Sign in to follow this  
ShadyBillsFan

NFL makes broadcast changes in 2019

Posted (edited)

NFL makes broadcast changes, including single-header rule and playoff game kickoff times

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-makes-broadcast-changes-including-singleheader-rule-and-playoff-game-kickoff-times-165125881.html

Single-header rule dropped

The more welcome change will likely be the decision to drop the “single-header rule.”

As explained by Ben Fischer of Sports Business Journal, that means that all broadcast markets will get at least three games in the Sunday windows.

So if, for example, you’re a Miami Dolphins fan living in Dallas and both the Dolphins and Cowboys are playing at 1 p.m. ET on CBS and Fox, you’ll get to see both games.

In the past, the Dolphins game would have been blacked out in the Dallas market.

This is a boon for fans who don’t want to shell out for Sunday Ticket and DirecTV, and those who live in markets that have multiple teams, like greater Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, New York or the Bay Area.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Posted (edited)
Related image
Edited by HOUSE

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

This is a boon for fans...who live in markets that have multiple teams, like...Los Angeles..:

Give ‘em a few years, and they’ll have toddled off to ‘greener pastures’.  😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

they address the  1 p.m. games....   why not the 4 p.m. games too?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

they address the  1 p.m. games....   why not the 4 p.m. games too?

What does it matter? We only play 1 pm games.😂

Still doesn't help a Bills fan living in Jacksonville..

• Like (+1) 2

As to  Sunday Ticket and DirecTV.... 

Your team has to be on the national broadcast to list be able to say no to NFLST

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

Good point.     I stand corrected 

Pizza and wing joints reeling from the changes to their Sunday schedules, cry ‘foul’! (fowl?)

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Pizza and wing joints reeling from the changes to their Sunday schedules, cry ‘foul’! (fowl?)

A recent news outlet has reported that they gave the NFL the "BIRD".

• Haha (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Still doesn't help a Bills fan living in Jacksonville..

No hope for someone living in Jacksonville...

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

No hope for someone living in Jacksonville...

Regarding football, or is that an overall indictment of that happy corner of the ‘Sunshine State’?  😁

• Like (+1) 1

I like all three changes!

also there was this:

Fewer commercial breaks in Super Bowl

NFL owners also announced something that had been reported earlier this month: Super Bowl LIV, to be broadcast on Fox, will have four commercial breaks per quarter, down from five per quarter in recent years.”

Each break will be 30 seconds longer.  But still.....

8 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Regarding football, or is that an overall indictment of that happy corner of the ‘Sunshine State’?  😁

Overall... 😛

• Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

I like all three changes!

also there was this:

Fewer commercial breaks" in Super Bowl

NFL owners also announced something that had been reported earlier this month: Super Bowl LIV, to be broadcast on Fox, will have four commercial breaks per quarter, down from five per quarter in recent years.”

Each break will be 30 seconds longer.  But still.....

Fewer commercial breaks - but how much longer will that spot last?

11 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Fewer commercial breaks - but how much longer will that spot last?

They better be good commercials!  😁

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

NFL makes broadcast changes, including single-header rule and playoff game kickoff times

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-makes-broadcast-changes-including-singleheader-rule-and-playoff-game-kickoff-times-165125881.html

The more welcome change will likely be the decision to drop the “single-header rule.”

As explained by Ben Fischer of Sports Business Journal, that means that all broadcast markets will get at least three games in the Sunday windows.

So if, for example, you’re a Miami Dolphins fan living in Dallas and both the Dolphins and Cowboys are playing at 1 p.m. ET on CBS and Fox, you’ll get to see both games.

In the past, the Dolphins game would have been blacked out in the Dallas market.

This is a boon for fans who don’t want to shell out for Sunday Ticket and DirecTV, and those who live in markets that have multiple teams, like greater Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, New York or the Bay Area.

I'm confused.  I've seen plenty of out of town games on CBS while the Redskins are playing on Fox at the same time.  Did I not?  Am I missing something?

2 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

I'm confused.  I've seen plenty of out of town games on CBS while the Redskins are playing on Fox at the same time.  Did I not?  Am I missing something?

Just mark it down as a  crappy example.

I can assume that the National Broadcast for both CBS and FOX will be aired inmost markets while factoring in regional coverage) 

Washington and Baltimore share a market.

Those in Virginia might miss out on the Ravens game because it would have been FOX's weekend to host the double header.  Or if it was CBS's week the reverse in Baltimore. 

Again, my best guess 

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Just mark it down as a  crappy example.

I can assume that the National Broadcast for both CBS and FOX will be aired inmost markets while factoring in regional coverage) 

Washington and Baltimore share a market.

Those in Virginia might miss out on the Ravens game because it would have been FOX's weekend to host the double header.  Or if it was CBS's week the reverse in Baltimore. 

Again, my best guess 

Ah, so what you're saying is that, when FOX has a doubleheader, I won't have to watch bowling at 4 PM on CBS?  It'll now be an NFL game, regardless of market?

• Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

LOL  Maybe ...   This seems to only be for the 1 PM games.  

It really isn't all that clear in above the link.  

lets check SI.com

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2019/05/22/nfl-tv-changes-divisional-playoffs-singleheader-rule

If you don't have Sunday Ticket on DirecTV and you actually like to watch games instead of Red Zone, you are no longer a prisioner to your local team(s). The league announced that it is eliminating its singleheader rule and you will now get three games each Sunday afternoon no matter what market you are in.

So to clarfiy, if you live in New York, for example, many weeks you'd only get the Jets and Giants games, depending on whether FOX or CBS had the doubleheader that week. Now, you will get Jets, Giants and a third game each and every week no matter who has the doubleheader.

Shared market 1 PM games will now see both regional teams AFC and NFC aired 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

How is Miami in the Dallas market?

Just now, matter2003 said:

How is Miami in the Dallas market?

LOL   I have no clue

Lets pretend there that the Miami game is the National Broadcast for CBS.   trying to sort out that bad example is making my head hurt. 

• Meh 1

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Lets pretend there that the Miami game is the National Broadcast for CBS. 

Because everyone likes to watch a train wreck.  Better yet, someone turn on the Jets game!  😁

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

OK, but in your example, while the Dallas market would definitely get the Dallas game, the other network could show any 1:00 game so you might have a 1 in 5 chance or so of getting the Miami game?  The only was to still assure you'll get to see the Miami game is with ST.  And BTW not that I'm advocating for ST either.