Pizza: How Important Is the Outer Crust?

Gugny

Pizza: How Important Is the Outer Crust?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Pizza: How Important Is the Outer Crust?

• It makes or breaks the pizza. A decent pizza can't have average outer crust.
    • The main crust is the most important, but the outer crust is still significantly important.
    • It's all about the main crust. Outer crust isn't even necessary.
    • I hate the outer crust. Usually toss it, or give it to the dog.

5 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I like a nice thick outer crust.  I prefer a good Sicilian (thick) pizza or a deep dish" with a sturdy bottom.   Just don't give me a pizza with gooey dough.  

By definition of a "dish"  I guess you could call it that     That ^^ is pizza crust in the shape of a bowl filled with stuff.  Like a Shepard's Pie or a Pot Pie.

Now this is a Thick Sicilian Pizza.   (God I miss Nino's) 

Ninis-Pizza.jpg   636577509440646766-ADAM-NINOMAIN.jpg?wid

I love Sicilian pizza, but it is very hard to find.  I don't think any of the chains make it and probably not 1 in 10 local places do.  On the other hand, I don't consider Chicago style pizza, pizza. 

5 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I love Sicilian pizza, but it is very hard to find.  I don't think any of the chains make it and probably not 1 in 10 local places do.  On the other hand, I don't consider Chicago style pizza, pizza. 

NYC (and Long Island).

Every single Pizzeria serves sicilian.

Very recently, most also have started making Granny style (sometimes also called Brooklyn style).

Edited by snafu

2 minutes ago, snafu said:

NYC (and Long Island).

Every single Pizzeria serves sicilian.

Very recently, most also have started making Granny style (sometimes also called Brooklyn style).

I never get to NYC or Long Island but if I do I will keep this in mind.   What is Granny style pizza?

16 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I never get to NYC or Long Island but if I do I will keep this in mind.   What is Granny style pizza?

Rectangular.  Crust isn't regular NY style or as thick as Sicilian.  There's less cheese, more sauce.  More Oregano seasoning, or basil leaves. An old school, home made type of pie.

1200px-Grandma-pizza-01.jpg

13 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

False. It makes three of us. A great crust MAKES the pizza. A lousy crust can't be hidden

Nobody is saying that you can have a good pizza with lousy crust. What you and 1.5 others (I have 716 leaning) have said is that the bare outer crust sans sauce, sans toppings, sans cheese is the best Bart of a pizza pie.  More power to you.

35 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Nobody is saying that you can have a good pizza with lousy crust. What you and 1.5 others (I have 716 leaning) have said is that the bare outer crust sans sauce, sans toppings, sans cheese is the best Bart of a pizza pie.  More power to you.

You didn’t get me fully to commit!  I said I like pepperoni on the crust! Sauce is fine too!

1 hour ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Basin Pontillos is by far the best pontillos.That being said I have always been a J&L’s guy

We had J and Ls recently and it was good. They had outstanding boneless wings actually. Even perinton pizza is good. There’s so many above average pizza places around here. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.