Pizza: How Important Is the Outer Crust?

Gugny

Pizza: How Important Is the Outer Crust?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Pizza: How Important Is the Outer Crust?

• It makes or breaks the pizza. A decent pizza can't have average outer crust.
    • The main crust is the most important, but the outer crust is still significantly important.
    • It's all about the main crust. Outer crust isn't even necessary.
    • I hate the outer crust. Usually toss it, or give it to the dog.

9 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

It seems the louder the anti-outer-crusters argue and beat their chests, they are recognizing how they are in the minority in this argument.

Y'all (@ExiledinIllinois, @fl az fan, @SDS, @Mike in Horseheads, @Cripple Creek) need to look at the poll results.

Over 75% of the voters believe the outer crust is the most important or significantly important to a good pizza.

It's ok to admit you're wrong. Just get it over with.

As you may or may not know, counselor, the argumentative individual who started this thread stated unequivocally, on the record, that the outer, barren wasteland, crust was the most important and delicious part of a pizza.  

An astute observer suggested that he switch to breadsticks.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

It seems the louder the anti-outer-crusters argue and beat their chests, they are recognizing how they are in the minority in this argument.

Y'all (@ExiledinIllinois, @fl az fan, @SDS, @Mike in Horseheads, @Cripple Creek) need to look at the poll results.

Over 75% of the voters believe the outer crust is the most important or significantly important to a good pizza.

I never voted.  @Gugny got the Russians to hack the ballot.

@LeviF91 wants answers and possibly his vote changed:

"I bear witness.  @Gugny has understated his case in the title, to his great shame, and I demand answer!"

You're either with us or for the shamelessly constructed poll & manipulation of the poll data.

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

"I bear witness.  @Gugny has understated his case in the title, to his great shame, and I demand answer!"

You're either with us or for the shamelessly constructed poll & manipulation of the poll data.

There are two ways to win an argument. One is to actually be correct.

8 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

As you may or may not know, counselor, the argumentative individual who started this thread stated unequivocally, on the record, that the outer, barren wasteland, crust was the most important and delicious part of a pizza.  

An astute observer suggested that he switch to breadsticks.

#Analytics #statsdon'tlie

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

#Analytics #2019Poll #outercrust

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Honestly, I'm disappointed you didn't weigh in on this very important topic.

crust is just one of those things.  it's such a personal choice.  i've been on the thin crust train for a long time, so i'm not an expert.  for me it's consistency.  if it's not cooked enough or ends up being too chewy, you can throw that ***** in the trash.  for those of us in rochester, there's a chain in pontillos in the area.  for some reason, most of them have become terrible.  there is one however in the bushnells basin area that's magical.  it was our go to.  the last two times we've ordered, i'm not sure if they rushed the pizza, but it was far under cooked.  they're now dead to me.

edit:  oh...to answer, the inner crust to me is more important.  if it doesn't hold the cheese, sauce, and toppings, (the money part of the pizza) it's useless.  i typically don't finish the outer crust on any pizza.

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, teef said:

crust is just one of those things.  it's such a personal choice.  i've been on the thin crust train for a long time, so i'm not an expert.  for me it's consistency.  if it's not cooked enough or ends up being too chewy, you can throw that ***** in the trash.  for those of us in rochester, there's a chain in pontillos in the area.  for some reason, most of them have become terrible.  there is one however in the bushnells basin area that's magical.  it was our go to.  the last two times we've ordered, i'm not sure if they rushed the pizza, but it was far under cooked.  they're now dead to me.

But, fine sir, the obfuscating OP stated, on the record, that the outside edge of a pizza (he calls it the outer crust) is the best part of the pie. (You know, that bare portion that you use to hold your slice)

Intelligent folks are left to wonder why he bothers with sauce, toppings or cheese.  After, bare crust is, to him, the best part.

1 hour ago, SDS said:

I should probably clarify something here because we have some very unscrupulous topic starters that change the argument in their favor. The original statement was that the outer crust, specifically the outer crust, was the best part of the pizza. THE BEST PART. 

Now it was astutely pointed out that you probably can’t have a bad outer crust without having a bad bottom. But that was not the issue. The question at hand in the shoutbox was if the outer crust was the best part of the pizza. 

The best part of the pizza?  What the...?

