Pizza: How Important Is the Outer Crust?

Gugny

Pizza: How Important Is the Outer Crust?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Pizza: How Important Is the Outer Crust?

• It makes or breaks the pizza. A decent pizza can't have average outer crust.
    • The main crust is the most important, but the outer crust is still significantly important.
    • It's all about the main crust. Outer crust isn't even necessary.
    • I hate the outer crust. Usually toss it, or give it to the dog.

32 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You didn’t get me fully to commit!  I said I like pepperoni on the crust! Sauce is fine too!

? then you are the anti OP. (& I said you were leaning towards the light, not that I convinced you.)

Edited by Cripple Creek

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

This I must dispute...pizza historians of old have long held that the portion of the crust under the other ingredients (variously described as the 'undercrust' or 'secondary crust') is subject to various temperature and moistness gradients due to both its proximity to the cooking surface and by being submerged beneath any given number of ingredient spheres, including but not limited to cheese and tomato sauce. Thus the outer crust, by nature disinterred and cooked unencumbered by aforementioned ingredients, is correctly established as a separate entity from the colloquial 'crust' as a whole notwithstanding personal preference as to the portion of the pie most favored. 

Then why do we not say “did you like the crusts?”

1 hour ago, snafu said:

Rectangular.  Crust isn't regular NY style or as thick as Sicilian.  There's less cheese, more sauce.  More Oregano seasoning, or basil leaves. An old school, home made type of pie.

1200px-Grandma-pizza-01.jpg

We don’t have a name for it, but when we first started making pizza at home they were often shaped like.......Texas, or sometimes Kentucky. We got better over time. 

4 hours ago, SDS said:

I should probably clarify something here because we have some very unscrupulous topic starters that change the argument in their favor. The original statement was that the outer crust, specifically the outer crust, was the best part of the pizza. THE BEST PART. 

Now it was astutely pointed out that you probably can’t have a bad outer crust without having a bad bottom. But that was not the issue. The question at hand in the shoutbox was if the outer crust was the best part of the pizza. 

4 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

I bear witness.  @Gugny has understated his case in the title, to his great shame, and I demand answer!

4 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

I can confirm that this was in fact the chain of events.

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I third. I am here to testify. 

(Don't ask, I can't sleep. I should have listened to your treatise on the ill effects of Monster Energy?

Since the crust, whether under the sauce/toppings, or on the outside, unmolested, is the same piece of dough - one would likely think that it would taste the same.

I, personally, add a fresh coating of olive oil and a special blend of spices to my exposed dough prior to putting it into the oven.

I would also like to point out the diversion that we're seeing from the most important part of my original post ... cruel and unusual punishment/abuse.

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Since the crust, whether under the sauce/toppings, or on the outside, unmolested, is the same piece of dough - one would likely think that it would taste the same.

I, personally, add a fresh coating of olive oil and a special blend of spices to my exposed dough prior to putting it into the oven.

I would also like to point out the diversion that we're seeing from the most important part of my original post ... cruel and unusual punishment/abuse.

The clowns are testing your leadership skills.

Don't bow down.

Crust is King.

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Your original post went something like this...

Someone mentioned round pizza cut into squares.  You called this “an abomination to God.” You then went on to explain that square cut pizza by default had slices without the barren “outer crust, which was the best part of the pizza.”

When you were politely asked to clarify you stood your ground.  When the fallacy of what you said actually occurred to you you came here and created a poll that in no way/shape/form resembles what you originally said in the box.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

This is all fun and games for those of you in WNY or access to good pizza. This is nothing but a giant tease for the rest of us! I feel like I’m back in my early years of high school! 

So so you are saying that you feel teased by all of us old nasty men in this thread? That’s sad and pathetic. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloBill said:

So so you are saying that you feel teased by all of us old nasty men in this thread? That’s sad and pathetic. 

NO! You are all a disgusting bunch of flabby old men!

(OK, maybe that’s just me....)

But there have been some very sexy pictures posted here! 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.