Pizza: How Important Is the Outer Crust?

Gugny

Pizza: How Important Is the Outer Crust?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Pizza: How Important Is the Outer Crust?

• It makes or breaks the pizza. A decent pizza can't have average outer crust.
    • The main crust is the most important, but the outer crust is still significantly important.
    • It's all about the main crust. Outer crust isn't even necessary.
    • I hate the outer crust. Usually toss it, or give it to the dog.

12 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I don't see how you can have a good "outer crust" without a good "inner crust".  Its the same dough.  If you make it right and cook it right, you'll get great results.  What I look for is the size of the crumb in the "outer crust" and crispiness/char on the bottom of the pie.  Can the crust support the weight of the slice with a slight bend?  

A well made cold fermented pizza dough will produce a crust that even a basic mouth-breathing, picky eating, TBD man-child will happily eat and enjoy.

I think you’re too late. We’ve moved on to hookers. Where do you stand there? 

6 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

The correct term is sex worker.  They're called hookers after you've "finished" and they're dead.

Let’s get back to pizza, I’d hate to see you implicate yourself here. 

9 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

The pizza crust was outstanding over at lock city. I’ve had a ton of pizzas and this was just done right.

If the outer crust was too hard, too gooey, or poorly seasoned ... would that have made you think less of the pizza?

• Haha (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Anyone ever made no-knead pizza dough?  I am going to make some tonight and give it a 48-72 hour cold ferment for pies this weekend.

https://food52.com/recipes/16641-jim-lahey-s-no-knead-pizza-dough-margherita-pie

Anyone got a recipe for Bocce/La Nova style pizza sauce?

I've never had any knead for this kind of dough.

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Anyone ever made no-knead pizza dough?  I am going to make some tonight and give it a 48-72 hour cold ferment for pies this weekend.

https://food52.com/recipes/16641-jim-lahey-s-no-knead-pizza-dough-margherita-pie

That's a cool dough recipe.

When I make sauce (San Marzanos and a few spices), I've been using a blender.  I'm going to try the "hand-squeezed" method mentioned in this recipe.

I have had great success making this dough recipe but it does take some kneading and I've found the order of operations in mixing affects the final product (although it was probably just dead yeast, temp, humidity). 

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/master-dough-with-starter-51255340

The finished product has been amazing.  The few disasters have been: old yeast AND stretching/launching cold dough.  Now if in doubt I check dough temp with an instant read thermometer.  

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Paciotti (Bocce Club) says he uses fresh Mill flour for the dough..every morning.he doesn't use oil for the out ring of the crust...he spreads the cheese(Sorrento bricks) on the outside for the burn.

Edited by Misterbluesky

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.