Pizza: How Important Is the Outer Crust?

Gugny

Pizza: How Important Is the Outer Crust?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Pizza: How Important Is the Outer Crust?

• It makes or breaks the pizza. A decent pizza can't have average outer crust.
    • The main crust is the most important, but the outer crust is still significantly important.
    • It's all about the main crust. Outer crust isn't even necessary.
    • I hate the outer crust. Usually toss it, or give it to the dog.

34 minutes ago, mead107 said:

How about frozen pizza ? 

25 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I love me some 2 for $6 specials.

I still throw away the edge.  The edge DOESN'T make the pizza contrary to what this corrupt, bastardization of a poll indicates.  LoL...

I bought an inexpensive, thin crust, margherita pizza today.  I should take this opportunity to clarify something about the outer crust ..... I prefer it not to be significantly thicker than the main crust.  It shouldn't be this big, puffy ring of dough.  It's simply the exposed portion of the dough.  A small difference in thickness; not much at all.

This debunks the "bread stick," theory that some have presented.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I bought an inexpensive, thin crust, margherita pizza today.  I should take this opportunity to clarify something about the outer crust ..... I prefer it not to be significantly thicker than the main crust.  It shouldn't be this big, puffy ring of dough.  It's simply the exposed portion of the dough.  A small difference in thickness; not much at all.

This debunks the "bread stick," theory that some have presented.

This is a very important distinction! Some “outer crusts” look like the Cat Woman after plastic surgery and an overdose of Botox in her lips!  That’s just plain wrong. It’s approaching ranch vs blue cheese territory. WRONG, I tell you! 

I want....a nice little crunch in my little crust....More is not always better. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I bet my (eventually) Egg makes a nice pizza pie.

I have no idea. I’ve never used your future egg to make pizza. I think I just figured out what I’m going to do this weekend. I’ll send you pics. ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I have no idea. I’ve never used your future egg to make pizza. I think I just figured out what I’m going to do this weekend. I’ll send you pics. ?

I sure hope you’re talking about pizza! 

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

This is why they invented calzones - no outer crusts.

The hand-held pizza pot pie! 

18 hours ago, mead107 said:

How about frozen pizza ? 

Bagel Bites are all about the crust, I cook the bejeezus out of them for extra crunch! A little Texas Pete on top and you’ve got something! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.