5 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

But, fine sir, the obfuscating OP stated, on the record, that the outside edge of a pizza (he calls it the outer crust) is the best part of the pie. (You know, that bare portion that you use to hold your slice)

Intelligent folks are left to wonder why he bothers with sauce, toppings or cheese.  After, bare crust is, to him, the best part.

that's understandable.  let's look at it this way.  i love going out for dinner and drinks.  i love nothing more than having a nice mixed drink before and during dinner.  now, as much as i love the drinks, i'm there for the dinner.  that was the driving force, and that's what i'll talk about later.  the outer crust is like the drinks...very important...adds to the meal, but doesn't have me talking about it later.

in no world is the crust the best part of the pizza.  it's just there for moral support.

Edited by teef

Just now, Doc said:

The best part of the pizza?  What the...?

I know! That's why everyone is having a hard time processing this. It is is so out there, everyone just assumes he is talking about the WHOLE crust. That couldn't be further from the truth.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

The bolded part -- this is deceptive posting right here.  There's no pizza without crust (outer, under, inner, whatever).  100% of people believe that crust is important.  It is the platform for the other components that make up a pizza.

In fact there have been many people who've chimed in on the fact that the "outer" crust only exists if the sauce, cheese, and toppings are not extended all the way out to the perimeter of the dough.  Of course if the un-topped dough sucks, then the entire pizza is likely to suck.

Perhaps the proper poll question would have been:  "should the sauce, cheese and toppings be extended to the edges of the dough?"  Or better yet: "who here likes plain pizza dough?"

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

This is an Edwardo's (Natural) Chicago Deep Dish. I guess the edge is "outer."

20081126EdwardsoWholePizza.jpg

I like the Edwardo's stuffed:

09-wd0709-chicago-style-stuffed-pizza-2.

180°...Chicago Thin (or cracker) Crust:

41703-sfs-chicago-thin-crust-pizza-22

https://steemit.com/food/@rulesforrebels/the-biggest-myth-about-chicago-pizza-or-true-chicago-pizza-is-tavern-cut-thin-crust-not-deep-dish

pizza.jpg

There is a place near us who brags about their deep dish pizza. When I got there I learned you have to get the entire pie, and it takes at least 40 minutes to get said deep dish pizza, so no, they don’t really offer a reasonable deep dish option for dining in.  

There was a place near us in Florida who had great deep dish by the slice. I went there often for lunch. When it sold, the new owner had other ideas on deep dish by the slice, and I had other ideas on where to go for lunch. 

8 minutes ago, SDS said:

I know! That's why everyone is having a hard time processing this. It is is so out there, everyone just assumes he is talking about the WHOLE crust. That couldn't be further from the truth.

However, the whole exchange and poll is then invalid.  It is built on the absolutely false idea that there are somehow two crusts.  There are not.  The crust is the crust.  Therefore, the conversation is really about the crust that extends beyond, or perhaps, over, the other components of the pizza.  While, I suppose maybe there is some combination of events that might render the crust beyond or over the other ingredients to be “good” while the portion of the crust under the other ingredients is “bad” there are not two crusts.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I think you are beginning to burn your bridges here.....?

He knows what he's doing..........

image.png.b349d62af95e02a47700a3f44a108d4c.png

1 hour ago, LeviF91 said:

I bear witness.  @Gugny has understated his case in the title, to his great shame, and I demand answer!

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

However, the whole exchange and poll is then invalid.  It is built on the absolutely false idea that there are somehow two crusts.  There are not.  The crust is the crust.  Therefore, the conversation is really about the crust that extends beyond, or perhaps, over, the other components of the pizza.  While, I suppose maybe there is some combination of events that might render the crust beyond or over the other ingredients to be “good” while the portion of the crust under the other ingredients is “bad” there are not two crusts.

Oh wise and wonderful human being, it is obvious that you are able to separate the wheat from the chaff, the good from the bad, the Gugny from intelligent humans.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBill said:

This I must dispute...pizza historians of old have long held that the portion of the crust under the other ingredients (variously described as the 'undercrust' or 'secondary crust') is subject to various temperature and moistness gradients due to both its proximity to the cooking surface and by being submerged beneath any given number of ingredient spheres, including but not limited to cheese and tomato sauce. Thus the outer crust, by nature disinterred and cooked unencumbered by aforementioned ingredients, is correctly established as a separate entity from the colloquial 'crust' as a whole notwithstanding personal preference as to the portion of the pie most favored. 

46 minutes ago, teef said:

edit:  oh...to answer, the inner crust to me is more important.  if it doesn't hold the cheese, sauce, and toppings, (the money part of the pizza) it's useless.  i typically don't finish the outer crust on any pizza.

Basin Pontillos is by far the best pontillos.That being said I have always been a J&L’s guy

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.