Tua is very high IMO, ie media builds him up to be sure #1 pick years in advance, then ends up going much later.

Did you mean Matt Leinart?  Barkley was a 4th round pick, so expectations weren't high.  Leinart would've been the top overall pick after his junior year, slipped to #10 (still first round) after his senior year, and finished his career as the sacrificial starting QB in the Bills' last preseason game one season.

5 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Does anyone believe that there are NFL Teams that want to tank this season for the top draft selection? I for one do.

The Raiders would seem to fit this description. The will be moving to Vegas so there is little gain for them to win this year. They got rid of Amari Cooper, and now they have Peterman lol! I can see them (and btw the Dolphins too) actually throwing in the towel to draft Tua in 2020. Why not add a huge name to draw bigger fan interest and ticket sales?

This thread isn't completely about Tua mind you. He could (God forbid) have a bad year or get hurt. I mean it is possible but even at that, the 2020 draft looks to be amazing. I am mainly just curious as to how many of you think that a team really would intentionally tank to get a better draft position.

If Peterman mysteriously beats out Carr in TC and is named the starter I might buy into this.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mannc said:

I did not know Tua was injured for those games. 

I have to say, the ridiculous talent that Alabama is going to be rolling out there every saturday (especially at WR) might make Tua even harder for NFL scouts to evaluate.  I mean, he's going to be throwing all day to guys who are "college open" and who can take it to the house on any given play.    

He really is and 3 of them will be draft eligible and they are stars. One of the (Ruggs) is actually faster than Foster, perhaps even by quite a bit.

I want nothing more than for the Bills to draft one of these 3.

I can see the Jets losing a lot of games as a weak roster and bad chemistry snowball.  But ownership (Christopher Johnson) has such a man crush on Darnold that I don't see them taking any QB in 2020.

Now in 2021, when Woody Johnson gets back . . .

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yeah, 245/355 (69.9%) - 43 TDs/6 Ints. - 199.5 Passer Rating - 2nd in Heisman Voting.....

That really sucks and will help the Bills!

Great :lol::rolleyes::thumbsup:

But how did he do vs the Big Boys ( Clemson)

5 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

But how did he do vs the Big Boys ( Clemson)

He didn't have a good game and the team he faced was the better team that day.

Are you actually dumb enough to suggest that Tua cannot produce in the clutch, or just being a troll?

Edited by Bill from NYC

42 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

He really is and 3 of them will be draft eligible and they are stars. One of the (Ruggs) is actually faster than Foster, perhaps even by quite a bit.

I want nothing more than for the Bills to draft one of these 3.

The guy who really flashed for me was Waddle.  (I know he's not draft-eligible this year.)  The touchdowns he scored against Auburn and Georgia were just insane.  I mean, he totally embarrassed a bunch of NFL caliber DBs after he caught the ball.  And he has hands, too.

Edited by mannc
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

He didn't have a good game and the team he faced was the better team that day.

Are you actually dumb enough to suggest that Tua cannot produce in the clutch, or just being a troll?

Im being dead serious. No way would I draft Tua before the 3rd round. What makes you think Tua is THAT guy

My guess is there's going to be a Tua/Herbert/Fromm debate next year like there were with the four QB's in 2018.  My guess is the Raiders, Bengals, Bucs, and Dolphins will all be potential suitors.  Maybe the Chargers, Saints, or Patriots (god help us) trade up.  I'm still laughing at the Giants btw.

The WR class next year has the potential to be as highly touted as the '14 class so if we don't have a good year we'll be able to get Allen a true #1 WR next draft.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Protocal69 said:

Im being dead serious. No way would I draft Tua before the 3rd round. What makes you think Tua is THAT guy

Have you seen a lot of Tua? His game doesn’t have a lot of (or really any) holes. Accurate, smart, experienced, athletic, with an elite pedigree doesn’t lead to a lot of questions for me. His size maybe is a concern but other than that he’s a big time prospect. He has a very, very, very high floor.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

I'm sorry, I really did think that you were trolling.

Tua is VERY accurate and has a very good arm. Do you like "process" guys? Nick Saban invented the term and he LOVES this kid. Tua said that chose Alabama because he would get the most exposure and he wants to build his father (a minister) a church. I have actually seen him put his arm around Saban. NOBODY does that, and Saban talks about what a great kid he is.

He sees the field like nobody else in the NCAA in terms of reading defenses and is really smart. He has a strong lower body and can run. Is he clutch? You tell me. He came into a championship game in the 2nd half as a true freshman, with his team down, and getting beat. He brought them back to a tie and the Bama kicker missed a chip shot FG for the win, forcing the game into OT. Georgia scored a FG. It was looking so, SO bad. And then this:

I don't think any team goes into the season with the intention of tanking. I do think there comes a point in the season where they start to think about it. It's just really difficult to pull off. Do you sit your QB? Sit all your best players for long stretches? Very tough. The only position you'd tank for is QB, so all the stars have to align to make it worth your while.

GM's in baseball have much longer leashes so you see a ton of major rebuilds. It's far more beneficial to tank in basketball because one top 5 pick(at any position) can immediately transform your team AND it's easier to convince your players to "have a little fun out there." Take (unnecessary) chances. Much more difficult with football.

And obviously, players are not down with a tank so you have to be sly about it.

Edited by LSHMEAB

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I don't think any team goes into the season with the intention of tanking. I do think there comes a point in the season where they start to think about it. It's just really difficult to pull off. Do you sit your QB? Sit all your best players for long stretches? Very tough. The only position you'd tank for is QB, so all the stars have to align to make it worth your while.

GM's in baseball have much longer leashes so you see a ton of major rebuilds. It's far more beneficial to tank in basketball because one top 5 pick(at any position) can immediately transform your team AND it's easier to convince your players to "have a little fun out there." Take (unnecessary) chances. Much more difficult with football.

And obviously, players are not down with a tank so you have to be sly about it.

The most obvious NFL tank job I can remember was the Bills last game of the 2016 season, when they fired Rex, started EJ, and lost to the hapless Jets.  It worked like a charm.  But you’re right; NFL teams don’t tank an entire season.  Not fair to guys who are putting their bodies on the line every Sunday.

Edited by mannc
  • Thank you (+1) 1