NFL makes broadcast changes in 2019

LOL  Maybe ...   This seems to only be for the 1 PM games.  

It really isn't all that clear in above the link.  

lets check SI.com

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2019/05/22/nfl-tv-changes-divisional-playoffs-singleheader-rule

If you don't have Sunday Ticket on DirecTV and you actually like to watch games instead of Red Zone, you are no longer a prisioner to your local team(s). The league announced that it is eliminating its singleheader rule and you will now get three games each Sunday afternoon no matter what market you are in.

So to clarfiy, if you live in New York, for example, many weeks you'd only get the Jets and Giants games, depending on whether FOX or CBS had the doubleheader that week. Now, you will get Jets, Giants and a third game each and every week no matter who has the doubleheader.

Shared market 1 PM games will now see both regional teams AFC and NFC aired 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

NFL makes broadcast changes, including single-header rule and playoff game kickoff times

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-makes-broadcast-changes-including-singleheader-rule-and-playoff-game-kickoff-times-165125881.html

Single-header rule dropped

The more welcome change will likely be the decision to drop the “single-header rule.”

As explained by Ben Fischer of Sports Business Journal, that means that all broadcast markets will get at least three games in the Sunday windows.

So if, for example, you’re a Miami Dolphins fan living in Dallas and both the Dolphins and Cowboys are playing at 1 p.m. ET on CBS and Fox, you’ll get to see both games.

In the past, the Dolphins game would have been blacked out in the Dallas market.

This is a boon for fans who don’t want to shell out for Sunday Ticket and DirecTV, and those who live in markets that have multiple teams, like greater Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, New York or the Bay Area.

How is Miami in the Dallas market?

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

NFL makes broadcast changes, including single-header rule and playoff game kickoff times

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-makes-broadcast-changes-including-singleheader-rule-and-playoff-game-kickoff-times-165125881.html

Single-header rule dropped

The more welcome change will likely be the decision to drop the “single-header rule.”

As explained by Ben Fischer of Sports Business Journal, that means that all broadcast markets will get at least three games in the Sunday windows.

So if, for example, you’re a Miami Dolphins fan living in Dallas and both the Dolphins and Cowboys are playing at 1 p.m. ET on CBS and Fox, you’ll get to see both games.

In the past, the Dolphins game would have been blacked out in the Dallas market.

This is a boon for fans who don’t want to shell out for Sunday Ticket and DirecTV, and those who live in markets that have multiple teams, like greater Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, New York or the Bay Area.

OK, but in your example, while the Dallas market would definitely get the Dallas game, the other network could show any 1:00 game so you might have a 1 in 5 chance or so of getting the Miami game?  The only was to still assure you'll get to see the Miami game is with ST.  And BTW not that I'm advocating for ST either.

This is great, I live in the Chicago market, and often times the only early game shown is the Bears, who I have zero interest in. While I doubt the extra game that'll be shown will ever be the Bills (unless it's vs the Pats), I welcome any alternative to seeing Bears/Lions for the 80th time. I usually watch Red Zone channel anyway, but if a good game is on, I'll watch that instead.

17 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

OK, but in your example, while the Dallas market would definitely get the Dallas game, the other network could show any 1:00 game so you might have a 1 in 5 chance or so of getting the Miami game?  The only was to still assure you'll get to see the Miami game is with ST.  And BTW not that I'm advocating for ST either.

Not my example   Examples of the writer who clearly didn't use the proper teams 

My examples : 

Dallas and Houston

Miami or JAX and Tampa 

Falcons and Titans

Rams and Chargers 

Colts and Chi or GB or Minn or Detroit 

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

What does it matter? We only play 1 pm games.?

Still doesn't help a Bills fan living in Jacksonville..

I hear ya.....being an hour south of Tampa is a PITA too!  I have found a decent bar where a smallish number of Bills backers are....thats a plus.

• Like (+1) 1

as usual BB.com is slow on the news 

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-today-lorenzo-alexander-and-frank-gore-rank-among-top-nfl-players-over-35

The NFL has also eliminated the single-header rule after a one-year test.

Although it does not impact the Bills fans in Buffalo as much it will be impactful in markets with multiple teams like the Bay Area, Southern California, and Washington D.C.

The Super Bowl will now have four commercial breaks per quarter instead of five.

Will digital cable ever pick up Sunday Ticket? I'm so sick of DirecTv... The new Genie is horrendous and I only have DirecTV cuz I know the Sunday Ticket is only on that provider...

I tried watching the games on a fire stick but it's not the same... Occasional buffering drives you insane... Does anybody know if and when the NFL will get out of whatever contract it has with DirecTV?

7 hours ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

Will digital cable ever pick up Sunday Ticket? I'm so sick of DirecTv... The new Genie is horrendous and I only have DirecTV cuz I know the Sunday Ticket is only on that provider...

I tried watching the games on a fire stick but it's not the same... Occasional buffering drives you insane... Does anybody know if and when the NFL will get out of whatever contract it has with DirecTV?

LOL    As with anything new you'll get used to it.   

But I agree the User Interface and search functions are bad.  Recording a Series works (I want to say 99%) 95% of the time. (I've had 2 series where it wouldn't auto record out of 40 shows)

Look up the NFL Sunday Ticket thread.   you might find an answer .  but as usual those turn to how much one pays for service. 

10 hours ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

In Canada the online streaming DAZN snaked it away from the cable package, it's not the best, and now cable offers the NFL for $300 a season when it used to be included in the bachelor's paradise sports package for $1 a day...  :(

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

In Canada the online streaming DAZN snaked it away from the cable package, it's not the best, and now cable offers the NFL for $300 a season when it used to be included in the bachelor's paradise sports package for $1 a day...  :(

That's around the same price DirecTV charges... As long as it's ground cable and doesn't rely on satellites, I'd say it's worth it...

Edited by HuSeYiN_NYC

53 minutes ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

That's around the same price DirecTV charges... As long as it's ground cable and doesn't rely on satellites, I'd say it's worth it...

the $1.25 a day gives me basically every MLB/NBA/NHL tons of NCAA hoops and football and all kinds of other stuff

used to include every NFL game as well...

now the same price and they want another $300 for the NFL games....

talking to NYC fans at a Nats game a few years ago and i couldn't believe how they were screwed over by network restrictions for games televised