Pizza: How Important Is the Outer Crust?

Gugny

Pizza: How Important Is the Outer Crust?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Pizza: How Important Is the Outer Crust?

• It makes or breaks the pizza. A decent pizza can't have average outer crust.
    • The main crust is the most important, but the outer crust is still significantly important.
    • It's all about the main crust. Outer crust isn't even necessary.
    • I hate the outer crust. Usually toss it, or give it to the dog.

54 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

On the subject of pizza etiquette; I feel that I'm compelled to relive the horrors of yesterday evening.

On Friday evening, I watched the future mother of my children do something unthinkable. First off, she ordered a vegetable-heavy pizza which includes the middle portion of the base being cut out and replaced with salad. She then ate it with a knife and fork, like a complete and utter psychopath.

There's no chance that I can marry this woman after that, surely.

At first, I was horrified at this.

Then I thought, "Well, she's eating vegetables. Bloke's got a decent fiancee/wife then."

Pics? ?

Edited by Seasons1992
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Blokestradamus said:

On the subject of pizza etiquette; I feel that I'm compelled to relive the horrors of yesterday evening.

On Friday evening, I watched the future mother of my children do something unthinkable. First off, she ordered a vegetable-heavy pizza which includes the middle portion of the base being cut out and replaced with salad. She then ate it with a knife and fork, like a complete and utter psychopath.

That’s a really strange thing for a hooker to do. Are you sure you didn’t order incorrectly?

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Local place in Buffalo that makes a pretty good pizza....except the "edge crust" is like a rock, to the point where I'm always afraid I'm going to break a tooth if I bite into it.

And if the outer crust wasn't as important as it is, this would have never been mentioned.  Thanks, Blue!

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

And if the outer crust wasn't as important as it is, this would have never been mentioned.  Thanks, Blue!

Wrong again.  Blue saying that he is always afraid indicates that he keeps going back to the place.  Good pie does not need any "outer crust" which is why he keeps returning.

What if you put the “outer crust” in the middle, thereby significantly reducing the circumference. More emphasis on actual pizza.  Take the sauce, cheese and toppings all the way to the edge. The new “inner crust”  would be like the worm at the bottom of a tequila bottle! I like that analogy! Gugny for King of the Crust! And worms.....

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/24/2019 at 8:07 AM, Gugny said:

There was a brutal debate earlier in the Shout Box about pizza crust.

Harsh words were said.  One person was told he was dumb.  I've never seen so many insults in all my years here.

But ... I digress ....

Pizza.  Most of us love it.  All of us have our favorites.  Some idiots even like pineapple on theirs .... not that there's anything wrong with that.

But I'm here to talk about THE CRUST.  Specifically, the OUTER CRUST.

I love the outer crust.  Sure the main crust, to me, is probably most important.  But only a well-made pizza has a decent outer crust.

I'm interested to know what you think about this topic.

And please .... be careful with your words.  Once you hit ENTER, you can't take them back.

And remember ... when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie .... that's amore, my friends.

I’m coeliac, the pizza is ordinary at the best of times. There’s a good place though down the road that just started doing GF and makes a decent base. That said, as soon as I read the title, the answer was that it doesn’t matter as the dog has gotten the crust for a so long that reading the answers i laughed when I saw that option.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:45 AM, Blokestradamus said:

C'mon Bro, cut her a break if she is into the Bills and the Tide. How many times do you think you will score like that? ;)

7 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

It made me laugh, to be honest. I don't really talk about her because I've got a reputation to uphold.

A hooker is par for the course with that, if only I wasn't also cheap.

This is now quite the thread, hookers and pizza crust.  What’s the commonality, yeast? 

• Haha (+1) 1

I don't see how you can have a good "outer crust" without a good "inner crust".  Its the same dough.  If you make it right and cook it right, you'll get great results.  What I look for is the size of the crumb in the "outer crust" and crispiness/char on the bottom of the pie.  Can the crust support the weight of the slice with a slight bend?  

A well made cold fermented pizza dough will produce a crust that even a basic mouth-breathing, picky eating, TBD man-child will happily eat and enjoy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.